1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm afraid to drive my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vespasian, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Learn to drive the car... learn to pulse and glide.

And if you really want an assessment of what's possible from your Prius with your commute in terms of MPG, tell us about your commute.

How long of a commute? What kind of terrain? Tell us about the speed limits along the way. Highway or surface streets?

Do you have a garage?

2. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I think I know how to drive my Prius fairly well. My worst tank is 55 MPG (although this tank looks like it be about 52 MPG). It's just that I've read so much about winter fuel economy that I was concerned my fuel economy would plummet (which it has yet to do). And I still don't like merging with traffic on the expressway. The acceleration is just not there when you have to compete with cars that have 250+ horsepower.

Anyways, my typical commute is about 17 miles (34 miles in total). The terrain is mostly flat. If I don't take the expressway, the speed limit ranges from 35 to 45 MPH. If I do take the expressway, the limit is 55 but you have to go at least 65 to keep up with the traffic. And yes I have a garage (but it's not heated or anything).

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Vespasian. I am sorry that perhaps I snapped at you. But read your original post and think about it.
    Does it sound like you came for a word of encouragement?

"It's currently 25 degrees Fahrenheit outside with winds gusting above 30 miles per hour. I hope my fuel economy dips into the teens. That would be so cool. It will be just like the old days when I drove a car that had 150% more horsepower, could accelerate to 60 miles per hour in less time than it takes to cook a hard-boiled egg, and didn't feel like it was going to tip over everytime there was a gust of wind above 20 miles per hour."

4. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

That wasn't my original post. That was what I posted after I was called a troll.

My original post sounded too much like I was a pussy. So I change it so it said something like, "I'm worried that my fuel economy will go into the crapper because of the cold weather." Then when I was called a troll, I post the stuff above.

5. LaughingMan

You're doing much much better than I am... my commute is only 3 miles a direction, and i've gotten as low as the mid 40s in the middle of the summer... but I've been able to bring that up into the 50s just with a change in technique... which I consider very good. Dropping temperatures seem to affect my mileage much worse because i have a short commute. Close to half my commute is spent with the system refusing to shut down the ICE in it's warmup cycle.

You have a decent commute of 17 miles, so your car will still have a chance to warm up no matter what, so I don't imagine your mileage will drop nearly as much as mine.

To each his own about the acceleration. I have few complaints about the acceleration, and never felt like i was going to die on the expressway during merging.

6. LaughingMan

Funny... you were called a troll, so you edited your post just to mess with us? You edited your post so that you *were* a troll?

That's the kind of thing that's not very productive...

7. LaughingMan

For the record, Vespasian, no one in the first 3 posts called you a troll. After the 3rd post, you edited your post to flamebait...

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Well you deleted it so I can't go back and see what it was.
    But even look at the subject. Two weeks ago you created a post "I am afraid of merging" or something like that. Which you never followed up and never responded to the people that replied to it and asked the questions. Then you showed up with this topic.
    I still don't understand the merging problem, but that's your problem.

9. LaughingMan

Moreover, no one called you a troll on the first page at all...

No one called you a troll when you posted this:

And you edited the post to take out the word sh!t. Editing your flamebait posts won't change the fact that you did them.

10. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

If I was going to be called a troll for no reason, I thought I might as well play the role. But that that post didn't last that long before I deleted it.

11. LaughingMan

Vespasian... please stop editing your posts. It's not good forum form, and shows that you're either ashamed of what you're done, or trying to cover up the fact that you posted them to begin with.

12. LaughingMan

You weren't called a troll. Not until you posted flamebait.

And deleting them won't change the fact that we saw them... you can't edit the posts that we posted, so we know you flamebaited.

13. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn

14. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I distinctly remember getting into a discussion about not being afraid to floor it.

15. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I know that. I highlighted the words that I change in that post. And even if I didn't like my car, what's the big deal? It's just a car. It's not someone's sister.

If you want to continue to talk to me, send me a message. We shouldn't be talking about this here.

16. LaughingMan

The fact of the matter is that you were adversarial... you're not the victim here.

And the fact that you are changing the posts shows something about you.

A lot of people here don't think their cars are perfect, but most of them at least have the backbone to post their gripes and let people discuss their post without deleting them... you're not like that.

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Hey..I think I came up with a way to preserve good mileage when it gets real cold. It hit me last night. Right now I am at 50. If I just park the car in the garage and drive my minivan all winter, I won't take a hit. It will stay at 50 when I get back in it. I think it's brilliant...what do ya'll think :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. evander

evander Junior Member

I've edited my own previous post--poor form or not--because life's just too short to toss potentially hurtful words back and forth. We are very fortunate to have a trend setting car, usually problem free, not always achieving high mpg, but a car that gives us pleasure nonetheless.

19. evander

evander Junior Member

About the only way I will hit 50 as well. But what will I drive all winter?

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< This has become a thread to avoid... waste of time.

A troll is a troll is a troll... etc. ad nauseum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.