1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm Done THINKING About This Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CoastRider, Jul 23, 2017.

1. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Main purpose for buying a Prius:

Reliability.
    Great gas mileage.
    Low-maintenance.
    Simple maintenance.
    Ease of use (let the car computers and hybrid system do their thing). Not having to "overthink" everything!

In other words, just drive it, and enjoy the technology without having to constantly think about it or fiddle with all the settings. :)

You read enough of these threads, over enough time, and your head starts to spin. I just want to keep everything very basic and simple. I got more important things to worry about, this new Prius should be the least of my concerns.

Simplicity:
    Sticking with the basics. I've decided I am going to change my oil once per year - every 12 months. I am going to rotate the tires once per year. Put in a new cabin pollen filter once per year. (it was filthy after only 12 or 13 months in my car.) And check the engine air filter once per year, and replace if necessary. Check my oil level every month, along with the tire pressure. That's it folks, No need to make this Prius complicated.

I'm going to use Mobil 1 extended performance oil. (15,000 miles.) I don't even come close to driving that much per year, but this oil *supposedly* has better additives, or whatever. And it's no more expensive than the regular Mobil 1. (Brake inspections and all the other *checks* will be done per the time frame in the maintenance guide.)

I also won't be obsessive (or constantly tracking) the gas mileage. Anything over 30 MPG is great, in my book. So, my Prius is just another car. I'll operate it like any other car, relax, and enjoy the ride. Peace.

#1 CoastRider, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Montgomery, Priifan, kithmo and 7 others like this.
  2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good for you. I too just enjoy it like any other car without trying to be extreme about it.

CoastRider likes this.
  3. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And I have much respect for all the the do it yourselfers, those guys with the mechanical skill who are more passionate about maintenance and love to work on their Prius at home. I am pretty much at the mercy of the dealer Service dept, and fortunately they have served me pretty well.

And no disrespect intended to all the members on these forums who like to analyze, and dissect, and debate, and really get into all the inner workings of the Prius. I found myself starting to get caught up in all that… unnecessarily so, I believe.

I hope to have a nice peaceful retirement. Not be overly concerned about my Prius. Just driving and enjoying it. Keep up with all the routine maintenance and hopefully it will be trouble free for many years.

#3 CoastRider, Jul 23, 2017
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are fortunate to have a good dealer service department. Many of us have to work around thins ourselves because we are not so fortunate.

Priifan and CoastRider like this.
  5. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

I had a beautiful long drive yesterday. I stopped along the coast at a point and just sat there. Taking in the quiet beauty. And all you could see was water... As far as the eye could see, nothing but that huge ocean. :)

And the Prius performed wonderful. I seem to get better gas mileage when I just drive it, and don't worry about the speed or the air conditioner or pulse & glide and all that. She likes to be driven! She seems happiest when I stretch her legs, at speed. :D

And the new Michelin Premier "Total Performance" tires? After about 2000 miles, I am very happy with that purchase. They sure make my Prius feel good and handle nice.

#5 CoastRider, Jul 23, 2017
  6. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've bought three Toyotas there. I'm sure they are not perfect, and maybe I have just been lucky with their service dept. (And the Toyota vehicles have been so reliable, I never really had to go there with any serious repair issues. Just routine maintenance.)

#6 CoastRider, Jul 23, 2017
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My preferred dealer is 150 miles away. the local one is junk. My local salesman was convinced thet Trim Two was only available with black interior. I was considering Moonstone and ended bu buying beige from my preferred salesman/dealer.
    Between my 2 sons & I we have bought 5 vehicles from tour preferred dealer, 4 from our preferred salesman who still drives his generation 1 Prius.

8. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw a generation one Prius on the road, a couple of weeks ago. At first, I didn't know what it was! :) They sure have changed since then. It's nice to see that there are still some of them out there driving.

Priifan, 'LectroFuel and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Congrats! Last year, I outlined in another thread you started about driving hybrids: Is the Prius too complicated? | Page 2 | PriusChat several stages of hybrid ownership:

Years of watching this and other hybrid boards have shown me there are newbie phases of hybrid ownership that many folks go through:

First is the amazed/excited/happy phase to see the big FE numbers one has never encountered before.

Next is the confused/questioning stage of not really understanding how it all works.

