1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm seriously thinking about having my Prius modified to just run on electric!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Dec 3, 2006.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 8 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]359459[/snapback]</div>
    Darell, Oh my gosh PLEASE don't use the word crushing around me. :blink: Nobodys gonna crush my Prius! ;)

Yeah we know you are the King of electric cars! I'm just one of your disciples! :p

I'm not sure if I will go forward with converting my Prius. I might wait for Toyota to offer it. At least unlike most other people I have something ALL ELECTRIC to drive for now! B)

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 8 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]359459[/snapback]</div>
    I like the Costal Tech switch on the c/c stalk. It requires less disassembly of the dashboard and is also invisible. Also, it places the switch right at my right middle finger while driving, so I can operate it without taking my hand off the wheel. This is especially useful because of my most common EV scenario: SOC high but car not yet in stage 4; residential streets with lots of stop signs: I engage EV for the steady-speed legs between stop signs, but disengage it as I pull up to the stop so that the engine runs for the acceleration from the stop. Lots of switch usage makes the c/c stalk location the most convenient place.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Dec 8 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]359600[/snapback]</div>
    What's your all-electric car?

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Dec 6 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]358699[/snapback]</div>
    During today's LIPOG meeting, mrbigh show us his PHEV mod and I asked him the same question. He said from CAN-View, he can see that ICE spin for a short period of time while he was in PHEV mode. When that happens, the oil pumps will operate to provide lubrication. So this isn't a concern.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks pretty slick, from the pictures. Hey Horacio, do you have an
    actual *writeup* on that thing out yet?
    _H*

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Dec 10 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]360172[/snapback]</div>
    Which poster is Horacio, and what "thing" are we waiting for a writeup on???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 10 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]360055[/snapback]</div>
    The high-beam switcn method is also invisible, of course. I honestly can't find the CC stalk when I use it for CC! I'm not a big fan of having it move with the wheel as I've never had any other stalk do that on a car before. I do understand the advantages of the Coastal mod. Really I do. The disadvantages are: It is not free, and you have to deal with Coastal - a company with effectively zero Customer Support. I'm not defending "my" way beyond simply saying it was the best choice for me, and it may be a good choice for others... at least as a starting point.

Tracy has a GEM truck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Dec 8 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]359600[/snapback]</div>
    Typically I expect my subjects to genuflect, but I guess this'll do for now.

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 10 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]360177[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

Guess what other EV King I spoke to via e-mail? B)

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 8 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]359459[/snapback]</div>
    If you make modifications like those at http://privatenrg.com/PriusBattery.htm and then had a failure of the HV battery, inverter, or any major components that make up the hybrid system, do you really think Toyota would cover it under warranty?

If never changed the engine oil or let the oil run out causing the engine to seize, do you think Toyota or any automaker would still honor your engine warranty?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 10 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]360177[/snapback]</div>
    It's exactly where your right middle finger is on the steering wheel. No searching needed. No looking needed. Lift the finger and there it is.

I agree, though, that having it move with the wheel is a point against it.

9. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

I'll bet that guy from Left Coast Conversions in "Who Killed the Electric Car" could set you up. Warranties are for pansies. Go for it!

10. chogan

chogan New Member

Just wanted to chime in and thank Daniel, Hobbit, and Darelldd for the useful descriptions of how to use the EV mode button to improve efficiency. And Cheap for the information on the emissions (engine temp) issue being the main reason for no US EV mode button. My wife wants the EV button, I've resisted it (thinking that it would likely reduce gas mileage). Now that I have my hands around the facts, my wife and I can have an informed conversation about whether or not it'll be a net plus, given the way she intends to drive the car. Thanks.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Dec 12 2006, 05:09 AM) [snapback]360825[/snapback]</div>
    The main reason for the EV button is that it's fun. It won't make a big difference in mpg or emissions one way or another (unless you really abuse it). But it is so cool to be able to tell the car to shut off the ICE. And if you are a techno-geek it is frustrating when traffic conditions prevent the car from going into stage 4 and shutting off the ICE. In that situation, the EV switch is very satisfying.

