1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imagine a salesperson doing this

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jan 19, 2011.

1. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Geeez I hand fed you a straight line and you run from it! :doh:

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen countless remarks like this the past four years at PC so much it does not offend like it once did, although such statements are not very smart (avoiding the r-word above for now ;) )

I wonder about the motive for such vitriolic posts.

This exactly how you DON'T sell/promote a point of view, but rather how you undermine/demonize one. Since I figure most of you guys are intelligent for most part the motive is not to sell atheism/secularism.

- Bill Russell

Many of the secular/atheist post I see like the "retarded" post I quoted don't look like "sales" but misguided venting, lowering themselves to the Jimmy Swaggart's they despise so much (I've never tried to emulate JS, nor do I subscribe to his type of evangelism). While I've heard so much of science, proof and rationalism, many secular post are emotive instead.

Some seem deluded (picked that word intentionally) that after numerous insults, someone like me will convert to atheism. Then I would endear myself to others wearing my anger management issues on my sleeve, endearing others to adopt my new-found worldview.

That approach is retarded - aren't you better than that?

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, you started the topic, so i'm not really selling anything. I'm also not trying to persuade anyone religous to do anything.

Maybe retarded has a bad connotation for you. to me religion is just irrelevant, in the same way 4x4's are, or the winners of x-factor or. i am just not interested.

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like trying to justify contempt.

I was quiet on religion topics for four years, so I don't consider myself starting something.

You're quote was representive of what's been seen here many times - not singled out.

Many on your side of the argument scream when your beliefs have been dissed yet have no problem disrespecting right back....even mentioned it in my last post and your reply essentially says "I don't care."

Your side seems comfortable displaying behaviorial issues like this while lacking the good sense to stop it and avoiding the credibility hit.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's changed? Why have you decided to become a 'salesperson'?

Is is possible to discuss ideas without getting personal and emotional? Or talking about 'sides' and enemies?

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the many problems with religious belief is that its adherents universally consider their particular belief above contempt; that it must be respected.

It's comical because virtually the entire religious body expresses contempt and disrespect for any and all religious beliefs outside the particular one held, as well as contempt and disrespect for lack of belief in religion.

The vital lesson of science is that NO idea is sacred, above contempt, or deserving of respect "just because". Ideas gain respect by their strength of veracity, which means the most respected ideas are those tested with scientific rigor and found sound.

Even the religious respect the ideas of science; they invoke them at every opportunity (often ignorantly) in vain attempts to "prove" the worth of their ideas. They would not do so if they respected their own biblical authorities more than science.

7. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, maybe contempt is right. I have the same feeling about people who believe in ghosts, auras, crystal skulls and faked moon landings.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please show me the post asking anyone at PC if they know Jesus or other evangelistic post and I'll agree I've done a sales pitch. Find it. That's different from making a defense as I've very openly done.

There is nothing I could ever say as damaging to your point of view than your own, continued hostile replies. And you are oblivious to it.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *I'm* oblivious? OK, forget it. You have your views and I have mine. Done.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In a way, I'm heartened by your response.

I have not directly attacked your views.

I've only asked for the same.

Agreeing to disagree is a good thing and if that is so - thank you.

Peace.

11. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Except, your views do DIRECTLY attack my views. it's in your holy book. you should be stoning me and my family and then watching us burn in hell for our sins. thanks! i'm not making that kind of judgement on you, just saying you are deluded about reality. But that's your choice. if you want to believe in a big ghost in the sky go right ahead. I gain nothing by you agreeing with me or not, but you would gain legitimacy to your cult if i start saying the big ghost is really there. which it's not.

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What if every PC member ranted on every religious and sociopolitical issue they had issues with? Everybody would be a lot unhappier for nothing. I'd feel for the moderators. :(

Along with most Christians, I do not believe in stoning - don't know if that was an honest mistake or a mistatement driven by hatred of my beliefs. And your hatred is transparent by calling a major religion a cult....that implies among other things all of them are zealous and all on same page on the same hymnal - obviously not the case.

....and you start off in that post thinking I not only believe in stoning, but WANT non-believers to rot in Hell? That's so blatantly not the teachings of Jesus and he says that kind of hatred by anybody (including me) will send them to Hell. I believe in a number of bad consequences in addition to Hell, but to suggest I DESIRE them on others is both inaccurate and highly emotive.

Interestingly, some AGW skeptics get bent out of shape on that topic too.