1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm pretty sure it almost died on us today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Natalie Opsahl, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Natalie Opsahl

Natalie Opsahl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Today when we were driving our normal hour drive there and back when you got to one of the first mini Hills that started slowing down a lot sooner than all the other days I got all the way down to like 52 miles per hour where it normally would get to like 63 then it started going wow wow wow wow wow wow wow the more I would put in the gas the more it would make this noise when I get to the top of the hill and started going down it was okay but then we get to the another big hill and assert doing the same thing we might always where we needed to go went down this really long hill that I was dreading going back up on the way home we were up there for a couple hours just waiting around for a dentist appointment then we turn around and went home on The Long Hill I was worried about it went up it a little bit worse than normal but not as bad as on the way there I'm wondering if the engine is about to say I quit because of the battery being weak for so long and I still driving it I keep oil in it I miss your nice person never low so I don't know I'm afraid to be stranded on the side of the road and I would like to ask everybody already where'd you get those sales for fifty bucks because I looked and looked and I seen some on Amazon for 25 to 30 but they all have really bad reviews so I don't trust buying them because if I got the thing taken apart and put cells in it there were no good I wouldn't be able to put it back together with the cells it had I don't think anyway I dread taking apart for something that's not even going to fix it

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Natalie,
    I can easily supply you with modules that are guaranteed to be good. I even guarantee them for 12 months. The real question you have to ask yourself, and be honest with yourself, is: Are you confident in your ability to rebuild a hybrid battery? I've seen many batteries "rebuilt" by inexperienced DIYers that were some of the scariest things I've ever seen. I have no idea how or why they worked or why they didn't catch on fire.

rebuilding an HV battery isn't super complicated, but it's also not just swapping batteries in a flashlight.

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what you're hearing, but you never want to climb a step hill to the point of draining the battery to 1-2 bars, best to pull over and force charge the HV battery before continuing up a long hill. Would force charging be a good idea for your failing pack, unsure and it may depend on the HV battery pack condition.

I've heard that pushing/forcing/commanding a vehicle (curious if this only applies to the gen2 platform) to climb a long hill when the HV battery SOC is low can potentially cause transmission issues or complete failure, and maybe this is the sound you were experiencing.

If I had to choose between pulling over to force charge a known failing battery so I could continue my journey up a long hill, or continue to push forward on the gas pedal and potentially blow up a transmission.. I would, and have pulled over to force charge for a few bars, but my battery may have been in a better state of health.

Since my reply also mentions transmission health, when was the Toyota WS fluid in the transmission last replaced?

4. Natalie Opsahl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Going over are you kidding when were sitting idle it discharges the battery it doesn't charge it that would do me absolutely no good everyday the battery has been draining to one bar or below since we got the car we have to climb of Longhill to get out of town so it has been doing it every day repetitively for a year. I wish it was as simple as pulling over!

5. Natalie Opsahl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am interested. But do you have a website or something? Has anyone else on here got them from you?

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not kidding, "force charging" is a real thing, use the search feature and learn all about it. Is it safe to force charge a failing battery, unknown.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But do you have a website or something?

I do not have a website for this hobby of mine. I'm busy enough with my real job and other side gigs that I wouldn't be able to deal with the volume which would probably come my way. For the most part, I prefer to pick and choose when to make myself and my batteries available. I'm happy to help forum members whenever needed.

Has anyone else on here got them from you?

Hmmm....I've built, travelled and installed HV batteries for about 2 dozen other forum members I guess. I limit my installations to an area that's essentially within 4 hours drive time of Columbia, SC. That would include Raleigh, NC / Knoxville, TN / Jacksonville, FL / Atlanta, GA and anywhere between. As for individual modules? I've shipped them all over the country.

It's not my real job, it's more of a hobby/side gig for me. Gen 2 batteries are my specialty. I build them using module sets from very late model wrecks (typically 2016 and newer) and use only new cables and wiring harnesses purchased from Toyota. Obviously, that means I replace the entire set of 28 older modules, whether they're good or bad. It gives me quite an inventory of used modules. They all get thoroughly tested and made available for those who choose to DIY their own batteries, and sometimes I use them to build batteries for my own cars for experimenting. (I currently have 5 Gen 2 Prii in my driveway.) I have never provided less than a one year warranty on individual modules and have never had a single one returned. I currently have about 1500 modules in inventory, so I'm able to provide pretty good matches.

SFO likes this.