1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improving visibility of the car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Rhino, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do a lot of commuting in the pitch darkness of the countryside - especially in the winter.

Is there a tasteful way to add some running lights?

I am also thinking about some pinstriping from reflective tape. I seen these things on sale on the web. I figure I need to buy it and get some local body shop to put it on.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments on my two thoughts above is appreciated.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the LED taillights were bright enough?? Are you talking about people seeing you or you seeing people?

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about a LED Underbody Light Kit? Side turn signals is another attention getter.

1 person likes this.
  4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  5. elmo2274

elmo2274 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got some of these SGL3MC- LIGHTSTRIKE 3 MILLION COLOR UNDERCAR KIT

They work great and you can set them to whatever color your mood is. Just make sure they are legal as some states have restrictions on driving with them on and on certain colors. I found out the hard way with my last car that blue was illegal.

steady blue neon's (not blinking) under a mustang convertible apparently means you're impersonating a cop.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I meant people seeing me. On the highway without lights, sometimes a car crossing the road is just two spots of lights. I want to make sure when I am crossing the road, the other people see me clearly.

Thanks

7. Rayderr

Rayderr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Isn't that what the headlights on their cars are for?

1 person likes this.
  8. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know. Thanks. I just think it is safer with additional reflectors.

It is not a matter of how well you can see, it is how well the driver of the other car can see. On a dark and rainly night, sometimes visibility is not sufficient for the other guy. Maybe I am being paranoid. The other driver may have bad eyesight.

FYI. It is pitch black where I live, you can see all the stars in the sky and there are no lights on the road.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yellow foglights? You can have them bright but they're not as blinding because of the yellow spectrum. I found bright yellow foglights easier on my eyes than a bright white foglight when they're mounted on an oncoming vehicle.

Also reflectors along the side of the car won't help unless there's moonlight. I guess you do need lights like those found on semis.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rayderr

Rayderr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The pitch black actually works to your favor. Your existing lights will stand out more. They won't get lost in any light pollution.

If you don't mind adding a little color to your car, you can always go for a reflective tape stripe like what many police cruisers have on the side. 3M Scotchliteâ„¢ Reflective Striping

1 person likes this.
  11. joeszabo

joeszabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Rhino,
    I tend to agree with your concerns about visibility for the Prius, after all it’s a relatively small car and I’m not sure most drivers key in on a small car with a lower profile as quickly as they should. I spend way too much time on the road in the DC Virginia area and am continually amazed at how well most people drive at highway speed in the dark while they are asleep.
    I’ve installed running lights (on all the time) where the fog lights would normally be (I have a pkg 2 so it made sense to put on aftermarkets) and I’ve installed reflective pinstripe as well. I installed it myself and wrapped it around the back of the car too. So I recommend that you consider installing reflective pinstripe as well. I'll work to post a picture soon.

A side rant of mine: I like the look of most silver or grey colored cars but will not buy one as I suspect that they may appear invisible to most people as it’s a grey car on a grey road.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In my area the state police like to buy grey so they can lurk (unseen) better.