1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iMiEV Woody

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by hill, May 19, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Today I did a 100 mile round trip in the Leaf, so I stopped by Mitsu's corporate office to grab a quick 15 minute nap and a quick charge ... picked up about a 60% re-fill ... that's always cool While there, I just had to snap a shot of the 3M wrapping on an iMiEV parked next to me. If you look close - you'll note there's like a simulated circuit board imprinted into the fake wood grin. What do you think ... yes? ... no? like it? hate it?

[​IMG]

I was going to call this an "in the wild" post ... but being at Mitsu's corporate office ... I could hardly count it.
    :)

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love it. It has the wood effect so loved in America and so derided in the rest of the World BUT the wood grain is actually circuit board effect. Brilliant!

3. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't like fake woodies but that one with the IC printing is cool and it does not look that bad. P/T cruisers ruined woodies for me.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

1 person likes this.
  4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't care for the circuit board effect. Seems tacky. But I like the woody look. Gives the car some character.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're being sarcastic, right? :D

Wood effect is totally dreadful - it isn't wood, never has been and doesn't look like proper wood anyhow. So let's have fun with that look and make the grain look like printed circuitry to reflect that the car is electric.

I don't get people who install fake wood in their car. Real walnut that you get in the likes of a Rolls Royce looks good, but then it costs more than the Prius, but plastic wood effect is just shocking imho.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not at all. I like the look. Maybe in real life it wouldn't look as good as the picture. Who wants to drive a car that looks like every other car? One of the great things about the Xebra was that three wheels made it unique.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    +1 !!
    It's a nutty salute to the days of yesteryear ... or maybe I should say the last century - when people sought to make their transportation stand out. You can spend $5k for unique wheels ... you can go for $5K in shiny paint ... or slap on a couple hundred buck of relatively inexpensive quiche vinyl siding, in memory of days gone by. It reminds me of pink plastic flamingos in a front yard ... kind of dreadful, but kind of ok! It made me smirk when I saw it.
    :p

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I understand and empathize with the desire to individualize/personalize a car.

However, I am ardently, unabashedly, unanimously old-school when it
    comes to modding the exterior of a car.

I can just barely accept vinyl being a vehicle to apply color, like the many
    other i(MIev) OEM graphics. (None of which I find attractive.)

But vinyl being used to simulate wood is just trashy...
    and may be evidence of a serious, deep seated character flaw. :eek:

IIRC, the wood grain cum circuitry vinyl goes for ~$750.
    For less than that you can do something truely unique and genuine, like powder
    coating the rims. You could just paint the wheel covers, but that's a weak kneed,
    halfway measure, lacking conviction.

Here's the "real thing" on my '08, ~$650

[​IMG]

If you look closely, the rear brake lights are black. That's not vinyl tint film.
    They are '05 lights in an '08. No fakyness, the real thing.

For me, that's how it should be done.
    Do it right, or don't do it at all.

9. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if anything it gets you to thinking of what you would do differently. And that is not all bad.