1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    anybody know what mike and the maddog on WFAN had to say about it?

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not an Imus fan or a Stern fan - that kind of show doesn't appeal to me. But I find what Imus said on air in this 'incident' reprehensible, and I'd support his employers if they decided to discipline him more harshly than the two week suspension, even up to firing him.

A few years ago, the radio station I listen to fired a long-term disc jockey for making an antisemitic remark, not on the air, but in his workplace. I thought firing him was not entirely justified, since it wasn't an on-air remark.

I'll admit to being appalled, though, that sexist/racist/antisemitic/et al remarks that show such bias are still as common as they are. I 'grew up' in the 60's, and it seemed like a lot of people became more tolerant during those years. Too bad that not everyone has 'gotten with the program' because they think such speech is reprehensible (as opposed to 'reforming' because it's 'politically correct')

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    YOu know.. I might give a rats nice person about this guy if black / mexican comedians weren't constantly saying the same, if not worse, about white people.

That is all.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 10 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]421010[/snapback]</div>
    I am still waiting for your answer Dr. Berman.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 10 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]420922[/snapback]</div>

5. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 10 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]421144[/snapback]</div>
    I said it earlier in the thread... how does the non-punishment of one person make the action of another suddenly OK?

What is wrong.. is wrong. Whether it is punished or not!

6. npulaski1

npulaski1 New Member

Wow.

I can hardly believe you people. Those who are calling for his removal, AKA CENSORSHIP. Not only should he not be fired, he should have never apologized in the first place. He should have told Al Sharton he was a useless media whore who does nothing but use situations as such for his own benefit. So Imus's sense of humor is offensive, SO WHAT? So is humor from Howard Stern, Andrew Dice Clay, and so on and so fourth, to some demographic somewhere. Just because you don't like hearing it, does NOT give you the right to effectively sensor him.

On top of that, I could barely believe the WAY out of proportion intentional tear jerking from the Rutgers team. I'm sure each of those players has been called worse by far more familiar people. Not that that's meant to marginalize what he said, but oh gee, if a radio personality somewhere insults me, personally, I'm not going to put too much into it.

Shameful, truly shameful it is, those calling for his censorship. We have truly forgotten what freedom of speech really means.

Perhaps one day, when enough of it has eroded, we will once again learn its value.

Peace

7. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    People in the media say things all the time that I don't agree with or don't like. I can't turn on Comedy Central without hearing racist joke after racist joke.

If you aren't going to censor everyone then you shouldn't censor anyone.

It is entirely up to the decision of the people that employ him to let him go. If they don't think he is accurately conveying the ideals of the people/company he represents then they have every right to fire him.

Just because someone says something stupid or something that you don't like doesn't mean YOU have the right to make him stop.

Of course, I would expect such knee-jerk reactions from people that don't hold our countries values near and dear.

8. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(npulaski1 @ Apr 10 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]421216[/snapback]</div>
    I have not read every responce, but until I got to the last two, I was thinking we have a real good bunch of people on this forum. But then the two above posters blew the whole thing. I bet they love Ann Coulter, she was on CNN today and said saying "nappy haired Ho's" was NOT a racist statement, Can you believe the women !!!!!!!!

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Apr 10 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]421234[/snapback]</div>
    99.9% of folks on this forum are awesome. We may disagree, but for the most part, all good folks. The .1% of the folks that remain? Ignore 'em.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 10 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]420909[/snapback]</div>
    He also said they were tattooed.

There's free speech and there's free speech.

You can't yell 'Fire' in a crowded theater.

You cannot commit libel or slander either.

Can Don Imus document that any of these young women are prostitutes or have received money for sex? Well, then, I guess he commited slander when he called them whores. Personally, if I were the team I wouldn't bother to show up at that "meeting" where Imus is going to say he's sorry again. How many times over the years has the man apologized for putting his mouth in gear before his brain was engaged? Yet, he keeps doing it. One can surmise from the repeated behavior that he isn't sorry at all and all of the apologies are less than sincere.

Will Imus get fired? Probably not...yet. The world is becoming increasingly intolerant of his kind of humor. Remember Don Rickles? He dropped his insult humor. Smart man, that Don. And he still managed to be funny. Don Imus is becoming a liability. His bosses are going to weigh his ability to generate revenue against the publicity nightmare he brings to them.

What I expect will happen with Imus is he'll lose his sponsors. Fewer and fewer sponsors will want to pay money for commercial time during his program. No company wants to be associated with an unrepetant biggot, or a moron who keeps making the same mistake over and over.

*THEN* he'll get fired. (Or he'll "retire" or "resign".)

No loss, really.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(npulaski1 @ Apr 10 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]421216[/snapback]</div>
    Suspension or firing of a person is NOT censorship. Read my above posts.
    If I called a woman in my office a "ho", I would likely get fired. That would not an abridgement of my first amendment rights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(npulaski1 @ Apr 10 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]421216[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a daughter? I wonder if your reaction would be the same if some jerk called her a "ho".

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that was sarcastic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 10 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]421223[/snapback]</div>
    See, you say some of the most asinine things imaginable, and no one censors you, right? Freedom of speech.
    However, I sure as hell wouldn't pay you millions of dollars to say that kind of nonsense.

