1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In dash GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chuckknight, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With an '06-'09 Prius the only method I've seen for video input would be devices like the Ultimate Lockpick from CoastaleTech, which only accept the yellow RCA connection composite video which most laptops, if equipped, will be in the form of an s-video connection with a composite adapter. I haven't seen this form of output on any netbooks yet, then again I haven't been looking for one. On the other hand, a lot of mini-itx boards do have that form of output so they could probably be interfaced with the MFD via that method, although there will be no touch-screen control, you'd still have to have a keyboard and some sort of mouse/touchpad. I haven't yet seen any mass marketed products that can interface VGA, DVI or HDMI or anything else to the MFD in an '06-'09 Prius. Unless you can find some sort of adapter to convert VGA to composite?

2. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fry's had a flip out unit yesterday, for only $277. Not a bad little system, but it lacked GPS. DARN. And, it didn't come out the requisite 1.5", so double DARN! This made me rethink my approach.

My business is on-site tech support. My requirements are simple...GPS that actually works, and preferably with all the bells and whistles. I'd *like* it to be in the dashboard, but this is not a requirement...only a would-be-nice.

Since I do tech support, having a laptop with me makes sense. This functionality can be offered by a laptop. But, laptops are big and comparatively heavy, and hard to hide.

So, I've pretty much decided on using a netbook instead of a dedicated in-dash GPS, because it will be a fully charged mini-laptop that's always with me. It would give me both functions in one.

My desire is still to get it integrated with the MFD, though, so I'll be looking into hacks for the netbooks. Surely there's a way to do it...they used to make composite adapters for VGA, called scan adapters, if memory serves.

Chuck