1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm outa here...for a bit

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by qbee42, Sep 19, 2008.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

This photo is completely misleading. It's the same day as the "hot and tired" photo. We are incredibly content and happy, but so beat that it looks like we are having a terrible time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Both of us were in a nearly Zen-like state.

2. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

Moving on, still in Colorado, this is at the top of a fourteener. Note the person in the upper right of this photo, which gives some sense of scale.

3. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

Me at the top, watching a snow storm whirl by.

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

Okay, here's the confession: I was going to let you guys think we climbed a fourteener, but Tripp or one of those other pesky Colorado people might have recognized Pike's Peak. We took the cog line train up from Manitou Springs.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

And the train...complete with foreign tourists. As best I can tell, there are more foreign tourist out west than local people, by about a two to one margin.

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

The exciting trip back home. This was pretty much the view all the way back to Michigan. I could have tied off the steering wheel and taken a nap.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a lot of additional photos, but I've already posted more than any sane person would care to view. If you want any specific details, such as photos from the trip up Pike's Peak, or more of my ten thousand nearly identical canyon photos, just let me know.

Tom

8. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for sharing. I grew up in California, and we took a lot of trips through the national parks in California, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. (and a bit in Canada)--classic family road trips in the station wagon. Our western states are truly something to write home about!

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Long thread, I feel like taking a nap now ;-)

Very enjoyable! Thanks for taking the time to post.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. This was true yesterday. But the photos you posted after Evan's comments appear normal.

Also yesterday and before, whenever I closed a photo view, PC would take me back to the top of the page. But no more. I'm guessing someone told Danny and he fixed both bugs. The pics you posted earlier still scale wrong, but the newer ones don't.

I'll try to remember that. :D Actually, I've read about people who rappelled off the end of their rope and died. :( Not being a climber, I'd have thought they'd see, before they started down, that the rope did not reach the ground.

No need. It'll fall of its own accord. And I wouldn't want to be too close when it happens.

Nobody ever accused me of being sane. Thanks for those. Quite a trip!

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great photos!
    So, how did you keep the Prius so clean?

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks.

The photos are misleading. Our black Prius was so dusty that it looked like a magnetic gray model. For some unknown reason, the dust doesn't really show up in the photos.

We carried a roll of paper towel and a spray bottle of windshield cleaner. I figured if we were going to drive through the great outdoors, would should at least get a glimpse of it. The cleaner proved to be a good idea.

Tom

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bout time you got back, running off like that isn't really acceptable.

Seriously though it is good to have you back on PC. Love the photos and account of your absence in the mountains. That really is a beautiful part of the world.

regarding sailing at altitude, another interesting aspect is the wind at altitude has less energy at a given wind speed due to lower air density. Add that to the higher SG of the salt water in the lakes, the low temperatures and low humidity then add in the fickle nature of the wind and sailing on inland waters can be an adventure. I like sailing on dry lake beds, like Lake Giles and Lake Gairdner in outback South Australia. Not at altitude but fickle winds, hot and dry.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I discussed the lower density of the air with my wife while we were at the Great Salt Lake. As usual, she pretended to listen.

The lower SG of fresh water where we sail makes boats sit lower in the water. It's always a surprise for people moving to the Great Lakes from the ocean.

Tom