1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm a 41%er....who returns to buy a hybrid.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Apr 10, 2012.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The article in question is very misleading. I can take those same numbers and spin it a whole different way.

What is the percentage of the general population that buy hybrids? About 2%, right?

So if 41% return to buy a hybrid what does that say?

It says that the most likely person to buy a hybrid is somebody who has already owned one. In fact, 20 times more likely.

2. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My understanding was that it was the Non-Pruis hybrid owners who were switching back to all gas vehicles.

I'm looking for a lower mileage gen II for my three 16-year olds to drive, and there are very few for sale within 500 miles of Boise that are a decent price, lower mileage and arent' salvage rebuilt. So yeah, people must be hanging on to them.

Been a 'two Pri wannabe' for years and still looking.:)

3. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in an 8 yr old Gen I prius for my Chevy Volt. While I had the prius we traded in my wife's Chrysler Pacifica for a Mercury mariner hybrid. We will never own a "conventional" vehicle again and I hope to never buy another non-plug-in.

My prius was a wonderful and reliable car and I would definitely consider another in the future.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea, my wife was telling me that this same article was discussed on the TV evening news the night before! When I told her about how the article had left off the Prius owners she could not believe that you could get away with such journalism !!

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are a few who buy the Prius and never quite "get it". A couple of years ago there was a poster who was indignant over the winter vs summer mpg variance and how it was so much higher than a regular car that got 20 in winter and 22 in summer. He also couldn't wrap his brain around the fact that doing 85mph would "only" net him low 40's! He eventually bought a Sonata and left PC!:rolleyes:

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the study is right!...well sort of. i did not buy another hybrid, i bought full EV. but then again, i did buy 3 Priuses.

hmm, without me, the percentage could be under 40%
    AND the percentage of people who buy hybrids is now much higher than 2 %. but still a valid point.

most auto manufacturers consider it a "Win" if the more than 85% answer yes to the "knowing what you know now, would you buy another X?"

top of the line performers only do in the mid 90's not one car is perfect in that area. not one

7. cheeseguy

cheeseguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My last prius was the 2010 Prius V...I loved it! I'm back baby!

8. Jozo

Jozo PIP PIP HOORAY!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Proud 41%er! 1st Prius was 2006, which went to my son when I bought my 2009. At that time I told my salesman that my next Prius would be the plug-in that I had just read about (back in 2008). Now I have my 2012 PIP; my son has my 2009 Prius; I used the 2006 as my trade-in. I simply cannot imagine choosing to be one of the foolish 59%.

9. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I am a 59%er.
    2007 Prius then a
    2008 Camry Hybrid to a
    2010 Prius to a
    2012 Honda CR-Z

Next is a LEAF. :)

I'm all over the map!

10. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess I should just mention all of them my wife and I have owned:

2001 Honda Insight (new)
    2003 Toyota Prius (new)
    2010 Honda Insight (new)
    2002 Toyota Prius (used)
    2008 Toyota Prius (used)
    2008 Toyota Prius (also used)
    2010 Toyota Prius (used)

So that is 7 hybrids we've bought over the last 11 years or so..

And now I have a Nissan Leaf. I'll never go back to a hybrid unless it is a PHEV of some kind.

11. Priuskat

Priuskat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my 2nd Prius - my 11 year old son just claimed my PIP when he starts to drive . . . I'm sure that's when I get my next car - the future Prius.

12. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hm, I didn't realize that the article appears to be only counting those who trade-in vehicles. In which case, even though I bought a 2004, then a 2012 Plug-in, I would not even be counted since I did not trade-in the 2004. Perhaps repeat buyer would be a more illuminating metric.

13. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got into hybrids by accident just over a year ago, in February 2011. A friend of mine is a used car dealer and he accidentally bought a 2000 Honda Insight. It was a super clean car and he missed the word "Hybrid" on the hatchback. Knowing that I'm into weird cars, he sold it to me at cost.

Having driven two EVs a decade ago (GM EV-1 and an S-10 EV), I was ready to try a hybrid. I loved everything about that car except three things... No center armrest, no cruise control and no backseat.

So I bought a 2008 Prius in June. It had everything the Insight was missing. Then when it got squished in a highway space dispute, I went shopping. There were ony two cars on my shopping list; The Chevrolet Volt and the Toyota Prius. In my case the Prius won hands down. Not being able to find the one I wanted used, there just weren't any available as it seems Prius owners keep their cars, I ordered new.

I'm proud to be in the 41%

iPad ? HD

14. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We have four Prius at my house now when the kids are home. We started in November of 2000 and don't know if we ever will buy anything else. We have not traded in yet, but may have to when the 2nd generation PIP comes out.

15. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a 2007 Camry Hybrid, and then bought a 2010 Prius hybrid. I want to get a new Avalon, but won't since it is not going to be hybrid (yet, at least.) When or if it does, I will get one, but won't get a non-hybrid again. My two cents, anyway.

16. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am my second hybrid and will never go back. First was a 2000 Insight ran great for 262,000 miles and was running perfectly when I sold it. I know of no easier way to recover braking energy, or downhill slowing energy, as well as an easy way for stopping the engine at lights and during coasting.

17. sevlillevik

sevlillevik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This study could be accurate; if they only asked ten people....

18. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My first hybrid was a 2003 Civic Hybrid followed by a 2007 Prius that was replaced with a 2011 Prius. Since I am 78, I don't know how much time there will be for future hybrids. I put in a reservation for a Leaf the first day they could be entered a couple of years ago, but canceled it after a year since I am in Oklahoma and we are one of the last states to get them. I don't think they are available here yet.