1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm going to buy a Mac

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 5, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I ordered the iMac through a local Apple store. The price is the same as on Apple's web site, and I support a local store and can get at least some local support. It will be FedEx'd to them and I'll pick it up (a 5-minute drive).

However, where I live, both Fed Ex and UPS will leave packages on the porches even without a signature, unless the sender specifically requires one.

Memory: Maybe I could have saved a few bucks with aftermarket memory, but this way I know I'm getting the right specs. And I'm hoping they'll actually install two one-GB sticks and leave me an open slot for future expansion. Had I installed my own, I might have ended up with two 512's and no more open slots.

I have no need for the power of MS Word and I want to be 100% free of Microsoft. OpenOffice can save documents as .doc files and it can read .doc files, and that's good enough. As for the Apple programs, there doesn't seem to be a spreadsheet other than the old AppleWorks 6 (not intended for OS X) and MS Office, and the freeware programs. I'd gladly pay for WordPerfect Office, but they don't make that for the Mac. I have no idea why.

Why would I ever want to run Windows on my new Mac??? I'm getting the Mac so I can get away from Windows. I hate Windows almost as much as Wildkow hates liberals. If I was going to run Windows on my new Mac I'd have stuck with my present computer. No more Windows or Norton or IE or Outlook Express for me. Hey, the Mac even has a pretty decent chess program included. I've never been entirely happy with any of the chess programs I've had up til now.

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 6 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]315575[/snapback]</div>
    You will have peace of mind by having the memory installed by Apple. I'm lusting over the midrange Macbook myself, and if I do get one, I think I'll go to the store to get it. (Although I've never had trouble with FedEx.) Apple does require a signature for deliveries.
    There are rumors floating around about a new Apple spreadsheet program coming out soon. That would be nice.
    Enjoy,
    David

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 6 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]315585[/snapback]</div>
    That would make sense, since apparently there is not one now, and MS Office is really priced outside the budget of most casual home users. But if OpenOffice or NeoOffice works, I don't see a lot of need for it for myself. My spreadsheet needs are extremely basic. A simple template that allows me to categorize my monthly expenditures so I can see how much I spend on food, how much on medical care, etc.; and a spreadsheet that projects how much money I will have each successive year based on assumptions about income, taxes, interest rates, and expenses.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Couple of tips...

You can drag folders to the Dock... in the bottom right part... so you can right click them (or either control or apple + click for a single button mouse) and get a sort of start menu for each of the folders you put there.

You can also put frequently used documents there.

Sorry if it was already mentioned!

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Sep 7 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]315657[/snapback]</div>
    Once you get comfortable with all things Mac then it will be time to use Quicksilver.

It will change the way you use computer. As usual no PC equivalent.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Daniel, regarding software --

Keynote will read powerpoint
    Nisus is a *fantastic* WP, and has it's own little cult following, just like the mac -- and for very good reason.
    I use NeoOffice too for my very occasional excel requirements. You might want to check out OS X shareware spreadsheet offerings, if thin and fast appeal to you. Mariner used to be a good choice, although I do not know how much it is updated to OS X (meaning I don't think it is written in Cocoa).

Hardware --
    If you are adamant about having a 'desktop', pick whatever monitor you like, and hook it up to a Mac mini !! iMacs have esthetic appeal, but the built-in obsolescence is pretty steep, and lack of vertical adjustment in the design is .. well .. lame.

But really, I'd suggest you reconsider your h/w strategy, and buy a MacBook Pro notebook instead, along with a nice external hard drive for backups. You can always have a nice monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse to use at home with the notebook, for that 'no compromises' feeling, while not having to fuss with trying to remember which computer has what data. Been there, *never* going back.

This board is brimming with Mac folks, so bring us your questions, and mabrook !

7. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 7 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]315738[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! In iMacs you will be able to upgrade the processor. Ram is laughably easy to add (there is a little door at the bottom of the case).

This is not the case with the 'books!

Cheers.

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz @ Sep 6 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]315098[/snapback]</div>
    I have Parallels for Windows. And it works, but it is buggy. As in, it won't find my printer (even though it 'sees' the USB line it's on). And even with that, it thinks it's a slow line, when it's not.

Another thing about it, it will run fine, as a small window within the Apple OS for a while, but then it decides that it wants to be large and in charge, so you have to go into the display settings on Windows and change the display settings to 800 x 600 for it to behave correctly. Which makes programs like Yahoo Mail Beta act all odd, since it wants a larger display setting.

And then, there is the file sharing on this program. It worked really well for me, for a while, but then it decided that it does not want to work so well now. It does allow me to cut and paste words back and forth, but I have yet to convince it to allow for shared images and the like, again.

So I got this Microsoft program for the Mac, that runs a VR Windows Pro, but I had to return that, since it won't work on a Intel iMac.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Sep 6 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]315113[/snapback]</div>
    :angry:

Dang it all! I mean, I just got this iMac! the 20! And now they come out with the larger, faster one. And I went to the store, after talking to a person from Apple as well! The least they could have done was warned me that a larger one was coming out, in like, a week or so!

Man! You just can't believe how frustrating that is. I thought, 'well, at least it will be a while before I have to worry about an upgrade, unlike the PC world, where they upgrade every month, so it seems...'

:angry:

Guess I was wrong.

9. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 6 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]315575[/snapback]</div>
    Here too. In fact, I am waiting for a package today from UPS.

I agree with you, that I want to be free of Windows, but there is two programs I have to run, that only run in the world of Windows, sadly. So, that is why I got Parallels for Mac.

