1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm driving the 2016 Prius next week. What do you want to know?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not much here, but a very nice display animation around 55 seconds into the video.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The wheel appearance is deceptive, to be sure. The 15" in particular. But it's pretty much a slam dunk that both 15" and 17" wheels are gloss black. One good clue is the lug nuts: they're in the black zone.

It's really perplexing your inability to see pictures on this site. Can you try someone's smart phone, a library computer, or anything? That'd clear it up.

Sometime back in our discussions (not sure which thread now) I posted a picture of a bare 17" rim for you. It was on a disguised test car. You can clearly see it's 5 thin spokes, black, with lugs-with-holes at the outer corner of each spoke, for the silver/white plastic inserts to push onto. Or perhaps bolt onto.

3. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well at least one question seems to be answered .
    Combined System Powers is very disappointing 121 hp !

4. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want a spare tire - a REAL tire, not one of those stupid donuts which are a life hazard to drive on. While I have never had to use the spare, my wife has several times!

Having a FLAT floor means I can slide huge things in with the back seats down. I've amazed people with what fits into my Prius (and didn't fit their "big" car or van). This recently happened when my son wanted to rent a truck to move a large and long dresser, because it didn't fit in any of his friend's cars. It fit in my Prius! But without a flat floor, it would not have slid in easily.

I use my Prius as a camper, so I want a flat floor for sleeping.

5. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At 3:13 in the video I noticed the Traction Control button had a off switch.Looks like they solved the generation 3 problem that you can't turn off the Traction Control.That along will make me consider getting this car

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

also 53.8 MPG on test drives is really good mpg.

Netcub likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One of the first and foremost mentions in MrBillTulsa's linked video is something about new-and-improved EGR system. I find this an odd inclusion, wonder why they would feature prominently what is a very esoteric technical detail.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps...because it might be considered wise to mention a fixed problem to current owners...even if they never concede the design problem ever existed. ;)

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They had voluntary safety campaign (recall) to fix it.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Was not aware as this recall/TSB has not applied to my 2010 or 2015...yet. Point being, they mentioned it because they want folks that have been affected to know/think they fixed it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll never see a full size spare. if the floor is lowered, some 2" foam will be perfect for sleeping.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they have been talking about egr for the past 10 years

13. gerbre

gerbre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used the spare tire of my PII shortly. It's save and no hazard at all. And it has less weight. Your wife should be glad not to carry a real tire.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh it's a "real" tire, lol. Albeit ugly as sin (tractor yellow) and for emergency use only. Yeah me too: as long there's at least a temporary spare available, I'm happy.

jdonalds likes this.
  15. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, they are not safe. Having mixed tires in an emergency stop can cause the driver to lose control. Then add wet or snow conditions, and you have a very dangerous mix of tread. I used to live in Germany, where all four tires are required to be the same for safety.

16. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I buy a new car, one of the things I ask for is a full sized spare. They balk, but when they realize the sale is dependent on it, they give in. On camping trips, having a full size spare is important. The RAV4 my wife has comes with a full size tire, as do a number of other such cars. That cars are more and more being sold with NO spare, is really stupid.

And the donut spare is unsafe for driving on. I've seen people driving 70 mph on them on the freeway. If they needed to make a sudden stop, the driver would totally lose control. And what about wet or snowy or icy roads? They are a real hazard. The government should never have allowed them. The slight amout of mpg saved is not worth the danger of driving on them.

If they were safe, why do say for TEMPORARY use, not to exceed 50 mph, not to make sudden turns or deceleration, not to use on the front axel in snow, etc. They are unsafe.

Adding a 2" foam to the floor doesn't work well. It gives an area of sogginess for part of the sleeping surface. Plus anything else that gets shoved in or out gets snagged on the foam.

17. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    OK - this is the end of the work week portion of "Next Week". Either the test drive happens over the weekend, or the embargo is pretty inclusive.

18. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes thats right,but emergency spare tires are not ment be used as normal tyres !
    You are supposed to go slow and only as far as to the next dealer or garage,so it shouldn't be a big problem no matter what weather condition .
    They are only ment for a very short period of use !

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i understand your reasoning, i just meant they will never come with the car. nothing wrong with strapping one down on the deck, other than the loss of space.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree, and think temp spares are a good compromise. They'll get you out of a jamb, to somewhere where you can get the flat fixed or replaced. You need to be careful, take secondary roads, no big deal.