1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IN car phone carrier

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Carlton W Terry, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Carlton W Terry

Carlton W Terry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A. The Built-in phone for all communications is Verizon. IS there a way, or has anyone tried to switch service providers? B. Like a T-Mobile home unit for Wifi in the car, and car communications? C. Where is it even located? D. Does it even make sense to anyone? E. Would it be worth it?

2. Carlton W Terry

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius V5.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. Carlton W Terry

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    YES. IS there any way to remove Verizon for any other carrier?

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Change the SIM card? Assuming the system is not under a carrier lock. About which I have no information.

Carlton W Terry likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Knowing how Toyota deals with customer configurable options for most features, I highly doubt it can be changed. No I don't have Toyota Safety Connect on my vehicle and I have no interest in having one no matter who is a carrier.

7. Carlton W Terry

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the updates. :)

8. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The data charge for the Toyota Verizon WiFi hotspot is VERY high. And does the hotspot even have a SIM card?

The similar Toyota WiFi hotspot for Europe does for sure have a SIM card slot and Toyota advertises that any provider's SIM card can be used in it.

Why don't you just use a cell phone as a WiFi hotspot in your vehicles? It is possible to configure a cell phone to automatically enable its hotspot when a Bluetooth connection between a cell phone and a vehicle in-dash system is detected and to disable its hotspot when the Bluetooth connection ends. I use the free Android app "iBolt Dock'n Drive" to do it. There is also an iOS version of Dock'n Drive.

9. Carlton W Terry

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have been using my car for Lyft, and T_mobile has so dead zones so I would like to use a cheaper version of Verizon for those times when I have no connection on my phone, with an extra 40 a month cost. I was thinking about a provider that used a verzion network, like Boost in the car, take could give to my guests too maybe.

10. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Boost sells mobile hotspots. Boost Mobile Unveils 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Devices and Data Plans

"$49.99 for a mobile hotspot device and $25 per month for a 1.5GB data plan. A 10GB mobile hotspot data plan is also available for $50 a month."

1.5GB is "nothing" - I can blow through that in an hour. 10GB for $50 seems rather high and that's not much for lasting an entire month - especially with multiple users. I'm paying $75/month for 32GB on my AT&T phone and that includes "rollover" of unused data to the next month. One of my friends caught a promotion with AT&T and has a far better deal than I have.

I should mention that the rate I'm paying to AT&T includes a 25% corporate discount. If the company I retired from didn't have a corporate discount deal with AT&T, I could get the same 25% discount one of several other ways, e.g. ex-military. Cell phone discounts sometimes seem like only a ploy to attract customers. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a discount for people with blue eyes!

There may soon be more hotspot options from Toyota. I don't know if Toyota is ditching Verizon but the 2020 Highlander is going to have an AT&T hotspot: World Premiere of All-New 2020 Highlander at New York International Auto Show | Toyota