1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm out

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Nov 29, 2007.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to see you go, Nate. I may have taken exception to you calling Bjorn a murderer, but that in no way means I'd rather you weren't here. At least drop in and say hello sometime.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nate, maybe it is at this point that you'll find use in the hospitable, accepting and unprejudiced platform that the mods foster. As far as I see your experience, contemplation may provide you with good reason to stick around.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will be very sorry to see you go, Nate! One less voice of reason on the board. :(

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, it won't be the same without you.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can we agree to disagree? We will miss you gone like that.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nate,

I must have missed it.

Were you suspended? Banned forever? Or given an offer that you can and did refuse?

And for what?

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What?!

Nate... no.
    Seriously, that's just wrong. The leaving part for sure

Take your whipping like a man, and get back on the horse. Or something like that.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm never quite sure what to say with these things. Everyone is clearly free to make the choices they feel best for themselves and while I am very disappointed to see Nate leave the forum I don't feel much sympathy for his reasoning.

I was made aware that one of his posts had been moderated by a 3rd person and to this date I don't know who edited his one post or why or what was edited. Nate never contacted me directly, AFAIK he never contacted Danny or the moderator who edited his post.

But one post that wasn't moderated was the one where he called Doc Vijay a "moron". Yup, we let a direct, blatant personal attack slide...not b/c we didn't see it, but b/c we felt the OP both knew to expect some pretty hostile retorts and that Nate did not have a reputation for adverse behavior.

I honestly don't see how we could be more fair. Doc Vijay was a good member and Prius owner here for several years. AFAIK nobody had an ill word toward him during that tenure.

It should be noted that I directly was critical of Doc Vijay's decision and still am. But I didn't have to resort to a personal attack to make my point. Nate took a much more hostile attack. I feel that the moderators handled the entire thread very fairly for everyone involved. But Doc has the right to make any decison he wants and buy any car he wants. we certainly be critical and that doesn't mean that we're siding with anyone, Doc's rights are and were no greater than Nate's.

Again, I'm sorry to see Nate go having met him in person. But if you expect fair treatment here then you must treat others fairly as well. If you feel you're being treated unfairly at least ask us about the decisions and here the reasons and let us discuss what happened...many times things are misunderstood by several parties and a little discussion can go a long way to clear it up. But picking up your marbles and finding a new game with a slam at the forum mods and a kick at another member is childish and benefits no one.

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 29 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]545919[/snapback]</div>
    Aww c'mon nate. I've been reprimanded half a dozen times and even banned for 3 days. I'm pretty sure more than 1/2 the people here hate me, but it's fun to play on IHOP. Just take your lumps and stop being such a sensitive wuss.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been given warnings before. It's not "censorship", it's called "moderating". It's their board, we play by their rules. Their rules include no personal name calling, and I can live with that.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you are leaving??? what... cant take criticism? need everyone to agree with you? cmon man!! that aint what you want...the first stage of team building is called "storming".... and it aint named that because of how well we all get along...

i have been in your shoes and hey, i m still here. because i know that no matter what i say, all will not agree. but that is life and that is how i grow is by listening to the people who think i a crackpot...

leaving is the same as saying "they won. they are right". well if that isnt how you feel then you should be here

13. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Response courtesy of Diane Arbus:

[​IMG]

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I noticed the opening poster CENSORED what was originally there. Can you say irony?

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know if it's self-inflicted but it looks like many of his recent posts have been replaced with ".." as in this case. Is that his own doing, or the mods in action? I thought moderated messages usually have a disclaimer saying that they've been moderated...?

If it's self-inflicted, then that's pretty lousy behavior.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, in an act of immaturity Nate began going through and deleting his own old posts.
    I'm fully baffled by this behavior. If you feel unwelcome or that the forum is not for you any longer that's fine. Walk away with your chin held high and contribute your energy somewhere you feel better suited.
    But this is just ridiculous. Nate has made a self-rightous judgement of another member declaring what Bjorn has done as "unethical" and then assuming that gives him the right to say, do, or behave in any way he wants. This is akin to the thought process anti-abortion protestors use to justify murdering doctors who perform abortions.

I'm more disappointed in Nate at this point than I am in Bjorn b/c Bjorn at least shows some element of insight into his decision.
    I just wish we could all act like grown ups and realize we don't all think alike, feel alike and act alike.

17. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a final explanation: I have deleted anything that can get me into legal trouble, since I won't be here to defend myself. It's not spite, immaturity, etc, only prudence.

I'm on a first name basis with a few higher ups at Toyota, and I deleted all of the mods that they don't like. I've also deleted the posts that make people angry, since there's no use generating any new hostility after I'm gone.

I've left my signal mirror mods, XM antenna inside spoiler mods, alternate shift lever mods, etc all in place for future visitors. I leave behind a wealth of information new owners can access.

I've come to realize that this is not the forum to effect social change that I so desire. I used to believe that everyone wants what I want, a better, safer, stronger America, free from war for foreign oil, environmental damage, and safer highways. Even some people that are shown a better way will not make choices that are good for this Nation.

I've also come to realize that our society, including this forum, is not yet ready to call out unethical vehicles for what they are, nor address the root personality problems that cause them. Like smoking bans, there must be a paradigm shift in society before this will change. I hear too much "I support your right to drive whatever you want" verbage in this forum.

I have realized the only way to effect social change in this area is through legislation. I don't need to be supporting the Prius owners anymore, since they don't need me. I'll be spending time working with lawmakers to get laws passed to prevent such large vehicles from being built, rather than just complain about it on PriusChat. By the way, vehicles over 6000 lbs are illegal on many California streets. Vehicles over 7000 lbs GVWR are illegal in many streets in my home town as well. I'm going to start with my local police to get a few of these vehicles towed.

The long and short of it is I'm going to spend time on other things.

A final note, I absolutely, positively, do not support violence against people or property. I resent that Evan has implied as such and if anybody reading this thinks otherwise and commits a crime, you deserve prison or worse for such actions. Use your words and the democracy that we have before us to make a difference.

That is all.

Nate

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nate, I didn't mean to imply you would be inclined to violence, just that the thought processes of placing ones values so far above someone else's to justify one's actions is where I find fault. I'm sorry if you misunderstood how how I stated that.

Whatever your reasoning your actions here were wrong in deleting your posts.

Finally, I sincerely wish you luck in your legislative efforts. But remember that many of the lawmakers whom you'll be talking to likely drive large SUVs too, and if you choose to call them unethical morons it's highly likely that you won't get far with them either.

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah. Get those big honkers of the road. I'm down with that.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we live in a country where people are free to make those choices, nate. imo freedom of choice is one of the things that makes america great- shame that stupid choices are equally free to be made but you take the good with the bad. sorry you don't agree with that.

you know, my boss ripped me a new one twice in two days over something i thought was completely unfair to rip on me about since it's far beyond my own control. but despite that adding to the huge pressure that's on me this week, i'm not gonna quit, i'm gonna suck it up and keep on. i'm certainly not going to pack up the data i've worked up and take it with me.

as much as i hate to say it, because you've been a really helpful member of this community and your willingness to share career tips for my husband was beyond appreciated- if you can't handle disagreement, PC is not the place to be.

best of luck to you in your legislative quest. i hope you're able to make some progress using that avenue of change.