1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improvements Gen 2 compared to now

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Joe Dornan, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Joe Dornan

Joe Dornan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is someone able to explain to me if any improvements to the anti-skid system were made between Gen 2 and now?
    I own a 2006, and am in the market for a new car. There was never any question in my mind that I was going back to the Prius. However, there is an issue with the Gen 2 Prius which places me in dangerous positions far too often and I would like to confirm this has been resolved before I buy a new one.
    I live in a city built on a mountain, where snow is abundant. I work on one side of the mountain and live on the other so my commute is a short but steep uphill/downhill. Too many snowy days, I barely make it up the mountain. The anti-skidding mechanism kicks in far too easily and I am unable to get any traction. I've been stuck in the middle of intersections and sometimes have to drive quite a long way to make my commute flat.
    I read (here, I believe) that there was indeed a problem, something due to the need to limit torque, that does indeed make the wheels lock too fast, and that this cannot be disabled without danger to the car. I've looked again and am unable to find the thread.
    Anyway, my point is: has Toyota made any improvements to the car that can reassure me that a newer model will not share the problems of my older one? The car salesmen don't even come close to understanding the problem, never mind explaining it.
    thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i'm pretty sure there is now a switch to shut off traction control.

Joe Dornan likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Gen 2 traction control was very on/off. It just about quit powering the car at all in low traction scenarios.

The Gen 3 version is much better and quite helpful. I have not driven a Gen 4, hopefully they will also chime in, but starting with the 2011, it is much better. (2010 was initially poor, but there was a software update)

Investing in real snow tires will even help your Gen2. If you don't lose traction, then tractiona control is not needed.

If you buy a new Prius, add the cost of real snow tires.

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 | 195/65R15

I started at tirerack.ca but it decided I was US, maybe it will switch back for you.

#3 JimboPalmer, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. Joe Dornan

Joe Dornan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'm starting to feel that going 4-wheel drive SUV, my first instinct after tonight's drive, is an overreaction. I just got new snow tires, I could upgrade with the new car.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. HUGE improvement over the 2nd Gen.

Yes I agree the 2nd Gen was very sensitive. Fortunately the only time I experienced a full cut of power was when I was pulling out from the curb (and not a more dangerous situation like a left turn).

For the 3rd generation, the tires were allowed to spin.

Here's some videos

On the 4th generation, there is a TRAC OFF button that allows you to turn off traction control.

Here are some videos from a PC member (granted, it's doesn't look too hilly)

wfolta and Joe Dornan like this.
  6. Joe Dornan

Joe Dornan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the videos are very helpful, thank you.

RCO likes this.