1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improved Solatec Photovoltaic Kit (Solar Panels)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lazysheep, May 22, 2008.

1. Aviator_Guy

Aviator_Guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for finding their website!! I now have it bookmarked and passing it along to my friends!!

:boxing:

2. Sleplis

Sleplis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four

3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The increased air resistance of the panels will likely eat more gasoline than anything saved by 24 watts of electricity. 24 watts isn't even enough to light-up my dining room. A better location for solar panels is the top of a house, so it can absorb some of the heat to keep the living space cooler (plus some free electricity).

4. Silver Pine Mica

Silver Pine Mica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These days a 30w solar panel costs ~80$. A 12v battery charge controller costs$40. For someone with a 10 minute commute too short to keep the 12v battery topped off this might be more helpful than raw wattage would imply. The panel could be kept in the trunk under the window to avoid adding air resistance. I am thinking of implementing this as my wife's prius drives short trips and only gets about 39 mpg. Is a 14.8v charge safe for the inverter with a 1.5 amp current attached to the battery terminal? I dont have outside outlets so a battery tender plugin is not practical.