1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Impressions after a Sierra trip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by macman408, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^I'm loving the pic, haha! Good to know. Do you have any special tires? I usually buy mine from Costco and I may have to replace mine in the next year or so.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nothing in particular. We took the Atwell-Hockett trail to Hockett Meadows. There were a few day hikers on the first couple miles of that trail. There's a decent amount of up and down on any trail in the area though, and not really any suitable loops - everything is an out-and-back trail until you're going much, much further. That trail does save you a few miles of driving on the crummy road, too.

Ask a park ranger; they're helpful and friendly. When I was planning my trip, I called the wilderness office and the ranger stations more than once to get a good idea of what I should be prepared for. Not really necessary for a day hike, but they're just as helpful in person as they are over the phone... :)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the worst setup at the time. I was running my 17" Centerline wheels with balding Kumho performance tires. lol

I prefer the Nokian i3 or Yokohama db Super E-Spec tires for normal driving.

4. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, Macman403 and F8L! I'll definitely look into the suggestions you made and if I ever make it somewhere rugged with my own little "Beast" (the name one of my students gave to my car) then I'll post some pics :) For now I'm thinking of seeing the Bristlecone Pine forest in the White Mountains, but I've yet to decide...

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's totally worth it. The road to Schulman Grove is paved so it is an easy trip. If you decide to head up to the Patriarch Grove I recommend making sure your spare tire is aired up and maybe bringing a can of fix-a-flat just in case; the road is easily traversed but not paved and people often get flats. We helped rescue a PT Cruiser with a flat last time I was up there. :)

6. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice, thanks so much! I'd read about the road being paved up to Schulman Grove and was thinking of hiking the rest. It should be interesting!

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take pics!!! :)

Remember to sit down next to one of those old trees and think about our human history and how much of it has passed since that tree sprouted from its seed. Even the rock and soil that they grow on is amazing just for the simple fact it used to lie under a warm sea.

8. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know exactly where you're coming from. It's similar to what I get whenever I visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

When you take your Prius onto dirt roads with steep grades, do you drive in any special modes, like B or Power? Or, do you just let the computer figure things out and drive in normal mode?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In your 2010 you should be fine. My 2005 has the super sensitive power kill feature that kills power when the ECU senses wheel slip. It has nearly left me stranded on the wrong side of a hill and in an icy parking lot. The 2006+ models fixed most of this problem. I suggest you avoid very steep hills that have loose gravel or ice. Other than that you should be fine. The 2010 is much better about controlling wheelspin and not killing power. :)

10. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good times! I can't wait to truly break in my little Beast, either this weekend or sometime before school starts again in late fall. Thanks for your tips.

11. data

data Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Macman408;

I drove my 2012 Prius out west in June. Drove through 6 national parks and went from
    sea level to 10,000 ft. Drove through wind and 109 degree temps, the trip was 7112 miles.
    We averaged 50.8 calculated MPG !
    Data