1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 14 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]423404[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect "offensiveness" is in the ear of the hearer, to paraphrase the old bromide about beauty.

I wouldn't suggest widespread censorship, but we can have limited censorship for public conveyances and public airwaves. Let them go to subscription radio to spew their hatred, offensive songs and swear words. That way I won't be assaulted by them while in a store or on a bus.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 14 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]423482[/snapback]</div>
    How do you define offensive words? And do you extend that to political speech?

There are currently 7 or 9 words that cannot be said on the public airwaves - what new ones do you want to add to it? And would these words be applicable to all groups or do you want to extend rights of usage of certain words to certain groups?

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Since the folks in FHOP like polls so much, here's one about Imus that you can take at TheNation.com

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 16 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]423938[/snapback]</div>
    Imus will be back and hopefully hunting for a little payback.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 16 2007, 06:56 AM) [snapback]423909[/snapback]</div>
    Ugh.

Not everything is controlled by the law. In fact, most of the 'higher functions' of a society (the multitude of public interactions which we engage in every day) are not and CANNOT be regulated in the manner which you suggest. These are social graces, which should have nothing to do with law.

Your dogged (no pun intended) adherence to the idea that everything...every behaviour...must be legislated into equality is bringing social enlightenment and the acceptance of the importance of personal responsibility to a grinding halt.

How about this: if you can't cover so many feet per minute walking, you MUST use a wheelchair to keep from delaying the rest of us, in our cars, who are waiting for you to cross the street...?

I mean, surely we can't let people flaunt their rights as pedestrians by walking too slowly...right?

This infringes on the rights of motorists, whose road-use taxes, after all, probably paid to have that crosswalk painted in the first place...

Is this the world you'd like us to live in? That *is* what you're suggesting.

-------

Another thing: For most people, it's not really the law, or more specifically, the fear of violating it, which keeps us in line...I, speaking personally now, just try to be reasonably polite and live a decent life, and I suspect that lots of folks feel the same way.

You'll never legislate this, no matter how hard you try...and deep down, I suspect that you know as much.

That's why I've got such a problem with so much of what you say in this regard. Because it often appears that, in actuality, you thrive on the dischord which your falsely constructive and illusory ideas suggest...and that you further them with the perpetuation of turmoil as your goal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 16 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]424077[/snapback]</div>
    When you're a bullet, everything is a target.

When you're violent, everthing is framed as a confrontation.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 16 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]424122[/snapback]</div>

You have completely lost me. Do you support Imus being fired? And if so why?

I find the double standard that is currently in place to be disgusting. Is it ok for a black person to say cracker - is that not the equivalent of the "n-word"? Is their a double standard as to what white people can and cannot say, and is it ok for black people to say things that white people are not "allowed" to say.

I believe even Prada is raising this issue of American censorship with his firing - hows that for an upside down world?

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 17 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]424535[/snapback]</div>
    I think you meant Pravda- Prada is a fashion designer. :)

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 17 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]424535[/snapback]</div>
    Why does everything have to boil down to that for you? it's always "do you believe in _____? why?" it's like a broken record.

What Pinto Girl had to say was a direct response to what you were saying, and really didn't have anything to do directly with the case.

Listen... comprehend... respond. might i suggest you're missing one of those steps?

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 16 2007, 03:56 AM) [snapback]423909[/snapback]</div>
    You don't have to make a list. The 7 or 9 words really came about because of a comedian's routine; they weren't listed before that, and they are not the only words you cannot say. The FCC can fine you for any offensive speech, not just those words, and does fine shock jocks who speak about excrement (without using the "s-word") and sexual functions in a manner intended to tittilate. In contrast, Bono's use of the f-word on live TV was deemed acceptable because it wasn't used in a sexual manner, but was a live telecast of a adjective that the broadcasters had no control over (see Snopes.com treatment of this particular issue at http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/f-word.asp) In the past, broadcasters who use the public airwaves largely self-regulated, and it was largely successful, and the FCC rarely had to fine them.

Recently, the FCC fined one of the "CSI" shows for showing an orgy. Now, do we really have to make a list that includes "more than two people and/or animals engaged in sex acts on prime time TV"?

There are alternative channels for these kinds of things, and therefore it is not a restriction on free speech. Adult content has MORE channels to reach the market. By using the public airwaves, the broadcasters agree ... already agree ... to uphold certain standards, and we should enforce those standards. People who want to hear what the DJ's bowel movement looked like that morning can pay for XM Radio.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 17 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]424535[/snapback]</div>
    This is not an issue of relativism.

