1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In a tough spot and need some advice...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by snafubar, Jul 23, 2019.

1. snafubar

snafubar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I recently got a 2012 Prius V that my daughter needs to drive to Texas from Pennsylvania. She needs to leave by August 15th. She was driving when the engine check light came on, but she continued to drive until the car lost power (smoke was visible). The car was towed to a local small shop where the mechanic checked the codes and 11 of them showed up. I then had the car towed to a dealership and they fixed a broken coolant hose, but said the car still won't start and that the engine needs replaced. I got a good referral to a shop that does engine replacements, but they won't do a Prius. How do I go about getting this done at a reasonable cost?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will likely cost $1800-$2800 depending on where you go.
    Is that within your budget?

If not, then move on. The car as it sits currently is a lawn ornament. Worth scrap value.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Look for a shop that knows Prius and has a Toyota Techstream scanner. One resource in the Dr Prius app which has reviewed shops based on your area. Pic below is from that app in free Demo mode in my area. Option is in top left menus. Cartalk.com has recommended shops in general. But their reviews are old but might point you to a respected shop. I see a Dons Performance listed as an engine shop. I would also check Yelp but realize the general public reviews can be biased by a high dollar breakdown.

E4D55386-3AA8-4267-B99C-018ACE275222.jpeg

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    HARD life lesson for the daughter.....but a good one.

That car might not be worth fixing now.

AND....she might have to get by for a while without a car.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like the v is in PA now with the issues and would “hopefully” be in TX later in August ;).

Maybe @trentofdestiny has a recommendation (y).

6. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recommend a used engine over a repair, it will get done faster and may be cheaper.

The dealer isn't a bad option here. Now, now, hear me out. Used auto parts distributors ("junkyards") sell engines with warranties now. You can get 6 mo, 1 yr, lifetime, etc. Price goes up with each level of warranty but the dealer is willing to install these used engines, provided they themselves order it, and it has a better chance of being done correctly. The dealer has the tools to handle any surprises that come up like wrong year engine and something is different.

iPhone ?

7. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I blew a head gasket 2 years ago and my quotes from the dealership and the local prius shops for a replacement 100k engine were were all in the $4-5k range. I bought a used one online with 60k miles and a 6 month 6k mile warranty for $1628 shipped to my garage. It took me a bit to replace it and I learned alot, but we have put over 50k miles on it in the past 2 years with no problems.

I would want to know what they say the issue is. If it is a HG that can be replaced yourself for cheap, but is a pain. I decided a full swap was faster and easier.

8. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would opt to replace the engine over a repair. If it was driven very long without coolant, the piston rings and top end are probably cooked.

9. snafubar

snafubar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I want to thank everyone for their input, I really do appreciate it. The last few days have been very hectic so sorry for the lack of response, but I believe I've managed to find a reliable shop based on a personal recommendation and they are going to put in an 80k mile engine for a total cost of $3200 with a three month warranty. I just got done towing it there myself with a rented truck and tow dolly which was a real experience. Finding someone to do it on the needed timeline was difficult.

Again, thanks for the great advice.

10. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only a 3month warranty? the minimum from lkq is 6month warranty. I’m hoping that 3month is enuff for you. Me personally would have gone with a little longer.