1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Im Buying a new Computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Jan 7, 2007.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 7 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]372145[/snapback]</div>
    .....$499 *including* a 17-19" flat screen monitor. IsrAmeriPrius and orionll already provided links in their posts that will fit the OP's specs and budget.

I used the link provided by IsrAmeriPrius to configure a 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM machine with a 17" LCD monitor for $550 (after $100 MIR). That config included a free upgrade to Vista Home Basic. Dumping 512MB worth of RAM or going with a Celeron and you wind up with a PC + 17" LCD for $489 - 10 bucks less than what the OP wants to spend. Tough to beat, either way.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still recommend a Mac.

But if you are going to get a PC in order to keep cost to a minimum, it should be a bit cheaper to get a PC with Windows XP after Vista comes out and the manufacturers are trying to dump the old stuff.

But a question for those who know about this stuff: How long before Microsoft quits providing bug fixes for XP? An XP computer will be obsolete before a Vista computer. And unlike the Mac, a Windows computer will be infested with viruses pretty soon after you stop getting the bug fixes.

And don't forget to factor into the cost of a Windows machine the purchase price and the annual subscriptions for the anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware programs. They may bundle a three-month subscription to an AV, but probably not the others.

Security comparison: A Windows computer is like a car with the door locked and the keys in the ignition. A crook only has to pick the door lock, which the kid next door may or may not be able to do, but any enterprising thief can. A Mac is like a Prius. There are ways to steal it, but the electronic key fob and the engine immobilizer make it a very difficult thing to do. With Windows you have to pay someone to watch over it all the time. With the Mac you merely have to exercise good practices.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]372053[/snapback]</div>
    (to be correct) These where old hand me downs from my dad when he bought a new one for his company.
    1st was a IBM/ PC XT - Model 5160
    2nd was a Atari 400
    3rd was a Apple II
    4th was a Texas Instrements computer (TI99-4).
    5th was a Home built model from a computer store
    6th is the NEC...

I have been told by others that I wanted to stay away from the macs, But from what others are saying the new ones dont sound so bad....

I have gotten to the point were windows is a pain.. I cant begin to tell you.. :(

I am tired of giving to Mr. Gates and having to fix the different vuneralbilities.. Explorer leaves alot to be desired too , I tried netscape, explorer & now Firefox. the last one works better than the others so far.

I know that every 6 months or so it seems, computers become obsolete. The reason I posted this topic was to get YOUR thoughts on the different computers and operating systems. Thank you again! ;)

* What are the pros / cons to owning a mac?
    * What are the pros / cons to owning a PC?

I dont really think I would be playing games unless they where on line flash type..
    I have an Xbox for that.

I would only be using for Email & surfing the net & chatting on dif. bbs's while listening to CDs.
    I know from the past the more memory and larger HD you have the better off you are so I was thinking of something that will last me another 10yrs....

Wow~

I like the laymans terms there Daniel..... A mac maybe the way to go after all. B)

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 7 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]372204[/snapback]</div>
    For pure bug fixes, MSFT will probably provide fixes for 5 years or so. They'll be slower to be released, but they will continue to come.

And as for buying a Mac... rumor is Apple may be releasing some AMD based macs in the future... which really would be a fantastic thing. AMD chips are more efficient (in terms of power consumption) than most Intel chips.

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]372207[/snapback]</div>
    It all boils down to Mac hardware being the most flexible because you can install any operating system, including MacOS. So you get all the pros.

The big con with Windows is how vulnerable and idiosincratic it is. Its biggest pro is that for certain uses, home theater, gaming, etc, can only be taken to a certain level using Windows.

That is why I use Mac hardware and use Windows or MacOS depending of the task at hand.

The biggest pro that is unique to Mac hardware is Apple support and service. If you buy applecare, and its expensive, and something goes wrong with your hardware Apple will ship an empty box, prepaid, to your house and you will receive back a functioning system. All this practically with no questions asked. No other hardware manufacturer offers this and comes through like Apple.

Cheers..

