1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm Seeing a lot of 3rd Gen Prius Missing Wheelcovers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, May 14, 2011.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I'm not the only one now. The first time I pulled one of the hubcaps off, I rolled over into the bushes and found the one big rock in there with my rear. I'm glad the neighbors weren't out there or I would have been on Youtube.

2. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I pulled mine off, I was really careful to make sure none of the neighbors were out. Just in case, you know. :D

3. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Now that the wheel covers are off, I found another advantage besides better looks, there was unevenly distributed mud that the garden hose and car wash did not find behind the right rear wheelcover causing wheel imbalance. I live 3 miles off the paved road, so at times I need to run on muddy gravel roads.

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks much better without. I have 3 in very good condition if anyone interested.

5. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Since I was leasing it, I took mine off the first day to save them for return, since they are expensive. I did read Toyota gained the 0.5 mpg to get the EPA 50 MPG combined rating, they are designed for the air flow of the spinning wheel to push out the air and "hide " the wheel well opening, air resistance wise, so I am told. When I purchased off lease, I thought about putting them on again, but I like the bare look with the little hub covers (thought about painting them to match the car) . I will put them back on for resale when I hit 300,000 miles in 10 years like I did with my first hybrid.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just saw another 3rd gen with a missing wheelcover. As we speculated earlier in this thread, the Prius has become self-aware and are now spontaneously rejecting those ugly wheelcovers. :sneaky: