1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm a little disappointed in the 2010 steering wheel telescope range

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Feb 27, 2010.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    True, the Prius is my Lexus hybrid. However, you can also take a Lexus to a Toyota dealer for repairs and maintenance.

In Japan where Toyota is a much more prestigious brand compared to here, some of the Lexus models have carried Toyota's name instead (e.g., Toyota Harrier was the Lexus RX until 2006).

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have measured 1.5" of steering wheel telescope range on the 2010 Prius.

A Venza also has 1.5" scope. Honda Civic, measured 1.5". An Accord appears to also have 1.5" scope. I did not measure the Camry scope range.

But, sitting in a 2010 Camry, shoving the seat fully back and down, wheel scoped fully towards me, bam, the steering wheel is in a great position. No extra reaching for it. Same with the Accord, Civic, and 2010 Insight.

Looks like the Prius issue is the mount point of the steering wheel.

I know the interior designers build full mock-ups. They give it the ok, sign off and go into production for about 6 years. I don't think we'll see a revised steering wheel until about 2016 Prius.

3. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe the interior of the Prius is designed for the smaller-statured average demographic of particular regions of the world? :confused:

I'm 6'1", 210 pounds, and have the same problem with my car. The steering wheel is too far away and I can't get my elbow on the armrest with the seat all the way back. On a recent trip I wound up dropping the seat all the way and moving the seat forward some so that I could get my elbow on the armrest and relieve some of the stress on my arms and upper back. Better for my back, not so good for my legs.

I agree that a lumbar support (preferably adjustable) is necessary also. How freakin' much could this cost Toyota? $5 a car? :rolleyes:

And a little padding on the armrest and center console would be nice.

4. ddtaylor99

ddtaylor99 dd taylor

Model:
    II
    I hate to say me too, but me too. It is my only complaint about my rentals of the 2010 Prius. The wheel is not in the right position and doesn't adjust out far enough. And no lumbar -- come on!

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There was no Lexus brand in Japan until a few years ago, Lexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia mentions July 2005.

Before the Lexus brand existed there, if there was a Lexus here that was sold in Japan, it was branded as a Toyota. I've seen Toyota Harriers (RX), Toyota Soarers (SC), Toyota Altezza (IS) and so on. I'd briefly driven a Soarer at the Toyota Megaweb on a small track. I've visited Japan (and looked at cars there) in 01, 03, 05 and 09.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, here's a weird one for ya ... another point to make about the 2010 steering wheel adjustment range.

I've wondered if I'm trying to reach too far to my steering wheel now that I have my seat slid back 1 1/4 " farther than any stock Gen2 and 1 1/2" lower.

So, I stopped by Toyota and Honda with a piece of cardboard and marking pen and pair of pants I don't mind marking on.

I sat in new cars - Civic, Insight, Scion XB, Matrix, my 2009 and a 2010 Prius. I slid the seat all the way back and pretty much all the way down, pulled steering wheel out and down. I layed the cardboard on the steering wheel and made marks in photo. Bit crude, but gives an idea (marks were pretty consistent when getting out then remeasuring).

050705 132.jpg

Top line is my 2009, farthest reach to the wheel, but not by much. It's really nice to slide a 2010 seat all the way back, but the steering is less than 1/4" closer than reaching my wheel. Moving the 10's seat one notch closer leaves the steering wheel reach less than 1/2" closer than in my modified 2009. This setting was also the same as a Scion XB and Insight.

The steering wheel that was almost 1 1/4" closer is the Civic's, which is known to be fun to drive.

Honda Civics have really, really nice seating for such a small car. Besides reliability and good fuel economy, I'll bet its great ergos always help it be a top 10 seller.

Matrix wheel pulls close as Civic's to a driver.

Funny thing is Camry's steering wheels pull much closer to the driver than the 2010 Prius. Seems the 2010 Pri designer(s) needed to pay a visit to a Camry which is the #2 selling car in the US last time I checked.

So, what's the point? I'm not reaching too much farther for my steering than I would be in a '10 Prius.

Also, I think Toyota needs to improve the steering wheel placement / adjustment for the 4th Gen Prius. The 2010's wheel is not that bad, but it certainly could be better IMO.

7. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The steering Wheel position relative to any driver must allow for safe and effective deployment of the airbags. I am sure a car, like the Prius sold in places like Asia which have populations of people consideably shorter than most Americans, must allow for that as well as the somewhat Obese physique of most Americans, its best market. Short of making a BIG & Fat version of the car, and a short and skinny version, my guess is the steering wheel has been compromised into its current location and adjustments.

8. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Lumbar Support in my 2010 Prius V is much better than the seats (leather) in my 2007 Touring Edition Prius. The seats could be improved still, and a raise & lower feature would be a plus as well. I carry a memory foam lumbar pillow I bought at Brookstone's to add to the back support. I am not alone in doing that.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But, Toyota also sells Camrys in Japan too. The Camry steering wheel pulls closer to a driver, even with seat fully slid back (which btw, slides back farther than the 2010 Prius).

So, the Prius wheel does not match a 2010 Camry, which has better seat/steering wheel ergonomics.

The same is true for a 2010 Honda Accord and Civic - they have great seat to wheel ergos. All three of these cars are top 10 sellers in the US, maybe in Japan also.

Also, these driver's seats have position sensors to control airbag deployment.

10. rldolsen

rldolsen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wish it came out a little farther too, but I'm happy that it telescopes in the first place. IDK, maybe my arms are disproportionately shorter than my legs, but in my '05 Prius, if my seat was forward enough to comfortably reach the steering wheel, my knees were bumping the dashboard.

If the wheel came out another inch or so, it'd be perfect, but it's much easier to find a comfortable position for both my arms and legs with my 2010.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a little bent on this subject. Over time, I'm going to compare the seat to steering wheel ergonomics / measurements at the extreme settings, between the 2010 Prius and the ..

Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla and Altima, all 5 were top 10 selling cars in the US in 2009.

We'll see how the Prius stacks up ergonomically to these cars which have been 'dialed in' over many years.