1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm glad i did not get navigation system on my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm very glad i did not get navigation system on my prius!!!

I've even heard owners of the older prius with nav, systems can not even upgrade their maps.

***my tomtom works great, cost 1/3, and is a better unit than the toyota gps.

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Used to have a TOM TOM and although you don't like the NAV, don't understand why you can't get upgraded NAV disks...they are available.....Always have been...

I prefer to not have to attach and unattach the Poertables...it got to be a pain in the A**, so I am glad in my Gen III I have a totally integrated unit....

It's all about personal choice really...;)

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ski.dive: It is always good when someone is happy with their decision.

As for me, we have the NAV in our G3, IV, and once I read the manual .... I find it quite satisfactory. It was pretty frustrating initially.

I also have a hand-held GPS (Garmin), and while it has been very useful for several years, I hated all the wires (it has an external antenna and power source). I do like the fact that the hand-held will read-out the altitude.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i got the tomtom app for my iphone and it works great in the car.

5. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much is the gps option nowadays on the prius?

My TOMTOM was $189.00, I only use it when I travel.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both a TomTom and the factory nav. TomTom has had one free upgrade (currently using 2007.1 maps). Tempted to upgrade soon but I'll see. So far, both have managed to cover one another so I haven't the need to upgrade the TomTom.

7. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just got a Toyota card offering an upgrade for $199... it used to be $300+ !
    The sky is falling!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was under the impression it was always $200 lol.

9. hbark

hbark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really glad I got my GPS. When we bought our Prius in March 2004, there were no portable GPS's (or at least they weren't very available). Nobody heard about Bluetooth. My wife's the tree-hugger in the family, I'm the geeky computer guy, with all of the cool electronics the car has, it's been a win-win for both of us.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi 650 which I use on my other car and my bike.

10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, i agree with liking the factory navi system. i just wished it had real time traffic.

11. Surfdolfin

Surfdolfin Surfin the Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In-dash is nice ... but there's more than enough info in my new II model screen - and my Garmin only comes out when I need the directions (not often) ... plus, can use it in wife's car, too. Of note, I only purchase the bottom tier's of the cars I buy ... but then, it is for cash
    Bart in SoCAL

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow OP. Thanks for making all of us who did buy the prius nav feel awful. What was the point of your original post again?

Ok Im just kidding a little. I would agree that the separate nav systems are a better value, in fact I would not have bought it either but I bought the car used and it happened to have the nav - what else can I do ya know? But now that Ive used it I must say it's well built and quite useful. The voice commands are responsive and the user interface is larger, but simpler than other gps systems. You won't believe how many times I've gotten from a to b successfully without any hitches, using the navigation system.

Above all it contributes as one of the key elements that makes the Prius so technologically advanced, and I can't imagine my prius without it.

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been watching these type of forums for a while.

the overall sensus has always said the prius navigation sucks.

recently, my build in navigation screen (mfd) broke. even with directions on my iphone... i've come to realize i really really miss my built in navigation. the controls are on the wheel, the microphone and feed back are build in.. it beeps.. updates instantly since it runs off gps and speedometer sensors.

the real problem about non build in units seems to be slow updates... maybe it's just a slow iphone. i've had many occassions where i would have to uturn since my iphone didn't update in time. there were also occasions where i was on the highway but my iphone was on a side road. I've had that happen with my car's navigation.. but at least my car had the speed accurate. my iphone has this auto fit... thing...that includes slowing down my "current location" icon.

ok.. done ranting.. :)

14. jsnschmasn

jsnschmasn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Package 5 owner here. Love the built in NAV. Have it on my phones, used a portable unit and by far the best is in the car. Make sure you check the manual because it can do some pretty amazing stuff; even by voice. The screen is huge and I always prefer using it over any other gadget. I just ordered the 9.1 updating from 7.1. Just my two cents.

15. hbark

hbark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One thing I like about the Prius' built-in nav system (besides the bigger screen) is that it says to "turn right at the next street" (or something like that) when a turn is coming up. This may seem like a little thing, but when you're driving in a city with many little streets coming up, it's handy. My Garmin only says something like "left turn ahead" - but it may be the 2nd or 3rd street ahead.

Minor point, I know. And other brands of GPS units besides Garmin may do this, for all I know.

16. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much was the prius built in nav. System?

You can buy a tomtom for 1/3 the price and use it in your other cars and keep it when you sell the car.

17. Arnold

Arnold +AT+SR

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had been a TomTom user since March 2003. With the built in nav I am missing the max speed of roads and speed warnings most. And although I have the 2008/2009 version it did not have the numbers in a street that exists now already for several years. TomTom's map of late 2008 did have them. But... no hassles with wires, big screen, always available. You cann't win them all.

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since it's the first GPS I ever had, I absolutely love the factory-installed navigation.

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had not originally planned to get a Nav on my 2010 III due to the high cost plus the high cost of the upgrade, which I still think is ridiculous. BUT, I found the car that I wanted with everything else I wanted AND the Nav. So, I went ahead and bought the car.

Now that I have the Nav, I am really glad that I did. I have had Garmins in the past and they do have some features that I like more than the Nav. Overall, though, it is nice having the Nav integrated in the console. I think this feature helps cancel out most of the other negatives for me.

20. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's my take on the Built in Factory Nav.

Although it has some pitfalls, and they are not earth shattering, I love the integration and features it also provides.

I have had aftermarket units, and don't care to be taking them in and out of the car, as they seem to be an "attraction" for the kids having nothing to do, and some adults.:eek:

Sure the cost of the Factory Nav is higher, but the screens for Phone and other functions are great to have. Certainly much more intuitive than not having them.

Cost is relative, because the car with Nav would demand more at trade in for a car compared to same without.

Again the whole thing boils down to personal choice. I prefer the integrated clean look with added functionality from one screen.

Not having NAV leaves a big void in the dash in my opinion. Just became used to it all the years of having it in cars. ;)