1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm going to scream...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by barbie.gee, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbie.gee @ Nov 25 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]544126[/snapback]</div>
    We don't bother trying to justify owning a Prius but do very plainly tell whoever that our vehicle pollutes a hell of a lot less than theirs does unless they have a fuel cell or total electric vehicle. That is the real reason we became interested in the Prius.
    :p
    Gary

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Nov 26 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]544298[/snapback]</div>
    That makes me wonder: "why are we the ones who have to justify our purchase?"

How come they don't have to justify their emissions, their gasoline consumption, their funding of foriegn government?

If I want to pollute less and consume less gasoline, I will buy the car that helps me achieve that goal. And at what cost? A few extra bucks out of my own pocket.

If they want to haul 6 kids, a 30' boat, and twelve suitcases for an average three times per year, they will buy the vehicle that helps them achieve that goal. And at what cost? Additional particulates in the air, additional greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, increased consumption of a non-renewable fuel, and an increasing flow of money into the pockets of big oil both domestic and foreign.

Justify the money I spent on my Prius? Bite me.

3. kbo1114

kbo1114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Most people I run into are curious about my Prius so I don't have to fend off any rude questions or comments. But the once or twice I did I just told them that I felt strongly about not having our country be so dependent on oil and that I felt like I was being a part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That usually shuts them up ;)

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For me, those comments have tapered way back since the price of gas has gone up.

Last time someone mentioned a premium and "payback" - the conversation went like this:

ME: "At $1.55 per gallon, the payback will take longer than when the cost of gas goes UP to two dollars per gallon."

THEM: "But the price of gas is already over three dollars."

ME: "Yes, the PRICE is over three dollars, but my Prius gets over twice the miles per gallon than the car it replaced . . . therefor, the COST to me is half. When my cost of gas goes up to two dollars per gallon, the payback will be even sooner. At what price does your car pay you back?"

THEM: <_<

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i suppose there are unseen advantages to paying extra for the off-road package in your suv... i mean, there are plenty of trails you can take to work in lieu of the highway, right?

no? hmmmmm.

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 26 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]544365[/snapback]</div>
    Of course there are, can't you see them in this image:
    [attachmentid=12630]

Attached Files:

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a quote (copy and pasted) from Edmunds in regards to the Altima Hybrid.

When discussing any hybrid, fuel economy is a priority-one concern and the Altima Hybrid certainly delivers, with an estimated EPA 42 mpg city and 36 mpg highway. That's basically identical to the related Toyota Camry Hybrid, and better than the Honda Accord Hybrid and Saturn Aura Green Line Hybrid. It's also about 16 mpg better than the four-cylinder Altima in city driving, but about equal to it on the highway. The Hybrid is therefore best suited for around-town duties and even then, the gas savings most likely won't make up for the price premium – hybrids are still more of a moral, ecological choice than an economic one.

Sigh. THIS is where people get their "hair brained" notions about Hybrids having a "cost premium". Now, to be fair, what they are saying is if you compare a Altima Hybrid to a comparably equipped gas only Altima, you will pay more money. Problem is, you aren't getting the same engine (and drivetrain?). It makes as much sense as saying that you won't recoup the cost difference between a Camry LE and Camry XLE through gas mileage or enjoyment of the leather appointments.....

I wish people would think a bit.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ibmindless @ 2007 11 25 22:21) [snapback]544157[/snapback]</div>
    :D Yeah, that's my favourite so far, too. U not b mindless!
    I've been known to ask people "And what are you doing in your car that makes you money?" They usually have to stop and think about that one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Codyroo @ 2007 11 27 18:18) [snapback]544997[/snapback]</div>
    If we're going to bring morality and ecology into the discussion, I feel compelled to mention the options of working from home, walking, and cycling, which have even less of an impact than driving a Prius. Blasphemous, but true. :eek:

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I know of only a few Prius drivers who have kept complete records of their fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration, financing costs. Purchase price minus resale value at year XX. Add it all up and divide by the total miles driven.

If you do this, you will likely find the total operating costs of Prius in the 20 to 35 cents per mile range. It is not the cheapest thing around, but it is far less than the average vehicle 55 cents per mile that AAA and EPA report.

Edmunds also has a total cost of ownership page, but it has always seemed to me that their maintenance and depreciation numbers are too high. So, more real owners keeping track might provide very interesting results.

Lowest of all are the small reliable sedans purchesed well-used and then driven forever. Then you are in 15 cents per mile territory. But, they do pollute more than Prius, and are perhaps not quite as pleasant to drive.

10. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is a lot of ignorance out there and a lot of fascination by people in general. I tend to ignore the comments made my people, even my own family who would mention that the battery is a liability in buying a hybrid car, or how theres no reason to buy a hybrid because there is no benefit. A good example would be a close friend of mine, who tell people that you wont really need the prius, it has no benefit financially at the pump, even though i brag about how i end up paying 30 dollars to fill up and drive about 540 miles on a tank.

People will change once they see the benefits up close and personal, and unfortunately when gas prices go up really high.

11. earthworm

earthworm New Member

"It Is Written.." "Go to Hell!" or other insult direct is the only answer a nosey question merits...Robert A. Heinlein.
    MAO: It's MY money;how I choose to spend it is my own damn business.Yes the Yaris was cheaper:my lady friend convinced me it was too small & when we packed up to drive from Nashville TN to Charleston SC she was right. The payment & insurance numbers crunched very favorably toward the Prius. Recover my money in gas saving?-maybe: I went from a long-bed Chevy 6-cylender averaging 18MPG to averaging at worst 40MPG.Environmentally wise?-not a motive to me but a comforting feeling. Folks don't like what I drive?-KMA!

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ran a quick calculation.
    I went car shopping, I could get a new Corolla for $20,000AU plus on road cost but lets not even count them or a used Prius for $25,000AU on the road.
    I drive about 25,000km per year.
    My Prius uses 4 L/100km less than my old 2 litre car, same size inside as Prius.
    That is 1000 litres less fuel per year.
    Petrol right now is $1.40AU per litre
    1000 litres X $1.40 = $1400 per year
    I kept my last car for 14 years.
    14 X $1400 = $19,600AU
    I get a bigger car than a Corolla for $14,400AU less than the Corolla.
    If the price of petrol goes up I may end up with a free car before the 14 years is up.
    How much was that "premium" again?

13. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 28 2007, 04:57 AM) [snapback]545132[/snapback]</div>
    Come on.... lets be fair. Please quote a NEW Prius which is comparatively equipped as the new Corolla that you cited. Then, lets do the valuation... I don't know the outcome... just want you to do it right.

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Nov 28 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]545135[/snapback]</div>
    But my shopping trip was for a 3 year old Prius, if you bought a new one do your own calculations.
    Are you seriously telling me if you didn't buy a Prius you would have bought a car worth half as much? I don't think so.

OK, to be fair the price of a similarly equiped Corolla is $32,290AU from http://www.toyota.com.au/buildandprice/ind...amp;siteID=1634
    Some accessories in the Corolla are not in the Prius but this is the only model that has the features I do use such as climate control and pollen filter. I added alloy wheels and spoiler because Prius has each of these.

Prius in the trim level I have, base = $37,400AU Medium size car
    Corolla without traction control = $32,290AU smaller size car
    Price difference between them = $5110AU or about the same as my earlier comparison of base model new corolla and 3 year old Prius.

Fact is I wasn't shopping for a $30,000+ car but if you are there is an Aussie perspective.
    Fuel use comparison between Prius and Corolla is exactly 3 litres difference, at $1.40AU per litre that equals $1050AU per year or $14700AU over 14 years.

15. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 28 2007, 05:54 AM) [snapback]545141[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - your point still stands as you stated.... (works out to about a 4 year payout).

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(earthworm @ Nov 28 2007, 03:12 AM) [snapback]545128[/snapback]</div>
    I mentioned to a friend that my wife thinks the Smart car is very cute and she would love to test drive one when they are finally offered around here. He started naming a slurry of cars that cost less than the Smart. His argument was that the other cars are larger and have more appointments. I asked, "so if someone chooses to buy a two-seater car with minimal luggage room, no towing capacity, and pays more than an entry level vehicle, he's a fool? I'd love to hear you convince a Crossfire, Miata, and TT driver of that."

17. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Nov 28 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]545142[/snapback]</div>
    Not really, it is paid out already because I get to drive a Prius right from the time of purchase, the other guy gets a Corolla.

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 28 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]545184[/snapback]</div>
    DING, DING, DING . . . We have a winner!

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To be fair, the cost comparison with a used Prius should have been to a used Corolla. Given the numbers above, I suspect the Prius still would have been cheaper. And, more importantly, the Prius is much more car, and therefore worth the higher purchase-price tag. But fair is fair, and the price of the Corolla should have been quoted for a car of the same model year as the Prius.

20. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remember...In a recent Consumer Reports polling, the Prius was on top of the list in a "Would you buy it again" scenario. It was like 92% yes (Or something like that)