1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ILX-107 or AVHW-4400?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rg33, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Rg33

Rg33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to replace the head unit with either the Alpine ILX-107 or the Panasonic AVHW-4400. Grateful for anyone's thoughts on which one is preferable, on any measure (screen resolution, touch sensitivity, bugginess, etc.). Going to have it installed by a pro and going to get Maestro RR so keep the vehicle settings info available.

Thanks in advance!

2. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did this a few days ago(I assume you mean Pioneer avh-w4400 right? I used the 8400nex).

If you only care about wireless car play, then the alpine unit is better, it has a nicer capacitive screen(glass like a smartphone).

That is the only advantage of the alpine unit. The only other audio source is plain old FM radio. The Pioneer unit supports wireless CarPlay just like the alpine, but it also supports wireless android auto, HD radio, Satellite, bluetooth, iPod/USB/SD, and has a CD/DVD player and an HDMI port. The actual radio functionality on the pioneer unit is much better than the alpine unit, but it has a resistive screen that is a little harder to see in bright sunlight. The pioneer also has real hardware buttons which are much easier to find and press than the alpine.

If you intend on using actual radio functionality a good bit, then the pioneer is the superior option. The pioneer unit also exposes the gauges, TPMS screen, and all of the vehicle options(and some additional ones). The alpine may too, I am not sure.

The 8400 is superior to both, featuring capacitive screen, all the additions of the 4400, and also built in NAV, but is far more expensive at MSRP.

#2 liquidtenmillion, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  3. Rg33

Rg33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks very much for this. I think I’m going to go with the *Pioneer* 4400? I thought about the 8400 and the Alpine, but ultimately I think the 4400 is good for what I’m looking for. I was able to play around with the units at a local car audio shop, and the 4400 — although resistive — seemed pretty easy to use.

Thanks again.

4. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only reason the alpine unit has as many reviews on Crutchfield and seems as popular as it is is because it was the first unit to support wireless CarPlay(it was $1000 at launch) and had a year head start. The pioneer units that support wireless CarPlay just came out a few months ago(causing alpine to reduce price).

I think you made the right decision, the only reason to get the alpine now is if you need capacitive screen and use no other radio functions.

I also forgot to mention, all of them are 800x480 and 7 inches. The alpine and 8400 have the best looking screens, then 4400, then 6400(only 6.2in but has nav). When the sun is not shining on the screen they all look about the same in terms of color clarity, with maybe alpine looking slightly better.