So in the end, the fact that your wife wants it should be reason enough to let her have it. As long as she doesn't think it's really going to boost her mpg significantly. It's just so cool to be able to hit that switch as you turn into a parking lot, and glide around silently amazing the pedestrians.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Dec 10 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]360273[/snapback]</div>
    There is a huge difference between making a modification, and having something fail because of that modification. What we constantly hear is that doing such and such WILL void the warranty. Nothing doing. Your warranty of a certain part MAY Be voided if that part fails due to something silly that you've done. The warranty will not and can not be voided just by making the modification, as is so often implied.

If you drain your oil, and continue to run the engine... and then expect an engine warranty, well... you shouldn't be allowed to vote. but if you perform a PHEV conversion and then your power steering stops working, you have every right to ask for warranty service on your power steering. If your HV battery suffers (something that we simply have not seen happen) then we're in a grey area for sure. But nothing is automatic. Your warranty is never "instantly voided" by performing some modification to the car. It must be clear that the modification caused the failure in question.

13. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 12 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]360881[/snapback]</div>
    It's a sad indication of my current state of mind that "fun" never occured to me. My wife and I talked and decided that she's unlikely to use the button in a way that would improve MPG. So therefore we wouldn't get it. But now here's this "fun" concept. Yeah, now that you mention it, it might be fun at that. As they say in the cartoons, thanks, I needed that. Just ordered the Coastal Tech kit.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Phew. I came close.

I may be off base here, but I think it is a mistake to view the up and coming battery mods for our Prius in an EV light. And as some worry here, we may not even want to. I think of the mods as moving the battery:ICE ratio to the left. If I end up with a 2:1 grid:gasoline ratio, that would be 150 mpg of gasoline. Nothing to sneeze at as an interim technology step, particularly given current fleet city mpg in the US of around 15 mpg.

Obligatory Darrell comment that *his* mpg is infinite: ________________ ;-)

15. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Dec 15 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]362735[/snapback]</div>
    You correctly qualified your MPG with "gasoline" above. On an earlier thread on this board, somebody objected to the 100+ MPG slogan that CalCars uses to promote the PHEV concept, so I did the arithmetic to figure out what the equivalent fossil-fuel use and dollar cost was, counting in both the gas and electric, based on Virginia Power's rates. Obviously, what you get out of a PHEV mod will depend on your travel patterns and the costs and characteristics of your electricity supplier, but for what it's worth:

I calculated that at US average travel patterns, the Prius with 30 mile PHEV came out equivalent to a gas car getting 85 MPG (on a cost basis), which is exactly what CalCars says in its more serious publications. And 75 MPG (on a carbon produced basis). The lower figure for the carbon impact, I think that's because at Virginia Power's mix -- I don't quite know how to say this right -- carbon per unit of energy purchased is higher than gas. Ah, ... anyway, the dollar reduction from using wall-socket electric was better than the carbon reduction. But both were reduced. Still a worthwhile technology. The estimate assumed 48 MPG in "normal" Prius mode, not the (wow) milege you're getting, and the cost figure is a little out of date as the ratio of gas price to electric KWH price has shifted. For my own travel patterns (almost nothing but short trips), I estimated that I really would get the equivalent of a gas car getting 100 MPG or so, because a larger share of miles would be electric.

And in keeping with the post, Darelldd, of course, gets his from solar panels, so can legitimately claim what he claims. Keep this up and Darellddwon't have to post at all.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Dec 15 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]362735[/snapback]</div>
    exactly!

The two factors involved, are the larger battery actually allows HSD to operate more efficiently, and the PHEV allows adding some grid power into the mix.

I believe the first battery conversions were just adding more battery, without PHEV, and those conversions resulted in significantly better mileage just from the added battery capacity.

Then, with electric energy cheaper than gasoline-derived energy, PHEV allows some of this cheaper energy to be used as well.

The big question is, are the commercial conversions going to become available before Toyota itself introduces PHEV? I've been watching the EDrive Systems web site. It still says:

Here it is the middle of the last month of 2006 and they have not even begun their LA installations, much less "expanding to authorized installers throughout the U.S." I'm starting to wonder whether a real EV may become available before a PHEV Prius conversion.

17. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 12 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]360881[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel,

Thank you again. Odd how that one word ("fun") triggered a complete turnabout for me. Got and installed the Coastal Tech EV mod. My wife loves it. And yeah, it is fun. And I think it will help mileage a bit. A winner all around.