1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm Seeing a lot of 3rd Gen Prius Missing Wheelcovers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, May 14, 2011.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to an older post (see below), OEM 17" rims weigh 24.25 lbs and OEM 15" rims weigh 16.31 lbs.

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen this thread for some time but never read it until recently. I was wondering what people have to say so much about missing wheel covers. Now I know. :rolleyes:

P.S. - I am thinking of removing the wheel covers.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do it! You've love it. ;)

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! Save my thread. Could you all take it easy and cool off a little please?

I'll weigh in on the 15" 3rd wheel with covers - they would look aight if the covers were actually the alloy wheels itself.

No offense, without the covers, I sometimes use the strange word 'craggy' to describe the look. I mean, theyre OK, but I don't like how there is an obvious groove where the cover would go. I like the spokes out to the edge of the rim. 'Course that would be a wheel that cannot accept a cover, I think.

I liked the 15's with trim ring on the 2nd gen, no probs there.

Not to be an nice person, but here's a nice looking wheel -

050705 194s.JPG

I'ma post pics of a black 3rd gen with wheels straight off a Corolla XRS when I get CD back.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^Honda has nicer stock rims. But stock rims of any car have never impressed me, even BMWs M rims, Mercedes AMG rims, 370z rims, or Audi A8s 12 spokes. Something about it...

I think it's just the fact that it's stock. I appreciate the car (and owner) more when I know they've put some effort into modifying it. Anyone can slap down $100,000 for a nice car with attractive stock rims, but do they have the knowledge, taste, and vision to modify it? (Ok not everyone can slap $100k down but you know what I mean).

6. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes, what a strange bunch of folks here! A thread about 15" Prius Gen III wheels is started by a guy who doesn't even own one, a bunch of folks who own Gen II's hop in with strong opinions, vitriolic arguments ensue, and then the OP posts a photo of a Honda wheel!

Take-home:
    (1) Different people like different "looks" in wheels, often strongly
    (2) Gen III wheel covers have no clear function (at least they don't weigh much)
    (3) Gen III owners can have either of two "looks" for their wheels at almost no cost

Personally I don't care that much what my car's wheels look like. I'm more concerned with mpg and with not having breakage/deterioration issues. I slightly prefer the "without covers" look: despite Toyota's efforts to make them look metallic, the covers look plastic to me. So I'll probably take them off and install center caps.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

You can add an Insight Owner to the madness. ;) But really, you didn't think this thread could last 10 pages only on "missing wheelcovers" now did you? :rockon:

8. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but now I have a Prius Two too. But you're right, Insight-I owners are a crazy bunch.

The funny thing about the Insight-I wheels is that the stock 14" wheels are light (11lbs as I recall [EDIT: 10.5 lbs, I checked]) so you have to spend a lot to get something significantly lighter, plus swapping usually reduces mpg. Or maybe the Insight-I owners who swap wheels aren't the sort that drive efficiently?? How you drive the Insight-I has a HUGE effect on mpg.

I don't find the Insight-I wheels either attractive or ugly, they just ARE. But they're definitely a pain to clean.

I figure the Insight-I will someday be a collector's item, so I made only a few changes to it, mostly reversible. The big change is MIMA, and that could easily be removed (or may in itself be a collector's item!).

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't catch me changing wheels. I believe stock rims increase the value come resale time. If get after markets they end up laying around garage or who knows where. Got too much stuff already, no time for that.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Originally thead was 'hey, I've seen quite a few 3rd gens around, 1 wheel cover knocked off ... that looks like crap ... some assuming by me that they are somehow falling off. Some say Prius is de-uglifying itself, then it turned into .. yo, I took all mine off and it's cool.

I wish for wheel cover only on the II, maybe plain III. Anything above that to get a distinctive bare alloy like most other cars.

11. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think these wheel covers are ugly, as far as wheel covers go. Though yes, compared to actual alloy wheels on other cars, they are not great.

I think wheel covers on black steel wheels are something of a necessity.

The bare Gen III 15" alloys do look spindly and hollow. Toyota must have wanted the weight and ease of manufacturing these particular alloys. But aesthetically they may have wanted a fuller look, and perhaps the aerodynamics helped them achieve the 50 mpg mark. So we have hybrid wheels :)

The bare alloys look odd at a distance. The proportion of the skinny spokes are way off compared to the car. Up close they look better.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    x2. For me to even think about changing rims, it has to be for a damn good REAL purpose. My old BMW M3 rims were forged 19" rims that looked amazing! So, being forged and of decent weight, i had no need to change them. I did change my Mercedes 18" rims to an OEM (but for European market) 16" rims because i took my truck off-road and thus needed more rubber-less alloy and more selection for off-road tires. My Sienna rims look good...and what is the point of changing rims on a minivan! :D The Prius OEM rims that came on mine look amazing IMO...so, why change a good thing?

Rim appearance, purpose, and beauty are in the eye of the beholder (aka owner). I would not call someone who has stock rims as being unknowledgeable, lacking vision, or lacking taste. It is their money...they can do whatever they want with a car.

1 person likes this.
  13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thread summary: from mysteriously missing Prius wheel covers to international Insight ownership; nice! This is almost as good as the thread from the poster who wanted to remove his windshield wipers for improved aerodynamics and MPGs; even nicer!:D

14. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was deported? When? Where am I?

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed some people like to leave things stock (me) and others really go mad with modifications (hey, the aftermarket loves them!).

16. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was hoping to instill foreign intrigue and mystery, so I liberalized your hometown (Essex) and took liberty to infer that the Insight is sold globally. Congratulations on your new global status! ;)

17. Silver NY P3

Silver NY P3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't like the look of wheel covers at all. I ordered center caps on eBay for around $20. or so. Here's the after pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What?
    No Krylon spray paint for the brake calipers? ;)

Nice price for the center caps...
    Not a bad overall upgrade for the $20!!!

Good Luck with the car! :)

19. Lindy

Lindy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just lost my second hubcap a week ago, although I drove back and found it. It's in the back seat. I have never lost a hubcap in my life and now two in a year and a half. Both times I hit a curb slightly and they just flew off. Today I was pulled over next to a curb talking to someone, and he said to pull forward. I literally moved forward a foot and heard a scrape. Hubcap did not come off but is scratched. I've never had so much bad luck. At first I thought it was just me, then wondered if caps are sticking too far out (that doesn't seem to be the case). I think basically they just pop out with the subtlest agitation.

20. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread got me looking at my 2010. I put one hand into a wheel opening and gave a gentle(20lb) tug. The wheel cover popped off, and I went down on my rear.:) LOL.
    I have never seen a wheelcover that came off that easily and it looks like something from the Walmart bargain bin.
    The wheels do look much better than the wheelcovers.
    The wheel covers are now hanging on a peg on the garage wall, and will stay there unless I see a marked difference in MPG without them.