1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm ready to drink the Prius Koolaid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by NicoleS, Sep 24, 2013.

1. NicoleS

NicoleS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi! I'm Nicole and I'm ready to drink the Prius Koolaid. :) I want to know what factors most impact the longevity of a Prius:

A Gen III 2010 Prius IV seems to hit our family's sweet spot in terms of budget, fuel economy, and creature comforts. I found two vehicles that meet our needs:
    Exhibit A: 2010 Prius IV, 23K miles, less creature comforts, about $20,000
    Exhibit B: 2010 Prius IV, 33K miles, more creature comforts, about $21,000

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee (bought new) which has 210,000 miles on it. Don't even get me started on my gas budget, though otherwise it's been a stellar vehicle (I'm one of the lucky ones). I drive about 22K miles per year, mostly interstate/highway driving. After reading a number of threads, it seems that a "10 year shelf life" seems to be more important over the life of the Prius than the mileage. It seems like, given my driving habits, it would be reasonable to expect either of the above vehicles to make it to 210K miles over a 10(ish) year period. The bottom line is that I favor car B because of the creature comforts (I spend a lot of time on the road and appreciate them), and my husband favors car A because of the lower mileage. Will 10,000 miles make a real difference in the life of the car? Any other apples-to-apples comparisons we should examine to help us make a decision? I'm in this for the long haul...

Thank you!

Burna J likes this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All else being equal, 10k miles is nothing to a Prius.
    Those are attractive prices you found.

NicoleS likes this.
  3. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Price 2013 while they're on clearance sales...monthly payment with new car may offset a couple thousand difference and you'd gain 20,000 miles and refinements as well as new warranty.

spiderman and NicoleS like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    22000 miles per year is good argument for Prius...what state are you living in?

NicoleS likes this.
  5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming both cars are equally maintained and in similar condition, I would go with option B as it sounds like you prefer the comforts of that car. With you driving 22K miles per year and intend to drive the car for 200K miles, the 10K additional miles are fairly insignificant.

I'm not sure the differences as they are both a level four, can you elaborate so we can add to the real life value of those.

NicoleS likes this.
  6. mellowjd

mellowjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a car that I am planning on holding on to for more than 200k miles I would prefer new. The prices you are considering are not that much lower than a 2013 model two.. you would have less creature comforts but at least you know where the car has been and how it has been treated. You would also have the full 8 year warranty on the battery.

I would recommend used if you were planning on driving it for 40k-75k miles and then passing it on to the next owner.

My last car I went with the more features/higher mileage compromise and it wasn't that bad of deal but my priorities have changed for my Prius purchase.

NicoleS likes this.
  7. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had pretty much the same logic and went with a new model Two as I ended up buying one close to/below what used 2010-11's were going for at the time. I would have preferred used with depreciation already taking its hit, but the delta wasn't enough to go that route. It seems to me that used Toyota & Honda's don't really show a big delta to the new ones until about 5 years or so. Saving a few thousand to me hasn't been worth it considering I get a car with known history, a warranty and upgrades over the introduction model years.

NicoleS likes this.
  8. NicoleS

NicoleS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    - It seems like the consensus is that Car A vs B -- all things considered being equal -- should be about the same in the long run.
    - I live in South Carolina.
    - I have 2 small kids and spent a good bit of time commuting so for the long haul I'd like a minimum of a Prius 3.

Meanwhile, something unexpected just happened: On my drive in to work, our local Toyota dealer called me with a better price on a 2013 Prius 3 that we considered a few weeks ago but turned down because the price wasn't where we wanted it to be ($24,500). I think they're now offering us $23K out the door though I need to follow up -- it was hard to hear him on my commute. I'm not sure we can go with a used vehicle if the new one is closer to our desired price point, even with my preferred creature comforts (the only loss by going with the 2013 is leather; model 3 comes with Nav).

Is this a no brainer?

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the new car idea. Since SC like VA is not CARB you have 100,000 battery warranty. Prius is great family car with 45-50 MPG, so you are perfect case really.

NicoleS likes this.
  10. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The 2010 came out in Spring 2009 so the 2013 could be 4 years newer rather than the obvious 3.