Then comes the research/education phase when one learns the tricks.

This leads to the implementation phase of said techniques.

The next phase is dependent on the individual: either you hit the big numbers and are content or you become frustrated; either because of the application of said techniques is too difficult (tons of threads on this) or you don't hit the big numbers you've seen others post.

The next phase is where I am now: turn off the consumption screens and just drive the damn car. :)

You have now entered the final stage and your journey is now complete. (y)

#9 fotomoto, Jul 23, 2017
    jerrymildred, Priifan, kithmo and 4 others like this.
  10. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, those. "consumption screens" (and all the other displays) do tend to distract me, and I have had a couple of close calls. But, that may be more due to me being an old guy. :ROFLMAO: I haven't completely shut them all off, but I have eliminated some.

I guess that's why that warning pops up on the big screen when you first start the car. "Looking at these screens while driving can cause an accident." :eek:

Keep up the good work men. And ladies. This is a very nice website and great forums. All of your knowledge and experience is much appreciated. I may lurk from time to time, and see if any new issues or problems have popped up with the GEN 4. I'm still a Prius rookie, so I will be out there driving the coastline and enjoying this fine hybrid. :)

Priifan, kithmo, 'LectroFuel and 4 others like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just don't drive too close. Water damage can be costly!

Priifan and CoastRider like this.
  12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree. The real payback is just enjoying the great car that it is. (y)

Priifan, RCO, CoastRider and 2 others like this.
  13. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Glad the OP has found his "happy place" with the Prius. I mostly agree with the "just drive it" philosophy, but two things bother me. I would pay more attention to changing oil on a 10,000 mile interval than a 12 month interval. And, I would certainly not be happy with "anything" over 30 mpg. The Gen 4 should give 50+ mpg all day long without any special attention to technique.

'LectroFuel and CoastRider like this.
  14. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're correct, I meant to say 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. But then again I keep changing my mind… I may end up changing it twice a year. :ROFLMAO:

And yes, I am joking about the 30 mpg. I do expect my Prius to get in the mid to high 50s mpg. And it has done that easily, without even trying any special driving techniques.

I just had my oil changed, speaking of oil. :) Mobil 1 Extended Performance. 0W-20. I had a jug in the garage, and used it up. I swear, the gas engine now sounds quieter when accelerating. Not a huge difference, however a noticeable difference in quietness. Did the Mobil 1 do that? Even if I am just imagining it, I'll take it! ;) :D

15. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Saw this new 2017, trim three, at the dealer. Customized with 18 inch TRD wheels, and Continental "extreme contact" 245-45R-18s? It also had leather seats as an installed option.

And a surf rack and surfboard on top! That is your typical California Prius, for the younger generation. :D

$2500 for those wheels!
    $1895 for leather (seat covers)?
    The younger generation must be a lot richer than me! :LOL:

image.jpg

#15 CoastRider, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    'LectroFuel, Priifan and KennyGS like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not after buying that!

Priifan likes this.
  17. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure it is only a placebo effect, a beneficial effect, produced by a placebo drug or treatment, that cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment. I, too, have experienced a seemingly smoother running engine practically every time I have changed the oil in all types of cars. Maybe it happens to make you feel better about spending whatever money you just spent on your car!

Priifan, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not an aftermarket guy, but I love those wheels. The Continental tires will probably improve handling and MPG will plunge.

Priifan and RCO like this.
  19. Priifan

Priifan Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow! Will be fun to watch a wealthy 75 year old hippie geezer wanna be surfer grandpa drive that baby off the lot! (Perfect for Cali where image is everything, and some of those geezers are damn good surfers BTW and don't have to fake it.) But they won't be able to park this car anywhere without an armed guard because all of the cool parts will be stolen in about 30 secs. No car is safe in Cali with all the window break ins 24/7.
    A bit like seeing another really cool car...the Honda Element designed for mostly 20 something surfers and mountain biker dudes... being driven mostly by 60 plus owners of big dogs around here! (We adore our old beater Element and just can't seem to get rid of it.)

'LectroFuel likes this.
  20. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The trick is to leave your car unlocked with nothing inside. Then you won't have a broken window. It's what I do if I leave a rental car in a sketchy place. We don't have a lot of break-ins, however. If there is a break-in, it's at the beach.;)