1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm Seeing a lot of 3rd Gen Prius Missing Wheelcovers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, May 14, 2011.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The day that the Prius became self-aware was the day it started to jettison those ugly plastic covers. :madgrin:

2. nymjk

nymjk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I suppose if these machines are inevitably to become self-aware, we could do worse than our friends, the Prii.

3. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are regular alloys......I just meant that steelies look better than plastic covers.

4. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My hubcaps came off at the dealer before I left the lot. The salesman was wondering what I was doing until he saw the wheel underneath and said "ahh - they look better withouth the covers! I didn't know they were alloys underneath." You can buy the 4 center caps for about $22 on ebay. Look up center caps - 2010 prius.

5. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I removed mine because they crack circumferentially and shed strips of plastic at speed. I used 1.5" electric junction box knock out caps for $.88 each at Home Depot. I guess if this model is shedding them in traffic (the way the old Chrysler's used to in the late 60's - am I right?) then it is best to remove them before you lose them.

6. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well Mac, not everyone can be as cool as you think you are. Otherwise what would be the point of being cool?

BTW, what is the point of being cool?

My answer: Cool is currency for people who don't have jobs, or spouses. Once you have those, it only needs to be cool to you, not to anyone else. Okay, so I just provided validation for many of the people on PeopleofWalMart, and old dudes rocking mullets... but it applies to you, too, Mac. :cool:

jesseboy661 likes this.
  7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I, for one, welcome our new hybrid overlords.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure what the point of that was or where that came from. I never once mentioned the word "cool" in my original post. :confused:

Anyways since you brought it up, I disagree with your definition of "cool" - you've basically disparaged and generalized those unemployed and unmarried. I think that's pretty boorish.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BTW mmcdonald, Cycledrum asked in his original post, "doesn't it look funky to you? What do you think?", to which I gave my relevant opinion. Your response is odd and irrelevant though.

To reiterrate my stance on the topic, I agree with the OP that it looks funky. I believe the reason it happens is because most owners don't care or notice, which has a lot to do with the demographic of owners. Now is that so hard to swallow? It's just an observation and analysis.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you stop being cool after marriage then I guess that explains the high divorce and adultery rates in the U.S. :rolleyes:

You're alright in my book, mac. Sometimes people forget what it's like to be young and thus can't identify with youthful enthusiasm.

11. nymjk

nymjk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :hail:

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, thanks bro. You get it. You're bomb in my book too.

13. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes.

More to the point what does this stereotyping get you? If you had left it with just the unobservant or the uncaring, your point would be made without resorting to insulting some 'demographic' (a convenient word to avoid responsibility for insulting actual people).

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The point is mac is fairly accurate in his opinion. I live in an area highly populated with Prius and a lot of them are dented, dirty and dinged to hell. Care to take a guess at the average age of the drivers of these cars?

This is an internet forum. If someone cannot handle a post like mac made then they should disconnect their internet service.

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are we afraid to say the word "old"? *gasp*

16. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I pulled all four of mine off, prefer the look without the plastic.

what are y'all calling old? 40+, 50+ 60+ ? ? ? I'm 54, I know I am not young but don't feel old either.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know. With a family, your responsibility becomes more widespread. I did not buy the Prius to be cool, or techy, or to show off to my neighbors. I bought it because it is a car that i need for my purpose. I traded in a rare and special car for me (G-wagen) because its need (off-roading) was not needed anymore...and kept a minivan instead. MMCDONAL is right...after marriage and having kids, what others think is cool is about as useful as Osama's keffiyeh in deflecting a SEALS' double tap!

Macmaster has never really been relevant to topic at hand...just ask him about the difference between econobox vs. economy car!! :D

And, oh yeah, i am 36 years old....

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I'm with a group of my fellow old pharts and some of them start ruminating about how today's young'ns are worthless, I remind them that if they are worthless it's because of poor parenting and their parents learned their parenting skills from our generation.

BTW, my Corvette and Prius still look like new except I have de-uglified the Prius by taking off the wheel covers.

Now get off my lawn.:D

1 person likes this.
  19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol @ accusing me of never being relevant to the topic (when my first 2 posts clearly were), yet your post above has nothing that has to do with missing wheel covers. Nice bro.

So are you guys going to start contributing to this thread with your opinions on missing wheel covers or not?

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because you're still a gearhead at heart. ;)

I' ll be 36 next week and I still get angry when people walk across my lawn or landscaping. I pitty the cat that tries to crap in my bark! lol

Obvious not all older folk neglect their car care. If you're on this forum then you likely don't fit the stereotype so please don't take offense. :)