I don't think that leather is important but check for differences in seat adjustability. This can be important for some people.

NicoleS likes this.
  11. loansum

loansum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I drive a 2010 Prius V (model 5). It has nearly 70K mikes on it. Last year I drove 26,033 miles using 564 gallons of regular unleaded gas (recommended). Bench marking against my Acura MDX , I saved $3,435. Just as important to me, I spent less time in gas stations. No doubt your big car will be more comfortable than a Prius; so, go for the one with more creature comforts.

NicoleS likes this.
  12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can get a brand new 2013 Three for just $2K over a (possibly) 4 yo Four... Jump on it!
    In just 99 days it will be 2014- 2009 was a long time ago...
    Don't even think about it... jump on it!

snead_c, NicoleS and mrstop like this.
  13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1) It's up to you ultimately since none of us will be driving your car for your commute or with your kids.
    2) My wife and I went in to buy her a used car many years ago but ended up with a new one thanks to rebates and incentives. Yeah, that was a no-brainer.
    3) Great job walking away from the dealership. When it's time for them to move inventory, they'll look you up.

Also, welcome to Priuschat. Post pictures when you decide.

NicoleS likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As with any used car purchase, I'd have both vehicles, or whichever vehicle I chose, checked out as thoroughly as possible.

This would mean I'd want the prerequisite "Car Fax" on the vehicle. I'd want a pre-purchase inspection done at a trusted dealership.

But I agree with those saying 10,000 miles difference between two Prius- both Prius IV's...wouldn't be a deciding factor to me. If I liked the one, with more creature comforts, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it above the other, if it checked out on all other fronts. With years of ownership, 10,000 miles just kind of blends in.

I mean, if you are going to have some future "hypothetical" as of yet unforeseen problem, does it really matter whether it happens at 120,000 miles or 130,000 miles?

And getting a vehicle that is only 10,000 miles "younger" really gives you no future guarantee of better reliability or longevity. That's not a big enough gap in mileage for me to put much weight with.

15. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, no brainer...

16. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think those prices are crazy high. I got a NEW 2013 Prius 4 with ZERO miles, full warranty, and Toyota Care for $25k in August. I'd go for a 4 rather than a 3 it at all possible. The seats in the 2's and 3's are just awful!!!!!!!!! Softex power/heated seats, Plus the JBL stereo and speakers in the 4 are awesome, not to mention auto on/off headlights, and home link/dimmming rear view mirror.

elementnomore likes this.
  17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For a 2010, neither of those has many miles on them. Given your high annual mileage I don't think either would be a problem.

But look out for deals on a new one. You should be able to get significant discounts. Prius prices jumped significantly when the Yen was strong but now it isn't, so there is now a big profit margin.

Once you have a price on a new one, figure out tax and insurance difference to come up with a TCO difference. You may find that the cost of 3 years more of the car and extra warranty is worth it.

In addition I don't know your location, driving pattern or family situation, but you might also consider looking at new Prius Plug-ins and new and used Volts. There are deals available on both (Relative value depends on your situation).

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you can, buy new...

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Used is a good way to go with a new technology and your prices seem a little high but pick two:
    • good
    • fast
    • cheap
    Expect to:
    1. tire replacement - fortunately, there are excellent choices
    2. lubrication - change the transaxle oil early to 'flush' the early wear material
    Since you're used to utility, consider adding a tow-bar. For heavier loads, you'll want to look at stiffer rear springs or air adjustable.

Also, take a peek at what folks have been doing with adding 1kW inverters.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

20. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I looked at 2010s, package IV and ended up finding a killer deal on a 2012 IV. Being 6'3" the power tilt lower seat is wonderful supporting my legs behind the knees. I wanted the sunroof for cooling and the car had 45,xxx. It runs and looks like new and I'm glad I bought a loaded car used. I could have never afforded a new IV with moonroof. The auto lights, heated seats, 3 door SKS and power seat are wonderful. I plan on driving it for a long time. You will be happy (seeing 50-56mpg in Chicago 37F right now).

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk