1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

On another note, don't know if anyone brought this up yet (too lazy to read 11 pages), but I've been hearing rumors what he did was intentional so he could break out of his contract and sign up with satellite radio...

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It would be nice to see the source on that, Squid... I think it would really put this whole thing into perspective for some of the people here if true.

Right now, people can say stuff like "he didn't mean anything by it" or "it's just his style" or whatever... but if they found out he did it intentionally so he could make more money, i think they might change their tune.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 19 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]426074[/snapback]</div>
    he has been intentionally using the word "ho" for a long time and has referred to his wife as one!

lets see, nbc fires imus for "decency reasons" - yet they air that tape from the VT murderer - what gives? did they ask the families of the victims first - after watching parts of it - i saw NO value in it at all - just morbid fascination. i wonder if any of their stations play rap or their record labels or music labels do?

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 19 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]426082[/snapback]</div>
    Like I said, "rumors".... no source, nothing, just word of mouth from some of my friends in NYC who have their fingers in the media business up there...

of course, time will tell, if he ends up on XM soon....

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]426083[/snapback]</div>
    I have to admit to a rare moment of agreement with Dr. Berman regarding the issue of airing the tape/killer's pictures. Giving public air to this kid's fantasy version of himself -- including what will be the forever iconic image of him holding guns to either side as if he thinks he's in a John Woo film -- frankly seems to be playing into his hand, fulfilling his final wish. Whatever minimal insight the material might give seems to me outweighed by the fact that airing this stuff seems to let the killer win in his twisted version of reality. This stuff should have gone into a vault with law enforcement and not seen the light of day.

Admittedly, given the press interest in him, it may have been difficult or impossible to stop it leaking ... but we did thankfully never see the Steve Irwin death video, so such acts do seem possible.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 19 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]426099[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's for everyone, but I do think it gives some closure to the questions we all have of "who, how, why". When something so completely terrible happens and we have no explaination at all it's difficult to put in order the meaning.

I believe that if people can see the disorganization in this man's mind then maybe we'll have a greater awareness of mental health in general and perhaps be able to influence policy and procedure to directly address those with signs of serious illness...maybe we'll help someone else who would've done this. But without the public exposure and awareness it's difficult to get the momentum to influence those with the power to affect those changes.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 19 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]426099[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 19 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]426107[/snapback]</div>
    Dear Doctor,

Let me offer another suggestion - for my skeptic self is in full glory. Is this not ratings week or is it not soon? Perhaps NBC sees other reasons for airing the killers fantasy tape - in the SAME way they saw other reasons for getting rid of Mr. Imus other than "decency rules" - I am sure you can figure them out for yourself.

My other suggestion, something NBC could have done if it wanted to be considered legitimate in its care and concern for the publics good is put the killer tape on its website - thereby those that wanted to see it could and an ACTIVE effort would have to be made to view it. Putting it on their airwaves was SELF-SERVING and DIRECT evidence about the true duplicity that rules NBC and its directors.

I wonder how sharpton and jackson feel about nbc airing it - were they offended?

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

NBC should have burried that tape.

Get with the feds, local police, secret service, and a representative of the family of each of the victims. Discuss that there is a tape. Show it to this gathering and discuss it no further. It will let all the people that need to know more to know what was going on with that kid who did the damage and deny that kid the publicity and hour of fame he now has.

Airing it will now bring the deaths of dozens more. The next greater wacko is going to see how this kid went out in a blaze of fame and glory and this tragic thing is going to happen again. If they unwisely air that tape, the one after that will be even bigger yet. Way to go NBC, clearly there is no thought for the next tragic death, only a rush to air before any other network that might have also gotten a tape sent to them.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]426120[/snapback]</div>
    Please students, a round of applause for the fine demonstration of the irrational though processes that are displayed in those with paranoid tendencies. :D Do you have scary liberals jumping out from behind every doorway where you live?

Every and any news source, be it NBC, CBS, CNN, BBC, or even your beloved do-no-wrong Fox News would have shown that video. It is the definition of newsworth. I stand my my statement that the overall impact to deliver some sense of closure outweighs the bad/sick publicity side of the tape. Would you that they never showed the world the twin towers coming down?

No idea, couldn't care less...couldn't care less how they feel about anything else for that matter.

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]426120[/snapback]</div>
    Why would they care?

11. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 19 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]426164[/snapback]</div>
    Because they're media attention mongers.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 19 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]426146[/snapback]</div>
    Well, let's start burying bad news from Iraq too if that's the case... Maybe we shouldn't have aired the twin towers getting knocked down, sure fired up the terrorists... I'm sure UBL and gang use stills as wallpaper on their linux laptops...

Maybe we should have blocked Mel Gibson from releasing "The Passion" too...

While I do agree he did get the attention he wanted, as everyone on the planet now knows his name, assigning anything more than 1% blame on this type of "advertising" I don't think it too logical. I would think, in the end, it takes a bit more than that to go out, acquire the weapons, then ACT upon it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]426120[/snapback]</div>
    lol, I think they could boost their popularity significantly, and be taken more seriously, if one, or either of them, had enough nuts to come to the aid of a white man being discriminated against by, preferably, someone black!

crap, I just gave them an idea! lol

13. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 19 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]426107[/snapback]</div>
    I had not considered the closure issue, nor seen much of the materials other than his double-gunned photo at the time of my prior post. I've now seen some excerpted pages (not the videos yet), and to the extent that this material defeats his chosen purpose by inadvertently broadcasting his mental illness (as the pages do), I admit it may have value; if not for that than certainly for closure. Thanks for brining up that point Evan.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]426171[/snapback]</div>
    The irony is that it's the conservatives that give them the attention they want...look how riled up you guys got over the Imus thing....you didn't see any posts from us liberals "rallying 'round 'em". For the most part I think liberals see them for what they are. OTOH, conservatives see them as some sort of symbolic representation of everything they fear of the liberals.

While I suspect there are folks, particularly in the African American population, that give them respect and support the rest of us see them as the loud mouth kids in the back of the class. They might be cheering for my team at the football game, but I'm not going to be hanging out with them during recess.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 19 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]426155[/snapback]</div>
    Irrational thought - are you a psychiatrist now? How is irrational to think that NBC was going after ratings? And you are making assumptions my good doctor - you speaketh for others - oops, you know what they would have done because you are all knowing. My beloved Fox News? You assume again and you know what happens when you assume twice in the same post :lol: of course you do - you are all sensing.

stand by whatever conclusions you want to - they are as wrong as ever. you have now empowered the next lunatic with a automatic weapon to make a mass video production of the killing field he will leave behind - remember that when you watch that one too.

how does the WTC and this compare - JJEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. one is an act of war the other the act of an individual. perhaps clinton could have stopped one of them - is that what your thought was?

and liberals do not jump out from behind doorways where i live - they stay under the rocks and in the shadows where they feel great comfort.

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, when was the last time you knew a news agency not to release video footage like this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]426217[/snapback]</div>
    As for the WTC, that was an act of terror, performed on us by a terrorist organization. War can only be performed by another nation. Both of these, as we've already discussed, were acts of terror.

And Clinton couldn't have stopped them. did you know the French Intelligence services alerted the White house of the threat of hijacking airlines 9 months before 9/11?

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 19 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]426251[/snapback]</div>
    did afghanistan attack us then - you supported invading that sovereign nation, no? war can only be "performed" by another nation???? so tell me, a nuke goes off in manhattan - is that an act of war? if a groupd of people want to destroy you, and they attack you, and they kill your citizens, what is that? an act of charity? do you not respond because it was an act of "terror" and not an act of "war" - your thinking here?

JJEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

how would i know if a news agency did not release video footage if they did not release it? double JJEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

18. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    According to Websters:
    Acts of terror by a terrorist organization not under the direction of a state or nation are not acts of war.

Where do you get that i supported any invasion at any time? stop putting words in my mouth.

If a nuke goes off anywhere, it entirely depends on who sets it off. if a terrorist group steals one and sets it off, it's an act of terror, not war. I fully support going after the terrorists (but please note that that doesn't apply to Iraq, as the terrorists WEREN'T THERE)

You seem to assume things about me that simply aren't true, Berman. You think that, because I'm not willing to abuse labels to try to get peoples blood boiling that i'm not willing to do anything but sit back and watch us be destroyed.

In just about every case, you would know because the footage would be talked about. People would know it existed and was buried somewhere. Take, for example, the croc hunter's death - captured on film. Everyone knew it was on film. No news agency got a hold of it, however. cooler heads closer to him prevailed and destroyed it.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 19 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]426288[/snapback]</div>
    since nations and not terrorists produce nuclear bombs... if one terrorist (say a saudi national or palestinian) gets a hold of a bomb made in Iran lets say for arguments sake, this terrorist takes this bomb to Manhattan and detonates it and kills one million people - what do you do? the terrorist is now vaporized and gone. your move.....

what are you going to do bro - just bury the million americans or the remains of those that can be buried and stop since the bad guy is done too??

20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, try reading the book "The Sum of All Fears". It's about some nuclear scientists that defected from Russia, built a bomb for some madmen, and blew it up in the US. If you pay very close attention to the book, you'll notice that the moronic president almost starts WWIII without knowing all the facts. Once the facts are known, he takes the appropriate action to hunt down the people who were actually responsible.

But by all means berman, use whatever excuses you can find for your trigger happy finger. ignore the fact that instructions for building nuclear weapons have been available on the internet for 15 years. Ignore the fact that other nations facilities aren't as secure as ours. Ignore the fact that there are known quantities of nuclear material unaccounted for, whereabouts unknown.

Ignore these facts all you want. If it comes down to it and you and your conservative buddies pull the trigger on WWIII, we'll know who really hates America, the World, and all of Mankind.