1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm too chicken to use the Parking assist feature. What about you?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mudworm, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can the Parking Assist handle perpendicular parking?

upload_2018-9-15_8-32-9.png

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've tried mine just to see if it works.....it does.......but for the area where I live, it's more of a novelty than a necessity.....(like a LOT of things..:D )

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll be taking this vehicle out today, and then backing it back in there. It's a double-depth parking spot, it's narrow, there's unforgiving pillars on one side, and parked vehicles on the other. You pretty much have to sashay out-and-in to get the mirrors past the pillars. The back up camera on this vehicle has guidelines, was a BIG help. I'm really curious, would the Prius parking assist work here?

upload_2018-9-15_11-24-54.png

IMG_9355.JPG

#24 Mendel Leisk, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Not sure if it works on angled spaces, I've only used it on perpendicular ones. When parking back in,I usually park where there are no other cars or at the end of a row to lessen the chance of someone dinging my car with their door, but if I have to park next to another car I always use the IPA. I've only used the parallel parking IPA a couple of times and both times I had to correct the steering to prevent curbing the wheel. I've used the IPA to leave a space when the cars in front and behind are very close, that works great, although it's not really necessary when you have parking sensors and a reversing camera. FYI the car won't let you hit something, it will brake for you if you don't chicken out.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my only concern about parallel parking in a space too tight for me to do manually is one of the other cars hitting me trying to get out.

plus, i can eyeball how much space they have at the other ends

Mendel Leisk and kithmo like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Supposedly yes, second video here:

Parking Assist | PriusChat

Needs a car on either side, or is lane lines enough?

8. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    MID is the multi-informational display on the center display.

alanclarkeau, krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember someone saying that their wheel got scraped on a curb. Of course that would not happen in perpendicular parking but maybe something to watch out for when parallel parking.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it was pretty much a rhetorical question. I hate it when companies toss out esoteric acronyms without explanation.

Our previous provincial government had a public service ad running on television, regarding what to do if you encounter someone having a heart attack. In the ad they say "call for the AED", and "when the AED arrives". No explanation, as to what the heck they were talking about.

It stands for "Automated External Defibrillator" by the way. If they called it a portable defibrillator I might have had a clue.

What is AED? | Learn What an AED Is | Red Cross

11. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Every time my friend parks my Prius in an angled parking spot he leaves about 6 feet between the bumper and the front of the parking spot. Cars USED TOO have long hoods and trunks. Thank goodness the auto makers have trimmed off all that excess fat. But most drivers are still unsure of clearance in front of and behind the vehicle. That’s where parking assist systems and backup cameras help. Trust the IPA, it works.

The IPA is also useful leaving a parallel spot. Just turn on the blinker and press the IPA button. The car turns the steering wheel for you, even if some moron has boxed you in while you left the car parked!

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

13. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I can attest to the fact that the car will not always prevent you from hitting something when parking. I have not used IPA, but my car has the Intelligent Clearance Sonar and I still managed to put a small ding in the right corner of my front bumper by angling into a wooden planter. When I park behind our house, I always get multiple warnings because I need to fit the car between the back or our house, a retaining wall on one side and the planter around our vegetable garden at the front of the car, while leaving enough room for our older Prius to park alongside the 2017. The planter I hit was high enough that the sensors should have picked it up and stopped the car, but I believe because of the angle of my approach, the sensors were unable to determine how far away I was from the planter. I was not going very fast, but I was shocked when I got out of the car after it had stopped moving, and saw that it had struck the planter. Since this happened several months ago, I am no longer able to trust that the car will always stop before I hit something when parking. When parking in that spot now, I will get out of the car multiple times to check how far away I am from each obstacle.

14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Congratulations, you outsmarted the Intelligent Clearance Sonar by angling into an object, you can't blame the car for that surely, especially after it gave you "multiple warnings" ? :rolleyes:
    I would have reversed in, then the planter would be visible on the reversing camera.

davecook89t likes this.
  15. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, I'm not blaming the car. If I had any other way of positioning the car into that small space, I would try it, but I still prefer putting it there to leaving it parked on an NYC street.:eek:

kithmo likes this.
  16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Can you not move the planter Dave ?

17. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I use the paralell parking assist all the time. It works great, but not all the time. Sometimes it doesn't work right and I have to correct it. Usually it is a small correction and I finish the parking job manually. It is an aid for parking and I would recommend learning how to use it, as it works great for me most of the time.

I have found that it speeds up my parking. I estimated 1/2 the time to park on average.

Remember you are still in control on the vehicle and don't hit anything. Don't go to fast and never rely on the system.

It is an aid and if you practice and use it frequently you will gain skill and confidence using it.

davecook89t likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. It works with parallel parking (both sides of the car) and reverse stall parking.

No. It will park at spot 60. You’ll have to continue manually park into 61.

ICS will give you clearance warnings but you still have to watch out for your mirror

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Unfortunately, it is immobile. Perhaps planter is the wrong description. It is wooden frame a couple of feet high that my brother-in-law built around the garden to make it look nicer.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Color me old, but when teaching my Son how to drive he learned how to park using the Wife's SUV (Mall on Sunday) before he ever got on the road...which he also tested in.