1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Illuminated Door Sills

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by peterjmc, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a problem with PC at the moment not showing pictures. It does show thumbnails but not full size. The switches are not mounted in the doors, but on the shut panel by the rear seat.

John (Britprius)

2. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I installed my illuminated front and rear door sills today. Here are my thoughts

I ordered them from simmi3300 on ebay for 100 bucks. As other posters have mentioned, they sure did stink like oil/grease/something when they arrived. I let them air out in my garage for a few days before I did the install.

Overall, I don't think I would recommend buying these over the OEM Front illuminated only sill plates. While having the rear door illuminated is nice, I felt the quality wasn't there. Specfically, you need to stick them on top of your existing plastic door sills to make a good bond. Even then, they are not exactly "stuck" to the plastic and seem to pop up a little. I'm not sure what the long term durability will be, but I could imagine the front of someone's foot popping them off.

Regardless, here are some tips if you do decide to go this route.

• Front installation is pretty straight forward. Follow the directions already posted or what comes with the OEM Sills.
    • Rear installation you want to remove the side cover so you can get access to the door switch. Do this by removing this 12mm bolt
    • prius-sill-bolt.png
    • Which then you can easily see the door switch to tap into:
    • prius-sill-rearwire.png
    • It's the green wire. You'll tap that into the black wire on the harness.
    • Then all you need to do is run the red wire up to your front sill wires.
    Here are some (craptacular) pics.

prius-sill-front.png

prius-sill-rear.png

3. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone know if any aftermarket illuminated door sills for the Prius C? I love my Gen III Door Sills… lots of compliments….

Thanks everybody

4. Ridder

Ridder Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My sills are the same as PaJa's and they are still working and still attached to the car although I took off the black plastic sills and stuck em on the paint/metal.
    No problems with the provided tape.

5. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice.... Anyone know of any sills that will fit the Prius V body or if the Gen3 sills will fit? Will they wire up the same way?

Or any luck on the sills for the C?

Thank you my fellow Prii owners...

Happy upcoming new year

6. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's been quite a few years since I added the sill plates and I just wanted to provide an update. Unfortunately the front door sills developed some rust and the driver side light went out. If I had to do it again, I would just have installed the OEM lighted sill plates from Toyota than cheapo ones from ebay.

Inza2, Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Certain Canadian cars came with the illuminated door sills as part of the package (Touring and Technology packages for 2010). It's still working fine. I changed out the front door courtesy lights to red LEDs. They complement the blue PRIUS and HSD symbol well when the front doors are opened.

8. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    as much as i wanted the rear ones to light up i went for the oem toyota ones. didn't like how the ebay ones stuck on top of the oem ones and liked how they cliped in all like factory items

sfv41901 likes this.