1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In Case...

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by mr88cet, Sep 18, 2018.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just in case any of you didn’t already see this...

———————————

Dear Toyota Owner,

Thank you for being a Toyota Entune App Suite customer.

As technology and markets change, third-party application providers continuously evolve their products and services. On November 13th, 2018, a multimedia system update will appear on your vehicle display. After completion, Pandora, OpenTable, and Facebook Places will no longer be available in Entune App Suite, as these products and services will no longer be supported by the third-party application providers.

In your Toyota, you can still enjoy Pandora and other popular music applications via Bluetooth or USB connection. For your device's compatibility and pairing instruction, please visit Toyota.com/entune.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 Monday - Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, or Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

Sincerely,

Toyota Entune Customer Support

2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So Entune 2.0 is becoming even less useful than before. Oh well, entune is about the only thing I don't like (at all) in our Primes.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, what happens if you do not update Entune? Can you keep Pandora[​IMG], OpenTable[​IMG], and Facebook Places ???o_O
    Well, it really doesn't matter to me, I have not even installed Entune on my phone nor have I registered for an Entune App Suite account. Oh, I forgot, there is no Entune App for my Windows Phone. LOL:ROFLMAO:

#3 Salamander_King, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is very upsetting. I use pandora all the time. They honestly believe that taking my phone out of my pocket, starting pandora, and choosing my station, and then putting the phone back in my pocket, just to take it out whenever I want to change stations, is a real, OK alternative?

This is insane. It effectively makes it impossible to switch stations or create new stations. This might be what pushes me to go to a CarPlay aftermarket unit.

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I personally haven’t used Pandora a lot, but I sympathize. Perhaps with a good phone mounting on your dash it’s feasible to use the phone in that way?

iPad ? Pro

6. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah that is a possibility, I just hate the idea of having to take my phone out of my pocket every time I get in/out of the car, just so I can click things on a small touch screen when I have a giant one which used to do it a few inches away.

I'd be interested in replacing the head unit, there are very few "car specific" things that the head unit lets you do, like viewing some mileage information or a hybrid system indicator. There is also some kind of maintenance app where you can put things you've done into it and supposedly get reminders, I have not used it and have not seen anyone use it.(the top screen maintenance 5k mile is unrelated to this) I just would like to have wireless CarPlay, keep my XM, keep my hdradio, keep my steering wheel controls, and keep my offline GPS in addition to CarPlay GPS.

I have yet to see someone successfully do this with Gen 4/Prime, I've seen a lot of success with gen 3 though.

#6 liquidtenmillion, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At one point, I was deciding between cultivating Pandora or Sirius XM. At the time, I decided on sticking with Sirius, but I’m considering canceling it at some point. Reasons:
    — $20/month is a bit much (then again, streaming over LTE isn’t free, but considerably cheaper).
    — They have only two Classical-music channels, one of which is not my favorite (opera).
    — They screw up EQ (usually pointlessly jacking the bass way up). The P.Prime let’s us adjust EQ by source, so I turn the bass down on XM, which helps, but the amount they jack up the bass doesn’t seem to be consistent from channel to channel (e.g., less on the classical channel).
    — The sound quality is “fair,” but not great (Pandora, from what I’ve heard, isn’t a lot better, although somewhat better).

On the other hand, their comedy channels are pretty amusing sometimes, plus they do have some good channels for music I don’t have other good sources for, like 1940s Swing/big band, assorted mellow stuff, bluegrass, continuous BBC radio, etc. So, I’m still deliberating on whether or not to axe them...

8. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    never pay full price on sirus... let you're radio go inactive and they'll send you discount's that make it a lot cheaper.

mr88cet likes this.
  9. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Just to let you know, a bit stressful, but if you call siriusxm and threaten to cancel every time you are up for renewal they will drop the price down to $5 a month. I've been doing this for years and they've moved me to the $60 per year XM Select which gets everything except Howard stern and NFL, I believe. They always offer you two other 'barely discounts' before they offer you $5 a month.

mr88cet likes this.
  10. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    what good is XM in a Prius when the Prius dosent get any of the good channels over 250?

mr88cet likes this.
  11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Excellent tip, thanks!

I could deal with $10/month, but $20 is a bit much for as little as I listen to it.

12. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are some “reasonably decent” channels, from my perspective, but not $20/month worth.

13. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, I would never pay more than the $5 a month discount. Luckily every time I've needed to renew I was able to achieve it, but if by chance your customer service rep doesn't want to do it you can actually cancel and then they send you an email with a special $5 a month discount for 6 months. Once you're on the discount it's a lot easier, just tell them you will cancel unless you receive the exact same discount again.

$20 a months is insane. In today's world that won't fly anymore. With FM being free, and everyone using bluetooth audio and things like Spotify and pandora. There is no way that XM should cost more than Spotify and Apple Music combined, both of which let you listen to any song you want whenever you want.

14. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, I gather you need to actually cancel it completely for real before they send such a lower-price offer?

I called them saying (essentially), “I’m paying $20, but only getting $10 worth of value from my subscription.” They weren’t impressed; just offered a smaller channel package for $15...

iPad ? Pro

15. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's very annoying to deal with, but they follow the same strategy every time. You an get XM Select for 5$ a month, it is the 2nd highest package. To do so you have to call and cancel, tell them it is because of cost. They will offer a very small deal, like 6 months for 70$, refuse and say you still want to cancel. They will then offer 12 months for 110$, refuse again, and they will then offer 6 months for 30$.

mr88cet likes this.