1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm afraid to drive my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vespasian, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

And people think the Pirus has computer problems? My Dad's BMW once wouldn't let him start his car because it THOUGHT it was out of gas. It had a full tank!

And Vespian - Don't delete your posts like that, it's really annoying to those of us that joined later and never got to read it. I made a questionable post that I new I'd get some flack for, but didn't touch it - If you post, leave it.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would have to say lighten up. I have recently made the same mistake at lashing out at the members of the board and I am sorry for that. We need to work with each other, we all have hot buttons. Stay with us and participate.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ruthless with newbies? No, haven't seen that. Ruthless with trolls? Yes and its deserved.

I've moderated these online forums for a long time, I'm a senior manager at the Lexus Owners Club, a Lexus board with 20,000 and change members, trolls like you are everywhere and you never have anything positive to contribute and always have a chip on your shoulder or some flamebait hidden somewhere in your posts.

If this were my forum you wouldn't be here anymore, so be happy its not before you call the people here names.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry 'bout that...I have removed the offending dancing Napoleon. :)

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheer up, V: you won't have any trouble selling it, and then you can buy something that doesn't constantly report its fuel consumption.

6. craigcush

craigcush Member

Seems V has changed his//her tune from earlier posts:

"All of a sudden I'm averaging over 60 mpg (62.0 mpg when I last checked), something I never expected to be able to accomplish. I don't think I've change any driving habits, and I'm still talking the exact same routes. Is it all because of the weather? BTW, I'm still prepared for my average fuel economy to go way down to something like 30 mpg (or worse) in the middle of January."

Reading past posts reveals a lot about someone. :blink:

7. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

I'm pretty sure that Vespasian isn't a troll, or trolling with posts, just a little fragile. When one notices that about another person, the helpful thing to do is to be kind, not to beat them up.

Just stay off the personal track and stick to stuff about Prius's and we'll all be fine.

-Roger

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ahhh I kinda liked it. I would KILL to be that limber!

If I tried a dance like that, I'd be in the hospital for a month.

9. evander

evander Junior Member

Little snowflake on dash has been shining for 2 days here, short trips, heat on, mileage is dropping. To be expected. Things will improve eventually.

10. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

yes.. come springtime...

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the worst i got on a 1 mile, 5 minute commute, 100 miles on the car was 38 mpg throughout the entire winter. i dont see why someone would assume it would go lower than 30 unless you put a hole in the gas tank

12. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    btw, that started in december of 04. i dont know why i can't edit the post?

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sure wish the original post hadn't been deleted because it has been a few days since I've been able to come and read and post. I'd like to say that most of us are not out to get other posters. In fact, I'd like to think that I've been good to other folks, and frankly have been at the back end of a hot poster more times than I can count.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Troll's first post in the thread (which he edited before deleting it) has been captured as quotes in several subsequent messages.

15. aaparkr

aaparkr Junior Member

I read something from this board that starts out "Just Drive It". I find that I get better (certainly no worse) gas mileage when I'm not trying to do something special to increase gas mileage. Admittedly, I'm more aware of when I tromp on the gas pedal and don't do that so much as I'm becoming aware that I used to do it frequently (in my past cars).

On the other hand,

I don't refer to my car as a POS. My last one was a bit of a disappointment, but I got rid of it. My Prius seems to be giving me 40-50 mpg consistently and that is great - especially compared to the 13-17 mpg of my previous car.

It also has a great stereo, lots of room (as compared to other cars in its class) and lots of bells and whistles like the keyless entry, startup (SSE? SSS?). The GPS is toooo cool. I didn't actually order it, but I didn't get the car I ordered. I would not order it again because I'm cheap, but since I have it, I let it guide me to the grocery store, to work, to the gas station (indulgent toy perhaps).

I'm sorry if yours has not been all you hoped for. I don't think my owning one will decrease our dependance on foreign oil (as a country). It just means I won't have to pay for as much of it as I used to

Tony

16. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

OK, I get it. I'm a troll and a scaredy-cat. I won't post here anymore.

17. LaughingMan

Look... just don't be so adversarial and people won't do the same.

This is a good community, but if you're only out to gripe about your car, ignoring all of the good advice people post here about improving your mileage in the winter, then people will realize you don't want to hear any advice and you've already made up your mind.

What were you expecting? What would have made you happy? If everyone here agreed with you that the Prius sucked? that we only get 10 MPG in the winter?

Good luck selling your car.

18. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I haven't been adversarial whatsoever until after I started getting replies to my orginal post. The only reason I started this thread was because I was going to be driving my Prius in really cold weather for the first time ever, and everybody on here keeps saying (ad nauseum) how fuel economy can suffer quite a bit in really cold weather. I was just looking for a few words of ecouragement to not worry so much if my fuel economy started decreasing. But instead what I got was people calling me a troll and a coward because I don't feel 100% comfortable driving the Prius. That's really classy.

19. LaughingMan

Well ignore them. Your reaction was not exactly the best approach.

And I did give you encouragement. You seemingly ignored the advice and threatened to never come back here again because we were all pricks..

20. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

Well, I drive a Prius too. Wouldn't that also make me a prick?

I'm making this way too melodramatic. I think I'm going to be sick to my stomach. :wacko:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.