1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm kind of sad the more I learn about Teslas

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Isaac Zachary, Feb 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Another reason to feel sad about Teslas... Tesla's Model Y Battery Has 'Zero Repairability,' Sandy Munro Says

They are deliberately making the batteries integral with the frame. The individual cells can't be salvaged or recycled except by shredding. A minor low speed crash may end up with a repair bill higher than the value the car.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, FUD is hard to wipe out once it spreads.
    I don’t believe AP could be used like that without overriding it.
    FSD won’t run flashing red lights or signs.

And the emergency braking works well, until a driver overrides it.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performs Very Well At Euro NCAP’s Pedestrian Emergency Braking Test | Carscoops

Sadly, once the investigation is done, and the driver and Tesla have the black-box results, the actual cause won’t make the same headlines.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I found this very interesting. Ria always does good videos.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Taking a look at the NCAP page, it gives the majority of the cars in the current test a 5 star rating. I would not depend on it for an evaluation of safety.

This part seems to point to the problem with reports of Tesla faults: Per Zythryn:
    I don’t believe AP could be used like that without overriding it.
    FSD won’t run flashing red lights or signs.
    And the emergency braking works well, until a driver overrides it."

Isn't that the point? It's not supposed to run red lights or turn onto oncoming traffic or run into parked fire trucks... But it seems that sometimes it does.

It has been confirmed that the tesla involved in the recent wreck on I-680 in Walnut creek was under autonomous control when it hit the fire truck at full speed. It was a 2014 Model S that killed the driver and injured the passengers.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Autopilot is DCC and LKA. Depending on the exact situation. It could run into the bus or the kid. If the auto braking also failed. That is a big if, cause if Tesla's were hitting pedestrians even at a fraction of the times they hit firetrucks, there would already be multiple news stories about it.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On my recent 4,600 mi trip, the car changed lanes to increase passing distance at every traffic stop and reduced 75 mph speed until passed. I even saw one alert letting the driver, me, know what it was doing.

Bob Wilson

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you have Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, or FSD?

I'm sure it does a better job than most, but Autopilot has the functions of DCC and LKA as in other cars. Enhanced adds in the ability to change lanes when prompted, and can follow a nav route on the highway. FSD can do more, but it appears to be activated on less than half the Teslas on US roads, so I was assuming the incident with the school kid likely didn't involve it. Even Enhanced is pricey. I'd guess half of the non-FSD Teslas have it.

The system isn't perfect, but the amplification of incidences involving Autopilot by the news would definitely come into effect in the case of the cars hitting any person or a school bus. I admit to not being a close follower of Tesla news, but I would think any such reports would come to my notice, and I haven't seen them.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have both Autopilot and FSD. They worked brilliantly as I just had to supervise between biology-charging breaks.

I kinda don't care about false claims against Tesla Autopilot and FSD. Those who are foolish enough to believe, well it is a free country. They are free to end their lives anyway they wish and at the sales pitch of con-men. Let God sort them out.

Bob Wilson

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think the kid that got run over had an opinion one way or the other.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In Las Vegas, my Tesla shifted away from the unsteady pedestrian standing near the curb by the lane. Also, there were at least five police stops where the Tesla changed lanes away from the flashing police lights and two cases where it slowed ~75 mph and displayed an informational text.

What is the accident rate with one kid hit?

Bob Wilson

#90 bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

One too many.

Note that the report did not say that any driver assists were engaged, only speculated that, because it was a Tesla, it could have been. Just more bad publicity. BTW the kid involved is home and recovering well.

I only engage driver assists on interstates where there is a lot of buffer and I only expect it to maintain lane, distance, and speed. Any other operations I perform. And want to. I don't understand why I would want it in a dynamic congestion scenario where rapid change can come from any direction. I trust my sensors more than its. I trust my multi-layered threat analysis more than it at this stage.

Trollbait likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If it wasn't clear, I doubt Autopilot or greater were involved in this incident. I do winder if the autobrake was engaged, and if so, did it activate or was over ridden.

For someone that once posted nearly every accident involving a Prius, you are pretty blasé about ones with a Tesla.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tesla auto-braking is more tuned for AutoPilot engaged. Driving manually, you can be just as dangerous as anyone else.
    I followed the Prius accidents because of the "Bell the Hybrid" act that mandates noise makers on all hybrid and EV cars. The early data suggests there is a turn bias killing and hitting pedestrians walking in driver-side cross walks. Too common, the relatively low rate is ignored by the NHTSA so I don't follow them like I used to.

As for "Bell the Hybrid," the Tesla outer worldly tune is actually appealing to me. Not enough that I would pay to have it added to my 2019. Rather, it is like "Hail to the Chief" when I hear it at SuperCharger stations. Not safety but 'show off' announcing another Tesla owner.

Bob Wilson