1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm building a new computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I were building a PC today, I would definitely go with a quad core.

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    STOP!

1) First, the write performance of any on-board raid 5 "solution" is UNGODLY slow. You lose 90% of all write performance. Yes, it writes at about 5MB/s. You'll be better off with a dedicated raid 5 controller... but the good ones are expensive. (I've tried it with 4 320gb seagate drives on a nforce590 chipset)

Also, to point out:
    Quad core is pointless, there are barely any apps that can support dual cores right now. Unless you plan on running 4 programs that all require 100% processor power, quad core is just a sham.

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Multi-CPU is a must for gaming, when not using Full Screen (running windowed).
    So you can have & see other Apps like Ventrilo running, WinAmp, Firefox at the same time.

Some high end games run a service along with the game, so more than one CPU.

I agree with Bob64, between a High-End Dual Core and Quad Core, won't be any noticeable difference. Plus the price is too high. RAID-5 is Super Slow unless you get a dedicated PCI card.

My money would go into high quality reusable components, especially the ones that you "See", not the CPU / Mobo / Ram / HD.

My most re-used components are the screen, mouse, keyboard, power supply, casing & PSU - recommend highly Thermaltake's products.

Every year or so, I recycle the innards, and make someone within my immediate friends very happy. I always buy a mobo, video, ram, HD that are designed to work together, never the high end, not the low end.

Over the years I've found that I can upgrade twice for the same price as the highest end today. Plus your old innards will earn you money from someone.

My AMD 6400+ DC runs plenty fast.
    ASUS mobo, ASUS video. Both are the "Silent" versions, less fans the better. 320 Sata-2 HD, 2Gigs Ram. Innards for less than 700$. Resell in 12 months (including installation in someone's existing casing) for 300$.

In Aug 2008 for the same 700$ I'll get a Quad Core+Mobo, better video card, 4g ram, 1TB Sata.

I don't believe at all in dual video cards SLI. Expensive and obsolete by a single video card in a year (or two).

The only caveat is reinstalling Windows XP - which is why I'm holding on dearly to my "full retail copy".
    Face it - true "geeks" love reinstalling XP every year :)

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK so I have been reading about on board raid performance ( cant find much) and it does look like raid 5 has some slow write times but from what I seen it was on older chipsets or nvidia chipset. What I haven't been able to find is if this newer chipset is better at raid 5 or if having a dual core helps at all since the CPU will have to create all the parity information.

What I'm thinking is that if performance is that bad on a raid 5 is to set up a raid 0 on two drives and use them as my OS and apps then use four drives in a raid 5 for storage. Thats if this on board controller will allow that.

I'm still new to raids so I might just be talking out my @$$. The only raid I have experience with is in my car PC. Its setup as a raid 1 so if one drive fails I can still use my PC while I get a replacement hard drive.

For my home PC I'm more concerned about redundancy as I'm just too lazy to make a real backup of my data. If a raid 5 will work just fine for games and OS and the occasional photoshop and video editing I'm fine with it. I will most likely give raid 5 a chance and see how well it does on my daily computing.

I also just seen how to get near %100 performance with 3 or 5 drives in a raid 5 by doing some neat little hacks. I have to read more about that and see it will will work with my setup.

As far as the dual core goes I think it will help me out because I like to run multiple apps at the same time. For an example if I start to encode a video file that means %100 of the CPU gets dedicated to that process and I have a hard time doing other things like surfing the web. With a dual core I hope to send to send that process to the "second CPU" so the first CPU can do all the other stuff I want to do. I've played around with the dual cores at work and they do pretty well when you assign an app to a single CPU.

And I reinstall XP about 2 times a year just to keep things fresh. :D

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whatever you do, make sure you pimp out your rig with UV reactive cables, neon lights, multicolor LED fans, and that Corsair memory with the little LEDs on top that flash with access.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 29 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]503789[/snapback]</div>
    You mean something like this? :D

My current PC. Yeah its a mess right now. Corsair xpert memory, CPU cooler that looks like a jet engine, two blue cold cathodes, and a radio active etching sticker on the window.
    [attachmentid=10996]

I don't want to go fancy anymore so for this build I just want a PC.

Attached Files:

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my WinTV-HVR-1600 in today. Looks like I got the good model that can decode QAM. :D

My other parts should arrive late next week. Well except for my mouse. I guess Logitech still has not released it. :angry:

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I decided to install my HDTV card just to try it out and all I can say is WOW! Both for the quality and because my current PC could actually display the HD content.

I did a QAM scan and found SNL was playing in HD. This is the first time I have seen true HD on a good LCD. After seeing true HD I don't know how I can live with crappy SD. I could tell my cable company was compressing it a little as there were some compression blocks when things got too busy on the screen. I would love to see HDTV from the source. Maybe I should invest in that 4DTV HDTV receiver for my BUD. Its to bad that the BUD is dying out. A good SD broadcast on a BUD is about as good as watching HD on dish network or direct TV.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Sep 1 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]505710[/snapback]</div>
    As long as your local network affiliate is not stealing bandwidth for ten shopping channels, OTA digital TV broadcasts of primetime scripted TV shows should be pretty close to what the networks are sending out and a match for HDTV on C-band. Also, Dish Network has been making steady improvements on their H.264 encoders and even those of us who complained for months about crappy picture quality have to grudgingly admit that the quality on HD locals, Starz HD and a few other MPEG-4 channels is often pretty good. But often times the original content does not have good picture quality to begin with, and even the best offline encoder in the world won't improve it.

