1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(charliem @ Apr 11 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]421541[/snapback]</div>
    This is not a liberal or conservative issue. It is a First Amendment rights issue. I could not care what Imus's politcial ideologies are - he has the right to say what he said. He broke NO laws - unless saying something stupid is illegal - if that was the case there would be no room left in the jails for actual felons. If his employer wants to act on his comments that is their choice - and it is totally indepenent of his right to free speech - it will relate to some moral/ethical conduct clause in his contract.

What I am sick of is who is leading the charge against Imus and the amazing amount of people who want him fired for what he said - which borders on censorship in my opinion.

For what its worth I have not heard much about all the good he has done - raised over $100 Million for charities, helped lead the way to increase significantly the death benefit for US soldiers, etc. These are not insignificant accomplishments.

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Apr 11 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]421563[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure that's also why McCain's been hankering to get on his show. And why Imus is always so nice to Hillary Clinton. ;)

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 11 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]421564[/snapback]</div>
    Yes its illegal to say something stupid.Didnt he defame those womens character ,by labeling them as prostitutes?I dont see why that isnt legally slanderous.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Apr 11 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]421583[/snapback]</div>
    tell me the illegality in his comments he is being skewered for? if they think they have a slander case let them bring it before a judge and jury - it wouldnt make it to the file server.

and refresh my memory please, did sharpton and/or jackson march on behalf of the accuser to the duke lacrosse players - perhaps their words were illegal since they might have libeled or slandered the students? where are they now - do you think they will come out on behalf of the duke students now that they have been TOTALLY cleared? maybe they should sue all those who slandered them??

5. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Apr 11 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]421583[/snapback]</div>
    That is just Politically Correct nonsense.. Complete liberal knee-jerk reaction.

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who the hell cares.
    I've never listened to him, never will.
    I barely even knew who the guy was until this week.
    Why should I have to know who he is now?

If he offends enough people, which he may have done, than the advertisers will pull their dollars from his show. Its not up to government to step in here. We are not a fundamentalist country...yet.

7. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Apr 11 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]421613[/snapback]</div>
    Couldn't agree more!! Sounds like a storm in a teacup.

What really annoys me is the fact that there seems to be a huge double standard at this point in time. Nobody takes offense if a black comedian makes black and white jokes, but heaven forbid a white comedian does it.

I also don't see all these large anit-racism rallies going on outside the record labels selling record for rappers, who uses far warse and more racist words in every song. So if it is OK for rappers to use it, what is the problem with anybody else using it, irrespective of age, religion, skin color, etnicity, etc???

Let people say what they want to say or censor everybody if certain words, phrases are offensive.

The current state of affairs in regards to these things are pathetic. IMHO.

ANd in the end who caresif some shock jock says something?? It is not like he has any control over anything anyhow, just an entertainer like a comedian, rapper, etc.

Politicians, etc is probably a different discussion, especially the ones that determine future policies, laws, etc.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 11 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]421564[/snapback]</div>
    Not to beat a dead horse (being a liberal, I hate to see animal abuse), but it's NOT a First Amendment issue. That does not apply to an employer firing or otherwise penalizing an employee for improper conduct. His right to free speech is not being threatened- only his access to the airwaves. That is no more an infringement on his right to free speech than banning someone from PriusChat.
    And no, Imus did not violate any laws, and it is silly to suggest that. Slander is really stretching it, as no one seriously believes that he made an allegation that the women on the team are prostitutes.
    He made a stupid, offensive, bigoted remark. Apparently he does this all the time; I never listen to his show. And there is entirely too much of this hateful, bigoted stuff all over the media. No one should be restricted from speaking freely, no matter how offensive. But if you care about decency, then you should make known your indignation when you hear this stuff, and not give your money to the companies that sponsor it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 11 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]421645[/snapback]</div>
    Staples and Bigelow Tea also pulled their sponsorship- tomorrow I'm going to buy a bunch of file folders and tea bags. :)

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the horse is already dead, is it still animal abuse? -jk

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 11 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]421651[/snapback]</div>
    Nayyy - we agree bro. he can say what he said - its his employers decision to act or not and to determine what type of action they undertake.

i just hate the racial hate mongerers that survive/thrive off the deciduous waste that is the byproduct of this stupidity.

i am not a tea totler - we have two starbucks within a block from my office and they are less expensive for their espresso than the dunkin donuts around the corner! and staples delivers to my office which is real convenient when it comes to those cases of paper - for that matter so does McDonalds - staff loves it. i think the only people that dont deliver in manhattan are the banks :) but we are working on that :D

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Folks, this is the format for the new Larkin and Berman Show on PriusChat. Sort of like Hannity and Colmes, except I am much better holding up the liberal end than that wimp Holmes. Dr. Berman and I argue back and forth ad nauseum; then we realize we agree on something and drink wine.
    We're hoping that CBS or MSNBC picks up our show; perhaps as a replacement for Imus.

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

MSNBC just announced that they are cancelling their simulcast of Imus' show.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 11 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]421407[/snapback]</div>
    Refuah shlema.

Mazal tov.

My appointment with the CPA is in 45 minutes; got to run.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Apr 11 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]421613[/snapback]</div>
    My sentiments, exactly.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What did I say?

Procter & Gamble, Staples, GM, American Express and Sprint are pulling advertisements from Don Imus' show.

Sponsors pull ads.

(Told you so)

These sponsors are within their rights to distance themselves from anyone that has the potential to hurt their product sales. And when Imus does not have sponsorship, he hurts the bottom line of his employers. No one should have a problem with this. After all, it's a free market....right? Capitalism at it's best?

MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the "Imus in the Morning" radio program. They say it's because of listener outrage. More like Imus is an albatross and they can no longer sell his airtime.

MSNBC drops Imus.

(And...Told you so.)

Did Imus break the law? Yes. (More so than Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria.)

As his employer, MSNBC needs to consider their liability under Federal Title VII. Imus could be considered in violation of a Federal Law against sexual harassment. His outburst could also be considered slander. MSNBC could fire him because he presents a liability to them in regards to litigation. They're going to score points by saying it's because of the public outrage. But I suspect it's really because he can't generate adequate revenue to justify keeping him on the air. I also suspect that in a few days CBS will also cut him loose.

Maybe he'll get a job with FOX.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 11 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]421734[/snapback]</div>
    You must be Jeane Dixon :D

17. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 11 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]4[/snapback]</div>
    I don't mean to denigrate Godiva's gift of prophecy, but we could see this coming down Broadway. :)

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Civil rights attorney and former Los Angeles Police Commission member Constance Rice wrote an excellent op-ed article which was published in today's Los Angeles Times.

Here are some excerpts:

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 11 2007, 07:56 PM) [snapback]421850[/snapback]</div>
    That article, boiled down to one sentence, seems to say, "there's no excuse for what he said... but here's an excuse for what he said." :blink:

Am I missing something? (I know someone is going to chime in and tell me, no worries here.) I stand on my question for the third time: why does other people making rascist comments and not being punished for them make this guy's statements okay?