1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Impressed with the Ecopia EP422 tires (50K mile update)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jadziasman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have driven 3000 miles since the Ecopias were installed on my 05 Prius in Nov 12.

So far, I have been impressed by the traction these tires have provided on wet, snow covered, and icy pavement. Dry traction is merely adequate which I find acceptable since I lost my lead foot many years (and moving violations) ago.

I have always had difficulty making it up my driveway with the Prius (and my previous cars too) when I don't completely remove the snow before it turns to a mixture of snow and ice (as it is today). The Ecopias did not slip when I drove slowly up the driveway today. Hoorah!

The traction is excellent. I have yet to see the the stability control warning light with these tires. The Goodyear Comfortreads I had before the Ecopias were just awful - they slipped on snow and ice more often than they gripped. And those of you with stability control know just how annoying it is when you're trying to get moving and can't when the wheels slip.

Now the only question is how long will they last. If I can get three winters out of them, I'll be satisfied.

If you are searching for true all season tires for your car, the Ecopia 422s might just be right for you.

F8L and dorunron like this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now that the tires are broken in, what is your opinion on MPG? Did you see a drop when you first fitted them, and then afterwards saw the MPG improve? Or did you seem to not notice much change whatsoever, either to the good or the bad? Many report drops after changing tires, however other's repost increases in MPG. IIRC, the Ecopia 422 is supposed to be LRR tire, but I need to refer to F8L's list to confirm that.

Thanks for the info on your tires and your post!

Ron

3. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lower mpg? Still too early to tell. I keep track of the Prius fuel consumption with every fill up and I haven't noticed a significant deviation compared with historical data. Winter mpg has varied between 41 to 43 mpg when temps stay below freezing (as it is currently in the District). Average yearly mpg was 47.3 mpg for 2011 and 2012 with the Goodyear tires. Maybe the new tires will yield even better mpg in the next 12 months. That would be a nice bonus.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to hear what you are saying. Did some research before this reply, it does appear that the Ecopia 422 is a LRR tire, so you should be good to go in that aspect.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

What is really a plus is that you did not mention a drop in MPG. There have been several here on this board that have complained when going from the stock Integrity's to other non LRR tires.

Summer will be here soon, then you can make that final decision on the MPG.

The tires you bought are one of two brands that I am considering when I buy new ones, the other one is the Michelin Energy Savers A/S, but I have the feeling I will end up with the Ecopia's because of the price.

Good luck to you and thank you once again for your post and the information you shared.

Ron

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EP422 is one of the most fuel efficient tires were have in North America. The only one that tops it is the Energy Saver A/S. I prefer the Michelin in every aspect except snow. If you deal with snow then the EP422 is the better choice.

Ron, make sure you get the $70 rebate for the Ecopia or the Michelin when you finally get around to buying them. Costco has the rebate on Michelin right now but will switch back to Bridgestone soon.

dorunron likes this.
  6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your posting (and that $70 off at Costco) led to me making the same change on our Prius. We love them! I never realized what cement overshoes the Comfortreads were. Lousy wearing too. The moment I drove the car the difference was hugely apparent. The Ecopias require dramatically less turning effort. I felt this instantly in the parking lot. They're quieter than the Goodyears too. These tires feel like they were made for this car. Hope they wear a lot better than the Comfortreads too.

One question. Costco inflated them to 35# with nitrogen. Is this correct?

7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Costco sets the pressure to the manufacturers specification on the side of the glove box. 35 psi sounds about right.

I'm glad that you were satisfied with your purchase. The Ecopias have rolled 10K miles on my Prius since November. So far so good. AFAIC tell, they are wearing evenly and do not have much wear yet. I'm "still" waiting to see if I can get 55 to 60 mpg with them when driving on side roads on the way to work. It seems possible. But we're still waiting for Spring to come.

The 2012/2013 winter season in District 6 just won't quit. We're predicted to get an inch of snow tonight.

So once again the old adage applies - there are really only two seasons, winter and road construction, sigh.

8. tonakis

tonakis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the Ecopias EP422s! First thing I noticed was the ride quality - it improved a great deal, even with 42 PSI in the tires. There is no noise also. I have about 2000 miles on them. Hopefully I can a lot of miles on them. Still have not seen visible mpg increase, but this is partially because the car has the Hymotion pack installed and my mpg varies depending on how often I can recharge. Bought them in the beginning of March 2013 off of TireRack, around $380 with shipping, my mechanic installed and balanced for $40. Happy camper :)

9. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 8,000 miles on these tires and they work great. I never noticed any decrease in mpgs since I got them. Interested in what tire pressure others are running on them. I am doing 44/42

10. tonakis

tonakis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same PSI here

Samsung Galaxy S III

Silver bullit likes this.
  11. woodenpaddler

woodenpaddler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got Ecopias on my 08 Prius touring last week. They do ride nice and seem to grip well though no snow lately to test in. They do let the car float or sway more though especially with a quick lane change at high speed or high cross winds. I compromised on handling to see if I could maximize mpg. So far mileage after a couple tanks is same as before with the old Bridgestone Insigia SE 200's, averaging 41-42 mpg.

Would a higher tire pressure help with handling or mpg? I care more about those than a soft ride. I'll bet the tire place just used the door sticker pressures.

12. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also looking to get these tires for a 2009 Touring. Glad to hear about the reviews. In my neck of the woods they are asking $502 installed at Costco with $70 coupon.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have the Ecopias, however it is my understanding that the tires are a good LRR tire.

You asked about air pressure. If the tires are set at the placard settings, most here on PC consider that to be the minimum pressure that Toyota recommends for comfort. With that said, if you are interested in higher MPG and would be comfortable with a harsher ride you should consider raising the pressure of the tires. As long as you do not exceed the maximum pressure that is shown on the tire's sidewall, you should be Ok. Several here including myself recommend 42 front and 40 rear. It is best to set the pressure when the tires are cold. If you find the ride is too harsh, adjust the pressure lower until you are comfortable with the ride.

Our Prius is a non touring model, unlike yours. However the information that I shared seems to be valid for both the touring and the non touring model based on what I have observed here on PC.

I hope this helps you in your quest for better mileage.

14. scotty80

scotty80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my Ecopia 422's on my 2005, $369 out the door at Costco here in Wisconsin.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  15. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have over 18,000 miles on my Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 195/55/16 tires - still very happy. My average is 52.53 MPG with the new tires - versus 50.03 with the originals.

16. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Love the Ecopias!

17. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Obvious corporate shill is....obvious? :p

18. Jimmyg41

Jimmyg41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went last Saturday to buy the Ecopias and the Tire Center Rep at Costco pushed hard to sway me against the purchase claiming that the Prius was too heavy for the tire and they were seeing poor performance from the tire and very early wear. I read a bunch of positive reviews here and purchased them yesterday regardless of their (Costco's) negative feedback. When I was leaving the tire guy sarcastically said "good luck". They did try to push me into a tire that was about $30 more expensive per tire.

19. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tire guy must have just been promoted from floor sweeping. Don't ever trust him.

Jimmyg41 likes this.
  20. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was not pleased with the attitude of a guy at the desk at the Costco near my work when I went in for my second tire rotation. I almost asked to see a store manager but decided to give the guy a break. Costco pays better than Sams Club but not by much. If I continue to get lip from these guys, I will voice my dissatisfaction to the department manager. Why Costco tire employees are so rude I have no idea.

The people at Discount Tire have always been professional and courteous. I might just return there.

Jimmyg41 likes this.