1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imus in the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What Don Imus said was tastleless but what ever happened to the first amendment? Don Imus is an entertainer, is every entertainer going to be held to the same standard? It seems this is a very slippery slope.

On a somewhat similar topic when are the civil rights leaders (Jackson and Sharpton) going to protest on behalf of the three Duke Lacrosse players for having their civil rights trampled?

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Apr 12 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]421927[/snapback]</div>
    The First Amendment of the US Constitution. Where is the illegality in what he said? Unless you are calling for punishing people for speaking stupid - if that is what you want you better build a lot of jail cells or get ready for huge increases in your unemployment taxes :D

In the end racist comments can be said by anyone at any time.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Noticed the government was not commented on this at all? All this talk about the First Amendment, but no court action....

We can all say things that can estrange us from our spouse, family, neighbors, employers - government is not involved.

In regards to rappers saying worse things than Imus - they deserve the same kind of heat with little break for not being an "outsider".

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 12 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]421964[/snapback]</div>
    How about an apology for their comments against the students - perhaps even that they slandered them as did the NY Times, the 88 Duke Professors who published that open letter, CNN, etc - all of whom presumed their guilt and DENIED them the presumption of INNOCENCE - where are all the mea culpas?

How about the Tawana Brawley HOAX and that cop sharpton destroyed Steven [i forget his last name] - where does he go to get back his reputation - sharpton has NOT even apologized to him. how about the violent protests sharpton organizes and back -was not someone killed during one of the protests a few years back.

i am SICKENED by the sights of sharpton and jackson and even teddy kennedy standing in judgement of others - they must have the largest set of gonads - not to mention the smallest set of morals and ethics.

and how do you give all those rappers a free pass on what they say - one rap song i heard last year went along the lines of f**k that n****r, slap that ho.......... i was amazed that a person much less a company thought it, printed it, published it, and got paid for it!.

BTW - that scholarship jackson got the accuser - what was it for?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]421966[/snapback]</div>
    WHAT ROLE DOES THE GOVERNMENT HAVE HERE AT ALL? WHERE IS THE CRIME? ARE YOU CALLING FOR BIG BROTHER TO INVESTIGATE AND PUNISH STUPIDTY.

IS THIS THE SAME GOVERNMENT THAT YOU WANT MONITORING STUPID SPEECH THAT WRONGLY AND FALSELY ACCUSED THREE INNOCENT STUDENTS OF RAPING A BLACK WOMEN BASED ON HER INCONSISTENT WORD AND ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE OF THE CRIME BEING COMMITTED?

THE GOVT HAS NO PLACE IN ALL OF THIS. THIS IS STRICTLY BETWEEN MR. IMUS AND HIS EMPLOYER AND THE RACIAL HATE MONGERORS WHO THRIVE ON ALL OF THIS.

sorry for the caps

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 12 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]421970[/snapback]</div>
    Jesse Jackson is a fraud. He has been corrupted by dollars and power. I think there may have been a time when he was genuine, now he is just into money and power. If he had any sense of civil rights and or justice he would come stop hounding Imus and make a public apology to the Duke lacrosse players who in the end were only guilty of having bad taste in strippers.

6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <strike>malorn - I'm clueless why you shouted in uppercase at my post</strike>

dbermanmd - you need to slow down. It should be obvious I'm not advocating government or court involvement. (see below).

Thought it was obvious I am not imploring the courts or the govenment to get involved. In fact, I wish Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton should excuse themselves and their politics.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]421966[/snapback]</div>

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 12 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]421965[/snapback]</div>
    Berman, so many people here have said that he was protected legally by the first amendment that you're sounding like a broken record. the "punishment" many people refer to is corporate, not criminal. And we're seeing that happen now. But if you want to know the potential (and i said potential, i'm not a lawyer and not willing to judge him legally) court actions, take a look at the following:

http://www.megalaw.com/top/defamation.php

Defamation and slander are actionable items. The players on the team CAN sue him for damages.

The Civil Rights act of 1964:
    This has been held up in many, many court cases. Some of the important ones are:

Bundy v. Jackson - Title VII liability can exist for sexual insults (Title VII is the portion of the Civil Rights Act that covers sexual harassment).

Civil Rights Act of 1991 - Provides for jury trials and increased damages

Faragher v. City of Boca Raton - an Employer can be held responsible for sexual harassment by its supervisors if it doesn't take appropriate action to prevent and correct such actions.

