1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm not driving an electric car to California. Give me a plug-in hybrid

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, May 16, 2021.

1. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I forgot to mention... My experience this week was not an aberration. I'd noticed a similar phenomenon last month when I made the same trip. The only reason that I mention Tesla specifically is that they are very easy to recognize from the front or back, and no confusion between BEV models and fuel cell or hybrid models. Telsa's also have their very own charging network to enable long trips.

What made it more ironic is that while I saw very few Teslas on the open road, I did see a Rav4 Prime scooting up I-505 northbound on my trip up to Oregon.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some minor details:
    • Motels I frequent have a sign that says 'For Guests Only' and threaten to tow away anyone else.
    • Go to a fast food place first for biology break and a snack takeout.
    • About 10% of the fast DC or L2 chargers are not obvious when looking for them.
    • There are Tesla specific distribution chargers that only Teslas can use and more universal J1772 that everyone including Teslas can use. That was demonstrated in the video, a Tesla using the J1772 while a distribution charger was idle.
    Bob Wilson

#22 bwilson4web, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Had to check. From their website they show a 2020 Model 3 Standard Range Plus for $46,451.

A new 2021 Standard Range Plus from the Tesla website is listed as $39,990 (actual, not 'after estimated savings'). In the same silver metallic color it is $40,990.

Why would someone pay so much more for a used car? Maybe someone is willing to pay extra to avoid being put on a waitlist.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    All used cars are expensive right now. So many of the same reasons people would pay inflated used prices for a Tesla apply to other brands.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    maybe 2 months ago - found a used rav4 prime (premium package) for $45K private party - but it got sold before we got to it. Even after you add in 8% Cali sales tax, then subtract fed & state tax incentive money? The owner still made a thousand bucks profit on it. Strange times for used cars. Are the high prices really caused by chip shortage? Or the ever deflated u.s. dollar

#25 hill, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021