1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improve performance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tariq87, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Tariq87

Tariq87 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What else can i do to improve performance rather than change the oil and clean air filter and clean erg valve and clean hybrid battery fan and put new spark plugs ?

And please help needed with the picture.. 1472983425544.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Take the pipe you have marked as cleaned off, then remove the 2 bolts that are holding the egr valve onto the cooler off.

Did you find a lot of deposits in the egr pipe you cleaned and that's why you want to investigate the egr valve? Or is it throwing a code?

3. Tariq87

Tariq87 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes i found alot of deposits in the pipe ..that's why i want to check thr valve..
    I already search the youtube for a such video but with no any good results..
    If there is any video it will help

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The attached document shows removal and install of the EGR valve and associated cooler component. Also attached is a pdf for removal of wiper motors and windshield cowl, necessary for cooler access.

I think if you are able to remove the EGR valve for cleaning, you can then look into the opening of the cooler, judge if you want to remove and clean, or just replace, if it's hopelessly clogged.

There's also a good video on the wiper motor and cowl removal procedure, in the spark plug video by @NutzAboutBolts , pinned in the 3rd gen maintenance sub-forum.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would clean further downstream of the egr pipe to improve performance. The inlets from the egr into the intake manifold have been known to clog. If you are noticing hesitation, rough idle or poor transition between engines, I would look to clean the intake manifold, particularly the small inlet ports. While doing that, you can clean the MAF sensor, throttle body and potentially the pcv valve.

Good luck(y).

Mendel Leisk and Tariq87 like this.
  6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Tariq!
    If you clean the throttle body of the Prius, when you look down inside the throttle body, you will see oil. That is normal. If you remove this oil, it will just come back. It is because the engine's Atkinson cycle design keeps the intake valves open during part of the compression stroke, which will blow some oil back into the intake manifold, which you will see if you look past the throttle body butterfly valve.
    I am telling you because, when I saw this oil, I was really worried, but it turns out, it is normal with this kind of engine.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Basically the EGR circuit can be royally clogged all the way from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold, lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is have done the whole circuit and it can get clogged with carbon deposits. I bought a spare egr valve and cooler from the salvage yard and it worked out well. IMO, the ports on the intake manifold from the egr are a major issue that could lead to the cylinder misfire (assuming you have replaced the plugs, have the correct gap, and do not have a coil malfunction).

A good pipe cleaner or small nylon brush gets those small inlets clean and airflow back. As @Rebound said, the Atkinson engine naturally seeps oil into the intake and the egr inlets are on the bottom of the manifold. So guess where a place to collect would be before it gets to the throttle body:confused:.

Keep us posted;)!

Mendel Leisk likes this.