Plus, oddly enough, one other program I use, to listen to XM online, works better in IE then in Safari or Firefox. So I open that up in Parallels, minimize the window, and voila, I can listen to XM happily.

Someone mentioned how the Parallels program does not run Windows as fast. I have not found that to be true, yet, but I only run simple programs in there. Oh, and if you do have to run Windows, make sure you run a anti virus program (like Norton), since while the Viruses can't really harm the programs in a Mac, I have been told, that it can still wreck havoc with the hardware.

10. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

I gotta have a Big Mac.

11. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 7 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]315780[/snapback]</div>
    If it's less than 30 days, you should be able to contact them and upgrade without a problem.

As for QuickSilver, yeah, it's great, and it's free, but I prefer LaunchBar. It just works better, but it costs for full features.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 7 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]315795[/snapback]</div>
    Whoever told you this clearly needs to go do some remedial computer courses. There is no virus that I am aware of that could do this; and, while I'll never say "never," it'd be nearly impossible for a virus to impact the hardware in the way you describe. I suppose it *IS* possible that someone could design a virus that would jump the partition and wreak havoc on the Mac side of things, but I'm not aware of any viruses (and certainly no widespread viruses) that could do such a thing. Of course, even then, that's just a software issue.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In one of my many "support" calls, a MicroSerf told me XP running on Virtual PC on a mac is pretty much immune. I don't think this would hold true for a dual boot system without the emulation.

14. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Sep 7 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]315814[/snapback]</div>
    I just called them, and they gave me a price adjustment (I got over $300 back on my credit card). But no upgrade without bringing the whole deal back, and then paying a restock fee, plus I lose all of what I have done to this computer.

Well, thanks anyway. At least I got some money back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Sep 7 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]315826[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I thought so to, but figured, why not just run Norton. It's not a big deal. Seems to me that if Windows is just running in VR mode, it could not affect the Apple OS at all.

15. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 7 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]315834[/snapback]</div>

Sounds like you break even. $300 back and restocking fee.

You should be backing up the computer anyway. Get a firewire drive, and a copy of SuperDuper (search versiontracker.com for it). It'll back up your drive exactly, even make it bootable. Then you run out, get your new computer, back up to that, and you're off and running. You've lost nothing, and you've gained a backup.

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Sep 7 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]315757[/snapback]</div>
    lol ! No offense intended Alric. I *know* how sensitive you mac folk get about your 'puters ;)

My comment is from looking at it as a desktop replacement, and being stuck with the screen, wireless, and video card. I certainly agree that a notebook is no more upgradeable, but it has the wonderful virtue of being a notebook !

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As for an office program, I'll probably stick with OpenOffice for the time being. I've got it on my Linux laptop and it does what I need it to. I've also got it on my Windows box now, just to play with. It can save to MS Word format, which is a feature I need since I do translation for people who cannot read anything but Word format.

I understand the reasoning for using a laptop instead of a desktop, but I like my laptop small for travel, and my desktop monitor big. Plus, unlike folks who work in two places and need portability of their work machine, I use the laptop only for travel, and when travelling all I need is email, the ocassional web access, and access to my bank. I don't need to share files or sync the two.

Hardware: I considered connecting a Mac Mini to my present monitor and keyboard, but in the end I liked the features of the iMac. And this way I can do the "factory" re-install and donate the old computer.

TJ: I feel for you! I almost bought the iMac the day before they announced the new 64-bit iMac! That's pretty crummy of Apple. FWIW, the salesmen at the store insisted they had heard nothing about it until the day of the official announcement.

My only regret now is that in ordering the memory upgrade (rather than doing it myself) I probably delayed arrival by a week, as the store might have had the basic units in the warehouse. But I was concerned about being able to get exactly the right memory stick.

Patience... patience...

18. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 7 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]316166[/snapback]</div>

I think OpenOffice only runs in X11? Is that right? If so, consider NeoOffice, which is Univeral Binary, OSX native, and free for the beta. X11 is fugly.

You made a good choice re: the mini. Especially now that the iMacs are 64bit, etc, the minis are just not that appealing. Maybe for specialized uses (like that Prius mod I found on this site!), but for most of us....meh.

19. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Sep 7 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]315851[/snapback]</div>
    Well, after thinking about it all day, the only significant difference between my Mac and the new bigger one, besides the screen size and resolution, is the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory.
    The Mac I have has ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory. SO, not so much a big deal to me, after all. I don't do heavy lifting with graphics anyway.

And, also on far more practical side, which is rare for me, the iMac I have right now occupies a large place on my physical desk. A bigger one would me that I would have little room for my Turntable. Yes, I have a Numark TTUSB on my desktop. In fact, I am listening to Bob Dylan right now, in Mono.

All this technology, and I still love my records.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    NeoOffice is only in beta. Yes, OpenOffice runs in X11. But OpenOffice is more mature. I'll probably try both. With a 250 GB hard drive I can install as much stuff as I like.

I used OpenOffice to write a letter and paste in a scan of an image, and then I faxed it to my mom via eFax, and it came through just fine. (She faxed it back to me so I could see it.) I also attached an OpenOffice document to an email to my sister and she was able to open it in Word and all the formatting was correct. So it does what I need it to do. As for X 11, I'll see how that goes when I get the iMac. Isn't my Linspire on the laptop running X 11? Doesn't seem to be a problem. What don't you like about it?

The new iMac has a very slightly faster clock speed (2.13 Ghz compatred to 2 Ghz, if I remember correctly) and being 64 bit may boot up faster (???) and will be ready for a 64-bit OS and 64-bit software. Also, the new 20" iMac has three memory slots compared to two for the old. However, they may both be obsolete before either of those differences matter.