If you think that you seriously need to get a new TV. The best analog signal on C-band is at best DVD quality, and OTA digital TV in high-def is miles beyond DVD quality, and that's obvious on a good HDTV display.

I've had OTA and satellite HDTV for nearly seven years, and have six HDTVs between our main and vacation home, starting with a Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD back in 2000. I've been recording and archiving satellite and OTA HDTV for three or four years, and have 7TB of content archived.

10. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a note for building HTPCs (Home Theater PCs)...

Unless you have a sound-deadened, ventilated cabinet, you might also want to consider building a QUIET computer. That means getting components that generates as little heat as possible.

Personally, there is nothing I hate more than a computer that sounds like a moaning Frankenstein in the room when I'm watching something on the HDTV.

My HTPC which is dead quiet:

Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 Allendale core (generates less than 40W of heat at stock speed, easy to cool quietly).
    Zalman CNPS7000 CPU heatsink, running at the slowest (quietest speed)
    Intel P965 motherboard
    XFX 7900GT video card (a bit old, but it generates only 65W of heat and is very easy to cool quietly).
    2GB DDR2 memory
    Samsung 250GB HDD
    Seasonic S12-330 power supply (the quietest PSU available)
    Silverstone LC13 HTPC case

Originally I was hoping to get one of the AMD Athlon X2 EEs (the "EE" models are "energy efficient"), but those are hard to find so I said screw it and went for the Intel instead-- The lower-end Core 2 Duos at 40W of heat are just amazingly cool-running.

Sure, it's not a bleeding-edge system, but it's not obnoxiously loud like an overclocked SLI gaming system putting out 500W of heat that requires 20 high-speed whining fans to cool it. B)

11. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just as a point of comparison, here's the new system I just ordered (this week) to upgrade our driving simulator's main box...

1 Microstar P6N Diamond nForce 680i ATX motherboard with 4x PCIEx16 slots
    3 Point Of View 8800GTS 320MB Dual-DVI
    1 Point Of View 8600GT 256MB HDCP
    1 Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6850 3.00GHz 4M FSB1333
    1 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12
    2 Western Digial Raptor® WD740ADFD 10K SATA HDD (5.3ms fast drive)
    2 Seagate SATAII 320GB 7200rpm ST3320620AS 7200.10 hard drive
    1 THERMALTAKE 1200W Toughpower 1200w/100a Load Cable Management
    1 Thermaltake Armor Black Case CASE-VA8000BWS.
    1 LiteOn LH-18A1P 18x DVD+R/18x DVD-R 8X Dual Layer (Black) DVD writer
    1 Black 3.5" floppy disk drive 1.44Mb internal
    1 Laser 16 in 1 USB card reader/writer black internal
    1 ViewSonic VA903 19" LCD 1280X1024, black

This is in addition to the three LCD projectors and the car itself.

Not quite a games machine, but good fun nonetheless...

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice setup for the sim samiam. You got any pictures of it?

I'm currently looking for a cheap racing chair setup to mount my Logitech G25 to. My current desk/chair hight setup makes it too awkward to drive.

I'm not that interested in making my PC quiet. My air conditioner drowns out the noise of the PC and my headphones do a good job of keeping out the sound of the AC. I'm more concerned of keeping it cool. I still wont go with water cooling. I still don't trust putting water in with electronics.

13. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Sep 4 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]506506[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, lots. I'll rustle one up and post it when I get back to my office in an hour or so. B)

14. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Sep 4 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]506506[/snapback]</div>
    Here's some photos, and some specs:
    BMW314 (RHD) -- 2 USB ports & no engine!
    3 angled projection surfaces located 2.42 m in front of the driver’s seat & angled back at 10 degrees
    200 (horizontal) by 39 degree (vertical) forward view from the driver’s position
    Projection resolution of 1280 by 1024 pixels (each surface)
    Rear view via two colour LCDs at a resolution of 640 by 480
    multi-body vehicle dynamics model configured as 3 litre engine (making 170 kW power), automatic transmission, and power steering.
    vehicle model & display updated at minimum of 100FPS
    dashboard displays accurate speed and engine RPM data
    4 car speakers & sub-woofer underneath the car present realistic engine and road noise
    [attachmentid=11112]
    [attachmentid=11111]
    [attachmentid=11110]

Attached Files:

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW thats a nice setup!

16. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh yeah, it also runs colin mcrae rally just fine :lol:

17. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Sep 3 2007, 08:22 PM) [snapback]506506[/snapback]</div>
    According to a review by MaximumPC, the new core2 duos are much more energy efficient then the old P4 chips. Thus, they produce much less heat.

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Sep 9 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]509733[/snapback]</div>
    That's only been known for oh, the last fourteen months (since the first day Core 2 processors have been available to the public). Anyone who can read a data sheet knows this - you don't have to depend on a magazine to read it for you.

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I decided on the dual core 2 duo after seeing the reviews of it. It was almost always on top even beating the quad core in some areas. Power efficiency was an added bonus. AMD still had it beat but the Intel still had better over all power. In fact I think the only thing the AMD processor could do better was floating point calculations. AMD has always been the leader of floating point calculations. I don't know why Intel cant get any better in that area. Even the lower end AMD chips beat the quad core Intel in floating point.

20. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 9 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]509805[/snapback]</div>
    yeah, I know, but I added that bit just incase someone was foolish enough to challenge it with a "says who?".

I also heard that it is possible to run the core 2 without a heatsink...