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 7 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]372208[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, that's good news. One of my mutual funds is very heavily invested in AMD. It's their largest single holding.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 7 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]372204[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not recommending anything, really. The OP indicated he wanted to spend around $500 on a new machine including a 17-19" flat screen monitor. I'd be surprised to learn he could get a new Mac with a 17" LCD for $500.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 7 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]372204[/snapback]</div>
    Windows 98 was released in 1998 and MS stopped supporting it in 2006. IIRC, XP was released in 2001 so it should be supported for another 3 years or so. But the question of how long XP will be supported is sort of moot since most manufacturers are offering free upgrades to Vista with the purchase of new PCs these days.

All can be had for free: Windows Defender, AVG 7.5, Zone Alarm, et al. No need to pay for any of that stuff.

8. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 7 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]372116[/snapback]</div>
    Can't disagree there, Daniel. A PC needs all of the above programs but good ones update themselves automatically so once set up, it's pretty seamless. Nothing, however, but nothing, beats savvy computer use on the part of the owner, IMO. Careless online chatting, opening email attachments from whomever willy-nilly, visiting warez sites to download pirated software all put your computer at risk.

My question, though, is doesn't a Mac need such programs? Are they not prone to viruses (albeit many, many fewer), spyware, malware & so on? I honestly don't know but my daughter, in the market for a new computer & favoring a Mac at this point, would be very interested in the answer to this question.

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Jan 7 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]372217[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. No matter what you do. Short of phishing, there is no widespread malware, spyware or viruses to which the MacOS is susceptible.

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 7 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]372221[/snapback]</div>
    Man the Mac sounds really good, but yes the spend limit is $500..

I could even go with one of those compact in sized desk top model, I really do not need a tower unit.
    I have seen the small HP units, but I really like the idea of not having to pay for someone to watch my PC ie paid for firewall/virus protection/ ect.

I would like the 17" flat screen due to space the CTX monitor I have now takes up a corner of the desk..

I looked at the Apple store on line and saw the mini for 599, but after you add the keyboard and everything else its like $1064! :eek: <faint>

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 7 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]372221[/snapback]</div>
    That is partly due to the fact that because of the lower market penetration of Apple OS it presents a less attractive target for hackers who are out to wreck as much havoc as possible with their attacks.

You may find these articles of interest:

BusinessWeek.com - A Month of Apple Bugs Planned

ZDNet - AVG developing antivirus app for Mac OS X

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 7 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]372226[/snapback]</div>
    Just follow the motto in your signature:

You can buy a keyboard, a mouse and a monitor elsewhere for considerably less than what Apple charges, but you are still looking at $150 - $200 for those components which will bring your total price up to about 50% or more above your target price.

Here are a couple of examples:

Samsung 941BW SyncMaster 19" LCD $183

CompUSA - Acer AL2016w 20-inch LCD Monitor for Only $199.99

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is that the set prices on the macs? Or are there other stores that offer them cheaper like the regular PCs.

I see the standard PCs offered from $249 - up, I would like to get a pkg deal that way Im not running here or there. I could just go dell and get a tower unit with Xp thats what the laptop has, But was looking for something different. and less vunerable

The Mac's sound attractive by far, compaired to the ones of yester year..

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 7 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]372204[/snapback]</div>

Paying for utilities is like going to the dealer for an oil change. There are free AV, firewall, etc. that are just as good or better than the stuff you pay for. The ISP may also be providing "free" programs as part of the subscription.

Any processor on the market now, 1GB of RAM, a 300GB hard drive, and a combo DVD+/- optical drive will fill the bill. If you want XP you will have to buy the computer before Jan 30 or from a local store. Once Vista ships the big OEMs will not offer XP. Dell computers are reliable and tend to rate better than the other OEMs.

If you even think of upgrading you will want a dual core processor.

A lot of the gloom and doom is FUD. Windows 95's detractors warned it was going to need massive amounts of expensive memory. It didn't and memory prices plummeted. The truth is nobody knows what Vista is capable of because the supporting hardware isn't available. Stay away from HD-DVD and Blu-ray until they get all their problems straightened out and the prices drop.

Microsoft just ended support for Windows 98 and 2000.

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]372053[/snapback]</div>
    Your wrong, (to be correct) These where old hand me downs from my dad, when he bought a new one for his company.
    I called and asked him what computers he has given to me.
    1st was a IBM/ PC XT - Model 5160
    2nd was a Atari 400
    3rd was a Apple II
    4th was a Texas Instrements computer (TI99-4).
    5th was a Home built model from a flea market computer store in 98 (lasted 2 yrs)
    6th is the NEC...

