1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm looking for technical info on the 2011+ hihy drivetrain

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by BrettS, Sep 30, 2012.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased a 2012 Highlander Hybrid to sit next to my 2010 Prius in my garage. I just picked it up last night, but I was able to get about 30MPG on a short trip on the highway, then 39MPG over 10 miles through town. I'm definitely excited to see what it can do long term.

However, I looked around a bit last night and this morning and I couldn't really find any info about how the hybrid synergy drive works in the hihy's. Is it the same as the gen III Prius's with a bigger ICE and electric motors? Does anyone have any links with technical info or comparisons between the hihy and Prius?

Thanks much,
    Brett

markabele likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pretty much. The major difference is a third electric motor on the rear axle for AWD.

According to the Wiki, it's the same drivetrain as in the RX450h if that helps.

3. LVPrius

LVPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Bretts, that's the kind of garage I want, though I'm a few steps away. Currently I have an '09 Prius and an '06 Highlander Sport (non-hybrid). Love the my Highlander but would love to replace it with the Hihy.
    I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the Hihy and of course how the mpg's as you put more miles on it.
    Congrats on the new ride!

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I second that! I would love to hear as many reports as you care to put on here. Obviously keep us updated on FE but I would also love to hear if you ever try to tow anything with it and then how it performs if you ever have it in winter weather.