1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Import Duty on Canadian Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by CarOwnerTO, Oct 1, 2022.

1. CarOwnerTO

CarOwnerTO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2016 Prius that I need to import from Canada to the US. The car was bought used from a Toyota dealer in Canada. I've owned it for just over two years. My understanding is that personal vehicles made in Canada or Mexico are not subject to US import duties. But a sticker on my driver side door states that the car was made in Japan (but for the Canadian market - there's a CMVSS label as well).

Does anyone know whether this car would be subject to the 2.5% import duty? Thanks!

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, according to CBP’s “Importing a Motor Vehicle,” unless one of the situations described on that page under “Free Entry” applies.

You’re also likely to need a letter from Toyota Canada, Inc., or Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., confirming that the vehicle meets U.S. safety and emissions standards.

3. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
  4. CarOwnerTO

CarOwnerTO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    For posterity, I wanted to note that I had no difficulty importing this Japan-manufactured 2016 Prius from Canada to the US this week (the J at the beginning of the VIN number confirms that it's Japanese-made).

I called two crossings around Buffalo and both stated I wouldn't have to pay duty, and I wasn't charged when we crossed at the Peace Bridge. I assume that the CBP website language only references the fact that the U.S. charges duty on non-NAFTA vehicles that are purchased abroad and then immediately imported into the US. I was told that vehicles purchased and used abroad before import (like mine) don't owe duty upon import to the US.

Toyota provided my letter of compliance within about a week (compliant except for minor labeling requirements). When we crossed, I brought the certificate of compliance, bill of sale, proof of registration (appeared to be the only one CBP took a copy of), proof of insurance, along with mostly-complete copies of the EPA and NHTSA forms (CBP will fill out their entries and provided copies if you didn't bring your own). The officers only asked to confirm the vehicle had tire pressure monitoring, and otherwise the process took 10-15 minutes before we received the CBP 7501 form, which the DMV will need for registration, and we were on our way!