1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In an accident with my Prius (pictures included)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elphaba, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glad to hear you both are ok. With that said, GO TO A DOCTOR. Even if you don't feel any pain right now, get checked out, let your insurance company know you are going to the Dr, be sure that it is documented. So many times people don't go to the doctor after an accident and then have recurring problems later on down the road due to the wreck.

Just ask my neck :)

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear that you are OK.

Your car looks like a shoe in to be totalled. The engine bays are too tight in these cars, for the drivetrain to have survived that impact without damage, and that's where the money is REALLY going to add up.

As for not being able to replace it. I'd get ready to get down and dirty with the insurance company. With there beginning to be inventories on the lot, you should have no problem getting a replacement, and the nearly 100% resale value on the car should be enough to get you a replacement car. You do NOT have to take their offer and run. With dealers still charging over MSRP for them in hard to get areas, you are in a position to demand a new replacement car, especially since yours was only a few months old. Don't let the crooks intimidate you.

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Hey, great pics and what a fab job Toyota did on its creation of crumple zones.

I know you are not happy about losing your "baby" after just a few short months but at age 48 I can tell you that the sheet metal means NOTHING to me now, its all about PEOPLE.

My Prius is in, I should pick it up in two days and these pics are just incredible, very reassuring.

Its totaled, and DO NOT take it back under any circumstances. Get another one.

And don't get flimflamd over the replacement/current value business. My brothers '04 Prius on depreciated 800.00 from his purchase price over the past year.

So, insist the car be totaled, and get the $$ value you need. Check Edmonds, NADA guides for current values on your car before it was totaled.

I wish you continued good luck, but you sure had a barrel full in this crash already. As in most cases you made your own luck when you made the decision to buy a very crash safe car, a current design and not some warmed over 80's design.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i will echo the sediment here that your health is worth 10 Priuses...

but losing your car still ranks very very high at least for me. in the short time ive had my car, ive never become this attached to any other car ive ever owned.

i am impressed with the way the car did fare. the smoke you saw when the air bags deployed was most likely the result of the explosions used to deploy the airbags. most have small charges of something similiar to dynamite to insure deployment in time to prevent injury.

and considering that the windshield of the Prius is one of the largest on a passenger car, its impressive for it to be undamaged in a 55 mph front end collision...

the many safety awards the Prius has won are obviously well deserved...

good luck in your quest for a replacement

5. mspencer

mspencer New Member

I also remember that smell. They pack the airbags with powder so they don't clump up or stick together, and thus fail to open completely.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am glad everyone was ok. That is the best news. There was a picture of a 04 Prius that was T-boned by a 18 wheeler hauling an oversized piece of earthmoving equipment I saw last summer. Can not find it now. A kid under driving age and with out a licence pulled out in front of the truck as he was going 65 or greater. Drinking was involved as there was a 18 pack in the back of the Prius. 5 kids in the car all under driving age. The pictures were awful the amazing thing was 3 lived, they were the ones with seat belts on. The other two did not have belts. I think it is a well designed car capable of protecting you if you help out a bit. It looks like the Prius here did what it was supposed to sacrifice the car for the people. Count me as one who wants to know how this comes out! Do you have your name on a dealers list yet?

7. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

A few years ago, my car was in an accident and was totalled. I learned that the industry has gotten more efficient recycling used parts and rebuilding is much more expensive than the original assembly. All of these factors lead to more and more totalling for less and less damage.

Be grateful if it's totalled. I had a car I really liked so much I pressed to have it repaired anyway. It was never the same. The frame had gotten bent, and it never tracked correctly again.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"62728)</div>
    Actually, it's the 2005 Kia Spectra (standard equipment). The cheapest Toyota to offer front side and full length curtain airbags is the 2005 Toyota Corolla LE Package "B" at $24,715. But I guess you got yours last year before the 2005 Corolla (May) and Spectra (July?) came out?

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You got it.

In addition to thoracic and curtain airbags, I also wanted ETC, EBD, brake assist, etc etc. That further narrows the short list.

A Kia? Yeah, right ... I doubt they have stellar crash ratings. It was the NCAP crash rating of the Prius that sold me on it.

10. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) elphaba,

rear collisions! ya right.

Would you like me to scan in a copy of the police report to show you that my story is indeed accurate?

Mr. Frank Hudon had posted his story and pictures when he was rear ended in his 04 Prius. I believe he was just stating he understands what you are going through.

Ben

11. pepa

pepa New Member

Victim of the snow storm, correct? Yeah, there was lots of accidents out there, it was pretty bad.

Glad you're both ok. And thanks for sharing the pictures - I also vote that this will be totalled, as it seems that "essential organs" were damaged. Poor baby...

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"62842)</div>
    True. It could be a marketing thing or simply to improve its ratings (i.e. cover up for a poorer design).

Yeah, with active safety, your choice is narrowed even further. That leaves the Altima 2.5SL or Camry XLE. But if I had a choice, I'd still go with the Prius.

13. olends

olends New Member

the powder on airbags, is acctually simple cornstarch. and its is designed to keep it flexible so its ready when you need it.

the burning smell is the airbag discharge cap. it ignites a solid state nitorgen canister. which expands rapidly into the airbag.

yea way to go soon to be college grad

give myself a P on the B

14. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue New Member

Those pictures look an awful lot like my 97 Saturn looked after an accident last month. It was a total. (Which is why I'm shopping for a Prius now!) Of course your sparkly new Prius would be worth much much more than my Saturn was but I'm thinking that whoever said that you surely had very pricey drivetrain/engine damage was right.

I hope you can get a new Prius pretty fast... I actually hear the wait in or around Chicago isn't too bad... unlike where I live in D.C.

15. elphaba

elphaba New Member

Whoops! Sorry about that. I misunderstood what he said. :) Thanks for clarifying.

16. elphaba

elphaba New Member

Oddly enough, it was perfectly clear the night it happened (Friday, January 7 around 9:45 pm). We got a great deal of snow on Wednesday and Thursday, but the roads were fine by Friday.

The ironic thing is that I stayed home from work on Wednesday and Thursday (I have a 35 mile commute each way) because the roads were so bad and accidents were happening left and right....

Go figure that a few days later when the roads were CLEAR, this happened. ::sigh::

17. Vernon

Vernon New Member

What kind of car did you hit? Was the other driver injured?

18. elphaba

elphaba New Member

The other car involved was a 2000 Honda Civic. The other driver (he was the only person in the car) was trapped in his car initially. The impact was to his driver's side, so the door was crunched in. They cut him out and took him to the local hospital. I assume he sustained some injuries. Whether they were major or minor, I don't know. I haven't heard anything yet about what happened to him.

19. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow, I'm so glad you walked away from this accident. Danny's right--go to a doctor and don't admit that you're "OK" to an insurance company until you let a good amount of time pass.

BTW one reason I went with 21st Century insurance (it was a few dollars more than the cheapest quote I got) was because they specify OEM parts (VERY important as far as I'm concerned) and for a one-year period they completely replace a brand-new car if it's totalled.

Best of luck in getting this resolved. You definitely CAN find a Prius quickly at MSRP in the color and package you want--it just takes some time on your part to e-mail dealers. You're more likely to get a good price from the fleet/internet department than from the sales department, so check with dealers within a certain radius from your home. I hope you're enjoying your new one soon!

BTW Manny and I know that Salsa is the BEST color...just think how pretty a red Prius would look in your driveway! :)

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oddly enough, I think there was a recent post saying someone from out of state went to Tyson's Corner to get one more quickly!