So, in short, the companies have every right to fire him for what he said. And in fact, they should fire him. These girls have every right to sue Imus. If the companies don't take appropriate action (as determined by a jury, if it comes to that), they can be sued as well. IMO, suspending him for 2 weeks is a slap on the wrist. Mandating that he attend sexual harassment awareness classes and such would most likely be sufficient to protect them. Firing him for what he said would definitely protect them.

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

There is an old Chinese saying,

"Disaster comes from the mouth".

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]421991[/snapback]</div>
    It was not me, it was drbermanmd

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 12 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]422045[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry about that :unsure:

dbermanmd would better serve himself if he slowed down take more careful aim on his cyber chain-gun

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]422049[/snapback]</div>
    read the last sentance
    i said sorry for the caps

i much prefer my glock series 19 over a chain gun :D

getting back to the topic - i hope imus hits back. both jackson and sharpton have pasts that will be easily pierced - as long as the media goes along with it too. still waiting for them to apologize to the duke lacrosse players.

if the damage continues to amass on top of imus's carcus i will become a listener and or a contributor to his charities. it is my guess that the dastardly duo look at imus as the appetizer and they are going to move forward to other venues of public speech - it makes me sick.

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CBS just axed Don Imus and his program

13. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Will Michael Richards (Kramer) be hosting that time slot now????

Boo-Yahhh

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]422197[/snapback]</div>
    He will almost certainly get picked up by someone- he has too large an audience. Probably either HBO or Showtime, or satellite radio. If he gets a show on XM, I'll cancel my subscription.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 11 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]421734[/snapback]</div>
    BINGO!

Told you so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 11 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]421734[/snapback]</div>
    Now let's see if I'm 3 for 3.

And I won't be buying any Bigelow Tea. No loss. I prefer Twinnings.

CBS fires Don Imus from radio show.

One has to wonder if his behavior and choice of vocabulary was restricted to the airwaves. That kind of talk in the workplace violates Title VII. His talk ON the air violated FCC regulations. And it's slander. So wrong on so many levels.

But I'll bet FOX would love to have him. Maybe he can get Ann Coulter as a regular guest.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 12 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]422229[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva, it didn't take a Karnac to predict that one! :)

Bigelow dropped their sponsorship of Imus (along with Staples, GM, and P&G) before he was fired.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 12 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]422242[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I thought. But the article I read said that Imus thanked them for staying with him.

"Imus made a point Thursday to thank one sponsor, Bigelow Tea, for sticking by him."

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 12 2007, 07:46 AM) [snapback]421964[/snapback]</div>
    I think the issue here is that it's time for all of us to act like adults (and, perhaps, domesticated animals forced to live in severely close proximity with each other) and MELLOW OUT!

Sure, the First Amendment protects hate speech (in theory, I suppose)...but, really, what has happened to our pride in ourselves?

Who cares if this is prohibited or not? Isn't it apparent that the language he used is so terribly charged??

So what if "rappers use racial slurs all the time..." Don't we have any pride in OURSELVES anymore, where we can choose to take the high road, instead of indulging ourselves in this sort of thing? It's so pathetic that there can even be such an argument about this issue.

Someone, sometime, somewhere, needs to be adult and *choose* to restrain herself. To NOT say the hurtful thing, even though it would feel SOOOOO good.

Perhaps, God willing, it'll be catching. Wouldn't it be nice if general peer pressure from the majority of us made it so the vulgar and boorish among us faded into obscurity?

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 12 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]422252[/snapback]</div>
    Amen!

20. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 12 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]422252[/snapback]</div>
    For me, there are two very different kinds of peer pressure.

Type 1 is "I don't like what Person A is saying, so I'm not going to listen to A any more".

Type 2 is "I don't like what Person A is saying, so I'm going to ostracize not only A but also Person B if B listens to or does business with A".

To me, type 1 is ethical and type 2 is not. Type 2 leads to suppression of minority ideas by the majority viewpoint. Just like I think the government shouldn't ban speech even when I think the ideas are bad, I don't think we should take it into our own hands to do type 2 peer pressure, even when we think the ideas involved are bad.

I'd be happy to have Imus off the air because his audience drops off and without ratings he can't sell commercials. But I'm not happy to have him off the air because advertisers are afraid they'll be boycotted for carrying their message to his listeners. Just as I'm not happy when advertisers are pressured by conservative Christian groups to stop advertising in gay magazines.