1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 10 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]420899[/snapback]</div>
    Would Dr. David H. Berman fire any of his staff members if they were to refer to him as a "boner-nosed, beanie-wearing Jew boy" while talking to his patients or colleagues?

2. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 10 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]420909[/snapback]</div>
    Did Imus really use that particular racial slur? This is the only place I've seen it mentioned.

If Imus actually said it, though, it's pretty bad, and he clearly needs to be yanked.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Apr 10 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]420926[/snapback]</div>
    I saw several references to the word "jigaboos" being used. Here is one. Although, it is not clear from this reference whether it was actually Imus or his producer who said the word (they were bantering back and forth). I've heard the audio many times by now of Imus himself saying "nappy-headed hos" so there is no question about that.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 10 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]420823[/snapback]</div>
    Sharpton doesn't want anyone to remember the T'wana Brawley incident. He & she made a false rape charge up accusing the KKK of doing it. She later admitted it was all a lie. So, anytime I see Sharpton running his big mouth I ignore everything he says. Nothing ever happened to him when he did wrong.

I am not an Imus fan, but I think this country is too focused on name calling. When I was a kid we all called each other names. Nobody cared. So, my thoughts are we should be more focused on matters of importance such as getting our troops out of Iraq, national health ins. policy, jobs for all, etc.

All this nonsence about name calling is baby stuff. If I had a dollar for every nasty name I was called I'd be rich.

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 10 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]420927[/snapback]</div>
    The transcript and video of Imus are available at media matters. http://mediamatters.org/items/200704040011

The jigaboos/wannabes comment was made by his partner McGuirk and is evidently a reference to Spike Lee's School Daze.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is what Imus did a crime? And if it is or it is not, is being fired an appropriate punishment?

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]420944[/snapback]</div>
    No, it is not a crime (unless you consider stupidity a crime), and I don't think that anyone would seriously call it a crime. We're not denying his right to say whatever he believes, no matter how idiotic. If you have actually paid attention to what I and others have said here, you'd see that.
    If this were an isolated incident, I'd say that a two-week suspension would be appropriate. I don't listen to Imus- that would be like listening to the resident right-wingers on FHOP rant all day long- but it is apparent from what has been written about Imus that this is a continual pattern of behavior. Answer the question posed by IsrAmeriPrius above (I know- you only ask questions, you don't answer them). If firing is the appropriate remedy in that case, then I submit it is equally appropriate here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 10 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]420911[/snapback]</div> When this despicable crime was committed- a hate crime if there ever was one- the governor of Texas, George W. Bush, refused to enact hate crimes legislature, saying that the existing laws were "tough enough". After Bush was "elected" president and Gov. Perry assumed office, he passed the James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Act on May 11, 2001

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Apr 10 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]420826[/snapback]</div>
    I think if we can get rid of all 3 in one swing of the axe, we should take the opportunity.

If we have to wack one Imus to get rid of both Jesse and Al, we can't pass up a deal like that.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]420944[/snapback]</div>
    Is the only grounds for firing criminal activity? Or do people get sacked for other things as well? a consultant loses a big client through his own ineptitude - is he fired? Two office workers are caught in a compromising position in the broom closet on multiple occasions - are they fired? The CEO of a company delivers a bad year or two of earnings - is he fired?

In all of these cases, no crime was committed. And yet in all of them, there is a better than average chance that the offending individual(s) was(were) fired.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 10 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]420951[/snapback]</div>
    fine, if no crime was comitted and you find the appropriate punishment to be firing (even though imus has apparently raised over $100 MILLION for various charities, he has helped increase the death benefit for soldiers families from $12,000 to $500,000, etc) fine.

than obviousy you have no problem with people who commit actual crimes getting punished.

if you can, please tell me what was sharptons punishment for the tawana brawley hoax? and jessie jackson and his infamous hymietown reference - what was his punishment for that? and what will you do to all the rappers who utter the most amazing racist remarks and get paid for doing so - should they be fired too? and then there is armedajad of iran - he called for the destruction of a UN member country - what should be his punishment? all this bad talk - some of it really much more dangerous than what imus stupidly said - and what are you going to do - or do you just cherry pick who you punish.

and btw - what is your punishment for perjury - impeachment or what?? or are there shades of perjury??? perhaps even instances when perjury is committed when no punishment is indicated?

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just remember, when you see a troller one day he might be a shock jock. :p

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]420993[/snapback]</div>
    You do realize you're talking about completely separate items that can't be compared, right? Take the rappers, for example - the cussing and racist remarks they make are made intentionally as part of their image, and are specifically what they are paid for. Likewise, in Iran he was making remarks that the people wanted to hear - something that really is part of his job description.

In this case, Imus was acting as a representative of those broadcasting companies, and they decided they didn't approve of the image he was portraying. It's perfectly within their right - just as it is within the rights of the record companies to drop a rapper, or Iran to replace its leader (through whatever process is available to them). They already suspended him, indicating that they didn't approve of what he said.

The question of whether suspension is enough or if he should get fired is a completely valid one, and one you can't dismiss because you've heard some awful things from other people and they're still in whatever positions they're in. Does he have a history of comments like this? Is he likely to make such a comment again? those are the real questions here, and those questions provide the answer to the question of suspension versus firing.

13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 10 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]421000[/snapback]</div>
    How are shock jocks different? They are deliberately trying to be offensive too.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 10 2007, 04:21 PM) [snapback]421000[/snapback]</div>
    are you for real?

only have time for one reply here. your iran comment - that he is making remarks that the people wanted to hear - perhaps you were referencing hitler in 1936?

JJJJJJJJJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

15. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]421010[/snapback]</div>
    Ever heard of Godwin's law?

(wiki)

Could you just focus on actually what we're talking about in this thread, and not go raving in random directions about Nazi Germany, and Iraq, and other emotionally charged but not relevant issues?

(Could you frame your reply in a way that doesn't immediately attack me for how I can't see that your emotionally charged issues are just SO relevant to Imus and current events?)

Galaxee put it best -- you talk in absolutes, and it is ridiculous.

Focus, man.

What Imus did wasn't a crime -- no one here is saying so. But what he did was wrong. Isn't it possible to do something wrong and yet it isn't a crime, and doesn't require strict legal interpretation to be punishment-worthy?

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Let me share with you my favorite quote from the Usenet archives:

Give it up, Berman. Everyone else recognizes this issue for what it is - a question of what a corporation should do about one of its personalities that is being offensive, rude, and obscene. This isn't a question of someone who is in a position of power over a military. This isn't a question of someone who is in a position to wage war. This is the question of a person who slung racial and sexist slurs at a group of TEENAGERS that had just had possibly the biggest accomplishment of their lives thus far.

Try to understand the question and the issue, or what you say will be as mindless and useless as "Tad" (the user the above quote was directed towards).

17. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Apr 10 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]421020[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm listening to Ann Coulter or Michael Savage......

....do I hear jackboots in the distance?

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So were any nappy-headed hos offended by being lumped together with a bunch of female basketball players? Who is speaking up for them? Can't wait for Hugh Grant to weigh in on the real issue here.

19. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in his defense, he has been competing against Howard Stern for popularity almost his entire career; since slim begots slime, this is what happens. What I find more depressing is that the goal of his and Stern's smut is purely to incur a public outcry, be it positive or negative, and it works almost every time.

A quote from Stern's movie Private Parts:
    "Researcher: The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
    Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
    Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next." "

It's sad to say, but the average american is amused by trash.

20. Saddam Hussein

Saddam Hussein New Member

You did not list me along with my dear friends - I'm slighted!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]420993[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]421010[/snapback]</div>