I know some like to be exact, so I tried to include the models but thats all I got, feel free to google them.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're comparing the current Mac Intel machines running OS10 to an Apple II? Seriously? Let my compare my Prius to the skateboard I bought from FedMart in the early 60s.

You need to do some serious homework. Especially if you're annoyed with the virus situation and giving Mr. Gates money hand over fist.

I suggest you revisit your budget, then visit the Apple Store. There is a link called "Looking for a great deal" with a red SALE tag on it. You'll find refurbished macs at a discount there. They're under warranty. I bought my Powerbook that way years ago. I'm using it right now to type. I also bought my airport base station the same way.

"Listed below are great deals on Apple Certified Refurbished Mac models and Mac accessories. Apple Certified Refurbished products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. (they're usually leased) All Apple Certified Refurbished products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished product. For your convenience, we have placed the appropriate AppleCare Protection Plan at the bottom of each Apple Certified Refurbished product collection."

This might be the link to the refurbished macs.

Just keep in mind they can go really fast. Supplies are limited and can change daily. You can see it and come back in an hour and it's gone.

I'll be upgrading in about a year and will be checking there to replace my powerbook and probably my airport base station too. I might even replace my G4. My 17" flat screen monitor is just fine so I'll be keeping that.

You don't specify whether you want a laptop or desktop so for you I'd recommend:

Refurbished iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
    512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

$949.00

27% savings.

It has a keyboard, mouse, monitor, everything. Plug it in and you're good to go.

It will come with the lastest operating system plus:
    # - iLife '06
    # - iWork '06 30-day trial
    # - Front Row
    # - Photo Booth
    # - Big Bang Board Games
    # - Comic Life
    # - OmniOutliner
    # - Quicken 2006 for Mac
    # - Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive (That's a trial version) You can get office emulation word processing software for free.

It has a built in iSight camera and iChatAV software. Built in microphone, built in speakers.

It will not only burn CDs but it will also burn DVDs.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. So start doing your homework. Look at that cheap PC and start adding up all of the stuff you'll have to buy to add on (and some of the stuff you'll have to keep buying) and consider your uses, anticipate your future needs, consider time doing virus checks, aggravation when something doesn't work, etc. And remember to compare the sizes and speed of the processors and harddrives, etc.m whether it has speakers, microphone, camera, and the AV software.

This is NOT an Apple II. It's not an abacus either.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 7 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]372248[/snapback]</div>
    An Apple II isn't a Mac. You're (note spelling) wrong, the poster you responded to was right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jan 7 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]372213[/snapback]</div>
    There is no need to guess, as Microsoft has already published its support lifecycle policy for all of its products, including XP. In a nutshell, after Vista ships XP has two years of mainstream support and after that it's five years of extended support (for XP Pro, XP Home doesn't get any extended support).

XP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

XP Home: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221

17. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]372033[/snapback]</div>
    Oh. Never mind what I was going to recommend then. Hope it works out for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]372038[/snapback]</div>
    Ack! No! A 1000 times no! I had two last year; both crapped out. Stay away from HP!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 7 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]372097[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jan 7 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]372241[/snapback]</div>
    Extended support for Windows 2000 goes until 2010. That means security fixes and paid support are available.

19. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

If someone would give you a spanked out Mac, you could get Windows (as they say you can here) running on that mac for about that $500 range you are hopeing to spend.

You need to spend about $1500 on the mac, then juice it to about 2 gigs of RAM for another $300 and buy both Windows OS and the emulator host software to get it running. So, great... you can run windows on your mac... For over $2000... and I'd be doing it if I had my company or someone paying the bills.

My last computer was $469 to the door. It was a Dell box (no monitor) with a 2.8ghz processor, 768 mb ram, 40gig hdd...

If you don't need a new monitor, price a box without one.

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jan 8 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]372408[/snapback]</div>
    After checking and finding out the $$$$$$$$ of a mac and the $500-700 for a used mac, I will just order one from dell the base model.
    with a flat screen..

Thanks guys/gals!