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(npulaski1 @ Apr 10 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]421216[/snapback]</div>
    What a fine piece of troll bait you have chosen to introduce yourself.

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

On our local news tonight, the Rhode Island NAACP wants a street in Providence renamed. Ten years ago, then mayor Buddy Cianci named a street "Imus Way" (probably because Cianci was a publicity hound). The NAACP wants this street renamed after Jackie Robinson. But as it's an alley behind a stadium named after Dunkin' Donuts, I think that it's not worthy of Jackie Robinson's name- seems an appropriate thing to name after Imus.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 10 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]420775[/snapback]</div>
    He can still be a racist. He just hates everybody.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 10 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]421257[/snapback]</div>
    Not only would you be fired, but you would be in violation of a Federal Law against sexual harassment in the workplace. The legal definition of sexual harassment is “unwelcome verbal, visual, or physical conduct of a sexual nature that is severe or pervasive and affects working conditions or creates a hostile work environment.†The federal law prohibiting sexual harassment in the workplace is Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, as amended.The law makes certain employers responsible for preventing and stopping sexual harassment that occurs on the job.

Title VII applies to private and most public employers, labor organizations, employment agencies, and joint employer-union apprenticeship programs with 15 or more employees.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 10 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]421257[/snapback]</div>
    ...On national radio.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

John McCain and Rudy Guiliani were on CNN this morning, saying that they would gladly appear on Imus' show again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 10 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]421172[/snapback]</div>
    You are much more patient than Dr. Berman. When he demands an answer to a question from someone, he usually comes back with "I am still waiting" every 20 minutes. :lol:

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 10 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]420922[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Life has been very hectic here. One of my boys is recovering from two hours of emergency abdominal surgery - thankfully everything turned out ok. My baby was just Bar Mitzvah'd this past weekend. I have been babysitting my grandson. And on top of this the practice has been pretty busy and there is that little pressing need of getting my taxes in order - so i cant promise quick responses to all.

so in response to your question - i am not sure of how this relates to the imus situation. would i fire an employee for saying that to me - you would have to tell me the situation in which it was said - in general it would probably not win that person and friendship or influence.

imus being fired is up to his employer - period. he broke no laws unless saying stupid things is a felony offense. what i totally resent are people like sharpton and jackson holding court to ponder imus's fate - if that is not the felons running the prison nothing is.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was seriously dismayed and upset at Imus's comments. They were so clearly over any line of decency that I just couldn't believe he let himself say it.

I was impressed that by the time I heard about it (the following day I think) that Imus was profusely apologetic (sincerely IMO), intent on meeting with the players and even Sharpton (ok that's a stupid thing to do, but I acknowledge the gesture). He's been contrite about his mistake and patient with all the critics from the beginning of this.

I'm sick of the black community, and others, wanting to wanting a virtual hanging of Imus for the comments. They're making themselves bigger targets here. If those in leadership positions in the black community would come out and say that they appreciate his sincere apologies and look forward to meeting with him and hopefully mending any fences good will would spread much more quickly and less frustration with one another would result.

I think the suspension is adequate. I think Imus has learned a lesson. I do not think he is a black hater or a woman hater...he was trying to be humorous and was exagerating the appearance of the girls to make his point of emphesis on his attempt at humor stronger. It was a really bad decision...but not one worthy of hanging him, firing him, or of all the hubub that's been created.

I do feel REALLY badly for the Rutgers girls. I think this really does tarnish a fantastic NCAA tourney experience for them. Imus does owe them a sincere apology. He probably owes them some serious air time. He probably also needs to give strong consideration to making a large donation to the Rutger's women's basketball scholarship program as well!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 11 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]421407[/snapback]</div>
    Oh no...I'm going to agree with my collegue here.

The freedom of speach laws allows one to say things...nothing illegal about that. But you also have to face the consequences and those consequences will be determined by many people. While Sharpton, et al can express their dismay, anger, etc. Threats of boycotts and insistance on firings are out of line and out of their purview, IMO.

Considering what Imus does, the things he says, who his audience is, and the context of the comments I think it would be wrong to succumb to the outside pressure of those who probably never even listen to him to fire him. He needs a spanking and I've no doubt he's well learned a lesson here. But the decision on his future as far as his employment is up to his employer.

p.s. Glad the surgery on your son went OK Dr. B.

19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't Forget to Blame the Anymonous Listener

Imus has been doing this for decades. As many point out, he has made this same kind of insults at everybody at one time or another. Like it or not, a large part of the public approves of Imus' behavior and has rewared him with a very successful broadcasting career.

I for one, have never cared for shock jocks and other gutter-level entertainment - I don't tune in to it. It's akin to trolling - it should be ignored.

Anyone that listens to people like Imus implictly support his remarks at the Rutgers basketball team and countless other insults. For everyone else, if you seriously object to his actions, don't listen to him or support the sponsors.

This kind of thing will happen as long as people hypocritically listen to such stuff.

20. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 10 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]421244[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you just give the.1% an answer even though you don't like what they write? I personally believe everyone is entitled tohis/her opinion and that's what makes a forum like this more interesting. I may not agree with someone's statement(s) but I still say they are entitled to it. You seem reasonable. Think about it.