1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Again, missing the point of the argument...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 23 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]428308[/snapback]</div>
    Again, you've avoided the whole point of my post. Why are you afraid of answering the broader questions and philosophies/concepts?

Someone who carefully read what I wrote may have properly interpreted
    as if there was no support that we would go alone...that's certainly what I intended. That said...if we had proof of a Syrian supported terror attack against us and couldn't get any international support at all I suggest our country is, indeed, truely lost. Maybe not immediately, but our country's long-term survival depends upon our international relations...now don't go interpret that as surrendering our values or whatever way you want to twist it, but that if our values begin to fall so far outside of the international standard that even against terrorism we can gain no support that perhaps we need to reexamine our policies around the world with a critical eye.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 23 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]428312[/snapback]</div>
    Not "missing" so much as evading I think.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 23 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]428318[/snapback]</div>
    sorry evan - very busy today.

please make this simple for me...

iran makes a nuke that gets brought over to manhattan and the terrorist(s) detonate it killing themselves and 100,000+ americans. the world is divided about backing any actions against iran who stated for the record that the nuke was stolen from it. what would you do as POTUS?

thanks,
    David

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 23 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]428419[/snapback]</div>
    Again, you're completely evading the point and the response here is not in question from either side of the aisle. If everything were this simple there'd be no dispute about our actions in Iraq.
    Clearly and obviously retaliation and neutralization against Iran would be swift and dramatic by the US, alone if necessary.

Now, mind going back to my post and responding to the point?

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 23 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]428424[/snapback]</div>
    try telling me the point again please
    thanks
    david

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 23 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]428438[/snapback]</div>
    :blink:
    It really would be best if you went back about 10 posts and read through everything so you can get the entire context.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 23 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]428447[/snapback]</div>
    wont have time today my friend, sorry

beating back the hordes :D

8. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I love it... Berman always has time to go on his rants against liberals and evil people and making false claims, but never has the time to post sources or actually read people's responses.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that Bush is about to launch a pre-emptive strike against Imus?

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, i was just reading that!

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 23 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]428483[/snapback]</div>
    why bother, just another case of the left eating its own?

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    is Rosie's "leaving" whatever show she is on related to Imus's firing?

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    get a grip, Berman... They didn't offer her enough money, so she didn't sign the contract. It's as simple as that.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 25 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]429751[/snapback]</div>
    really?

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 25 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]429747[/snapback]</div>
    I'd believe it. Now that we've decided censorship is totally appropriate, and no one marched upon the White House, why stop at Imus?

Did you also hear, some big rap dude is calling for a BAN on three particular words. :rolleyes:

Ball's rolling now....

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]430405[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe...I hope not.
    While I think the use of those words in rap music is a heck of a lot more about saying something forbidden in order to sell records than it is about "art and expression" I agree that it's a damn slippery slope to start "banning" words. Will be ban such words from poetry next? What about books sold at Barnes & Nobel?

Maybe we could start requiring an ID showing that you're 18 years old to sell a CD or music to people, but that'll just make it that much more desireable b/c it would be that much more forbidden. At some point these kids' parents are going to have to take responsibility for teaching their kids right and wrong, it can't be legislated.

Now, I see the Imus and Rosie thing much differently. They're commecial personalities. They're not being censored so much as held to a standard set by their employers and sponsors...granded that standard was/is pretty vaguely defined, but we all have a standard within our various employment situations. If I walk into the Sisters of Mercy St. John's Hospital ER where I work and started throwing around the N, F & B words I'd get my nice person fired too! I'm not being censored...I can walk outside to the street and say those words all I want, but a standard of decency exists in my work place that I'm expected to meet...it's not in my contract, but it's clear from the environment. Imus hasn't been censored either...He can use the N, F & B words all he likes now, no one can stop him, the constitution is his friend. He can write books, make music, what ever and use those words...but his sponsors won't pay him to do it.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]430410[/snapback]</div>
    Good Morning my good doctor.

We agree - i think however that Imus's sponsors left him because of fear from slick al and hymietown jackson making hay with them. Sad.

I think rosie left because of internal conflicts with baba walters - and $ issues - whatever - like imus i did not watch her show, could not care less about what she says or thinks, but respect her right to say it.

david

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Likewise, didn't listen/watch Imus...the few times I heard his comments I thought he was entertaining but misled. While Sharpton and Jackson clearly influenced the proceedings and probably nudged Imus over the edge, he was leaning way out over the precipice with the American public driving him that way before the 'dogs' attacked. Sponsors were reeling and some serious consequence had to result. To simplify things to the point that you'd "blame" Sharpton and Jackson is to seriously minimize Imus' roll in all this.

Rosie, don't know, don't care, didn't watch, think she and Trump's stuff that's made the news is just as juvenile of talk as I've ever heard out of two adults. They're both (rich) idiots....it's so bad, actually, that I wonder if maybe they do this intentionaly, by agreement, to increase their own press coverage.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]430419[/snapback]</div>
    i dont know how much of this imus is responsible for - i just dont like the timing and the external influences that might have been involved.

u might be right about people getting together and making a deal to increase their own publicity - for free too.

How have you been lately? Any good wines lately?

David

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ah, but censorship is indeed alive and well...

...and here's the way it's done:

(pretty simple actually)

You simply frame an environment.

:ph34r: