1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm headed to the garage first thing Monday

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoanneR, Apr 5, 2008.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First of all, I know practically zero about cars. I have a 2007 Prius, mileage is about 16,000 miles. Since I was en route to the south when it was due for its maintenance check, the next check-up is due at 17,000 miles. The other day, the tire pressure light came on. I went and added air (35 front, 33 rear). Light goes out. I've been driving around for a couple of days with no problem. I went up to the mall today about 8 miles away with no problem. When I went to go home, I start to hear a knocking sound which sounds like it is coming from the front end. The slower I go, the slower it goes. The faster I go, the faster the sound is. I just went to the air compressor to make sure the pressures were okay, and I had to add a little to the right front tire. But I still have the noise. I won't drive it anymore except 3/4 mile down the road to the dealership. I'm scared it might be something $$$$. Any ideas what might be wrong?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how loud is it?

Did you check to see if anything's lodged in the tread? (could be a large stone/pebble)

3. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I rolled down the window driving around the parking lot and couldn't really hear it that much and people aren't paying attention when I drive by. I didn't check the treads, but I will now. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with Tideland here. It sounds as though there's something stuck in the tire. Before you take it into the dealer and give them permission to run a full diagnostics and charge you an arm and a leg, do a thorough check of the tire yourself.

The good news is that you indicated it's a front tire. This means that you can turn the tire so the treads are facing out. It'll be easier to inspect. Start by turning the tire completely to the right side. This will make the front of the tire stick out for easier inspection. As best you can, inspect the entire treaded area of the tire. If you don't see anything, get in your car and roll it forward about a foot. This will turn the part of the tire that was under the car to the front of the car. Check that section. If you still don't see anything, roll it another foot. This will complete a full rotation of the tire.

If you haven't found anything stuck to or in your tire, then take it to the dealer. But if it turns out to be just something in the tire, then you can take it somewhere to have it fixed for hopefully less than the dealer would charge.

Good luck and keep us posted.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi J....,

I had this happen to me. I had run over some hot tar, and it peeled up off the road and stuck in the tire threads. A few minutes with a screw driver got the portion in the threads cleaned out, and scraped from the outside of the tire. Its not neccassary to get it all, just so that there are only little pieces on the outside of the tire left. With no support, these pieces will wear down and off quick enough.

6. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found out what the problem was

I took at look at the tires and didn't find anything, so I headed off to the garage this a.m. The problem was a broken fastener (I think that it what he called it) in the hubcap. They replaced the hubcap and sound has gone away. There was no charge. Whew!!!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh ok. Well at least it was something simple.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. I'm glad you can get back to enjoying your Prius.

9. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hubcap? Do you mean one of the trim rings? Guess I'm all the more grateful I removed mine, the ugly things cause weird noises as well as looking nasty!! :D