If you had kids, and one of them acted in a manner you felt was wrong, would you discipline her...?

...or would you look around, see how many other kids are doing something similar (or worse), decide to lower your standards, and let yours join in, too? Probably not.

That's what this is about.

If you feel better justifying your actions in relation to how others are behaving (and then modifying them accordingly), then go ahead and indulge yourself.

Personally, I don't feel that you really believe this...but it's your argument and I'm trying to play along.

As I said, it's time for all of us to return a bit of dignity to the social intercourse of our daily lives. This is our RESPONSIBILITY as citizens. It can lessen the tension we're all feeling due to our differences, and it allows us to listen and hear better.

And this is something which no law will ever achieve.

Perhaps White folks (since you keep bringing this back to race) could set an example, and FIRE HIM...? Wouldn't this be a lovely gesture, to look inward and then do what is right...regardless of ANYTHING ELSE? Wouldn't it prove that maybe we, as the default "ruling class" might actually be worthy of our position?

Fire him. Period.

Are you saying that, if condions continue to get worse, so too should the tone of our daily interactions (since it's all relative, anyway, and of late seems to be taking a decidedly regressive turn)?

Surely you're not, Doctor.

-------

Also, the reality of it is that we as white Americans have done a LOT of things to Black people which we never would have done to ourselves...perhaps it's time for us to suck it up a bit and let the anger (which we played a part in creating ) have a chance to be expressed.

11. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How's that wall feeling against your head, there, Pinto Girl?

:p

12. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 18 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]425554[/snapback]</div>
    So how many blacks alive today were slaves in America? I'm all for helping them out.. I just don't think I've ever seen one.

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ignoring the slavery part, how many blacks alive today had to go through some sort of oppression, segregation, or hatred in their lives? remember, the civil rights movement ended only 40 years ago, and even today there are parts of the country where blacks are looked down on or treated differently than whites.

14. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 19 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]426035[/snapback]</div>
    and vice versa.. the world isn't always a pretty place and there are bad people.. it isn't justification for either group to promote racism or violence.

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There goes freedom of speech...... Take Imus and others like him, Rosie, comedians ect. and Hang them from the gallows in down town SF.... Because in reality we want the FCC to control what we can say or is that only when we find some thing offencive? :rolleyes: (The word Hypocrite all of the sudden comes to mind). <_< :mellow:

I still want what ever Pinto Girls having in the picture looks like some good stuf... ;) :)

16. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Apr 19 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]426049[/snapback]</div>
    LOL I thought the same thing..

17. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]426044[/snapback]</div>
    tsk tsk, desynch don't you know anything?

It's only racism when whites do it...when blacks do it, it's, um, "expressing their anger" as pintogirl and any other lib would tell you. That's why they could justify all the looting that went on after the Rodney King verdict was announced.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DelerPrius @ Apr 19 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]426055[/snapback]</div>
    Dude that avatar is just wicked! I look at it and feel :wacko:

:) :D

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ok, I just HAD to jump into this one!

First off, I don't think IMUS should be fired, nor should he have apologized, to nothing but a racist media hog with an expensive hair doo.

I tend to take a more literal view of the 1st amendment, and as someone else mentioned, just tune into a comedy channel, and you'll find a wealth of racial jokes.

You don't like the humor, don't listen to it. Now, because of this BS, every friggin' bad taste humorist on "FREE" radio is watching what they say. Just the other morning, a pair of low level shock jocks somewhere in FL were biting their tongues talking about the whole nappy headed hoe issue. So, this BS has actually resulted in direct censorship all across the country.

So what he called them nappy headed hoes? I'm sure each and every one of those chicks have been called worse by people far closer to them than some radio personality who looks like he could be the main evil dude in the next Leprechan movie. They're free to call him a stupid drunk MICK too.

This world has gotten sooo sensitive and politically correct is absolutely disgusting. I applaud that small radio station somewhere who says they're going to put the Imus shows back into circulation, including the nappy headed hoe one.

If you're easily offended, turn off the damn radio, turn off the TV, and tune into the damn Disney channel, but don't try and censor my humor because YOU think it's horrible.

Hell, and I don't even like Imus.

:angry:

20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]426044[/snapback]</div>
    Just to clarify - I've come out pretty strongly earlier in the thread against any sort of racism, even the remarks that black rappers make. You should know this. However, i was supporting PintoGirl's statement that we've done some terrible things against minorities in this country against your statement which very clearly implied that the blacks we should be feeling sorry for are all in the past.