1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

impound lot 2005 prius won't go into gear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by delray, Apr 25, 2019.

1. delray

delray New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Bought an 05 prius at a local impound lot auction. Had it towed home.

Found a locksmith to make a key ($300 yikes) and charged the 12v battery. The car will turn on but won't go in to forward or reverse. Engine does not start. Codes C2318 low voltage error and C1241 ABS error. I tried to clear them with my bludriver scanner but dash lights did not go away. When i hold the foot brake i can hear it make a rumbling sound somewhere in the car. Not sure what that is.

Any thoughts on why i can't get it in to gear?

2. paul_jameson

paul_jameson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YES, you have to "reprogram" the electronics in the car.
    I had this problem with my 2010 Prius after I removed the battery from the car and recharged it.

A man from the tow company I had called did the following:
    While outside the car, he used my keyfob to lock and unlock the doors. Then he sat in the drivers seat with the Power switch On, and locked and unlock the doors again with the keyfob. THEN THE CAR STARTED!!
    He said that after removing the 12 Volt battery, YOU HAVE TO REPROGRAM THE CAR. This is done by locking and unlocking the doors with the keyfob, he said.
    He said he has done this for "hundreds of" Priuses after the owners called him because they couldn't start their cars.
    Paul Jameson, paul_jameson

3. wnrsm

wnrsm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Techstream + Mini VCI will get you more information on the error codes. It may give you further information on why it won't go into gear.

What's the voltage on the 12V battery when the system is ON? The battery could be too weak to maintain voltage during operation. Look at the ideas in this thread After Collisiona and Body Repair, No Start & Code C2318 | PriusChat

The foot brake rumbling sound may be the ABS pump going bad, likely related to the ABS error. That's a common failure.

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What he said. What’s the voltage with the car off after it sits for at least 20 minutes and what’s the voltage when you try to start it? The engine should start and you should get the ready light. Is the ready light coming on?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

did they flatbed it home?

how many miles on her?

have you ever owned a prius before?