1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In November, 700 Intercontinental Weapons Were Launched Against the USA?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Feb 3, 2023.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bunker?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is election season ever not around the corner?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "i wonder if election season weren't around the corner, if joe would be using these same tactics"

Let's step back. Post-facto media reports that more than a few high-altitude balloons have gone widely, over quite some years maybe. Previous President might never have been informed, for whatever reasons. But now it's front-page stuff, so not responding is not an option.

There are balloons, and now they are noticed and undesired, so P46 must shot them. Maybe a lower-cost way than F-22 will be established, going forward. Maybe some intel can be gleaned from dissecting them, but do not expect much disclosed about that :rolleyes:. Expect instead that ABlinken may have a bargaining chip for international relations. With U Know Hu.

I wonder though, when is election season not around the corner? And what difference that could make to people who swore oaths to protect etc. (Constitution) if some foreign harm seems to present itself.

#183 tochatihu, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Groundhog Day......

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a second term president might not behave the same way. after knowing about possibly hundreds of these ufo's, were suddenly going to shoot everything down that we encounter?

politicians swear oaths with their fingers crossed behind their backs

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder if by universal treaty, a collection of troposphere, 55,000 ft, instrumented balloons, might improve earth weather prediction:
    • GPS transponder - exact location and aviation avoidance
    • temperature+humidity H{2}O
    • CO{2}, CH{4} other gasses
    • no optics since satellites can handle this
    One minor point:
    One should avoid attributing lying when incompetence, ignorance, and sloth are likely.

Bob Wilson

#186 bwilson4web, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Undoubtedly.....
    HOWEVER (comma!)
    Universal treaties.....aren't!
    They aren't even uniform on this eensy-weensy insignificant little mote in a sub-par solar system....

Locally, gas bags are a little harder to control above FL549 and the jet stream peters out above that as well.
    Besides.....currently international law stops/starts a the Karmen line (FL3300) and despite the fact that there's quite a bit of 'air up there' (space) there isn't much ATMOSPHERE left after about FL600 making gas bags even harder to control.

Think about it.
    If the UN were anything more than a really bad joke, then they would have been in Turkey the firstest with the mostest, or heck...at least just been there in numbers that were detectable.
    SO....there's a 0.000000% chance that you could get JUST the permanent members of the security council to approve of an 'open skies' weather balloon amnesty treaty....and an even smaller likelihood that such a treaty would be ratified in the US.

And even after ALL THAT......who would enforce the treaty???

The UN, perhaps? :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Speaking of controlling gas bags....
    Concur....
    Mockery erupts after Jean-Pierre claims Biden is the "best communicator" in the White House: Explains a lot!"

#187 ETC(SS), Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "The US is reportedly examining the possibility that the Chinese spy balloon was pushed off course by strong winds when it entered US airspace, having tracked it since its launch days earlier."
    Chinese spy balloon may have been blown off intended course – report | Espionage | The Guardian

So the US was tracking it from the beginning. Intelligence services are probably annoyed they can no longer just watch them, and feed them false info anymore.

"“Violations of airspace by foreign unmanned reconnaissance balloons and other means that can be shot down are totally unacceptable,”"
    fify

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Troposphere tops out at ~74,000 ft high latitudes and ~47,500 ft equatorial. I don't favor this idea because sensors accurate enough to improve existing CO2 and methane maps are not cheap.

A moderate number of commercial jets are already flying around with CO2 sensors, adding instrumentation to those might be a good move.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too bad for the balloon, but a story NIBBB members will be telling for years. :)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Biden says other objects shot down were not balloons

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a transcript of what he actually said? I may have seen differing reports.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Biden: "The intelligence community’s current assessment is that these three objects were most likely balloons tied to private companies, recreation or research institutions studying weather or conducting other scientific research.”

Biden says objects shot down over North America last week appear to not be part of China's spy balloon operation | CNN Politics

Video at 1:23 here:
    Biden says 3 unidentified objects shot down likely not spy balloons | PBS NewsHour

15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UFO Downed by $400,000 Missile May Have Been $12 Hobby Balloon
    Mylar is an excellent material BOITH for balloons AND radar reflectors, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that a privately owned balloon with an active radio transponder might be mistaken for something more nefarious.

Damn good resolution BOTH on the search and on the fire-control radars but I'm sorta wondering how they shot the thing down?
    I'm thinking that the AIM-9x missile (called a 'Sidewinder' by many) is a heat-seeker.

A mylar balloon would be thermally uninteresting, especially up North.

Also, absenting adult LEADERSHIP.......where an increasingly lazy and stupid media are left blundering about in speculation as to what was shot down and how much the ordinance cost, I'd like to point out that fighter aircraft are a expensive as heck to operate.
    Raptors are reportedly north of $50,000 per flight hour.....so the rocket might not be the 'spendy part.'

I EXPECT our media to be reliably incurious where the performance of the current administration is concerned, but are they NOT curious about ANYTHING???

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greater pico balloon detail from Aviation Week:

Hobby Club’s Missing Balloon Feared Shot Down By USAF | Aviation Week Network

"The balloons carry an 11-gram tracker on a tether, along with HF and VHF/UHF antennas to update their positions to ham radio receivers around the world. At any given moment, several dozen such balloons are aloft, with some circling the globe several times before they malfunction or fail for other reasons. The launch teams seldom recover their balloons."

"Three countries—North Korea, Yemen and the UK—restrict transmissions from balloons in their airspace, so the community has integrated geofencing software into the tracking devices. The balloons still overfly the countries, but do not transmit their positions over their airspace."

It seems that the FAA regulations apply to objects exceeding 6 pounds (~2700 grams). I'm seeing typical pico balloon payload weights variously listed as 6 to 11 grams. For comparison, the hummingbirds visiting the feeder just outside my window are typically 3 to 6 grams, while the crows out on the fence are typically 300 to 600 grams. The Canada Geese that took down the "Miracle on the Hudson" flight are typically 2500 to 6000 grams, so should be filing flight plans with the FAA. ;)

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I hope they get a "worked all stealth fighters" award out of this.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Crows are about half that weight and ravens about twice that, I guess you saw a turducken.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In the daytime, the balloon envelope would have a specular reflection of the sun, no? I'd think they'd attack from the sun to minimize the chance of the missile directly seeking the sun as SOP. I'd expect that reflection to make a decent target.

Even so it is impressive for sensitivity.

Also, the payload below had solar panels. They're converting visible light to electricity... mostly.... but they're also absorbing IR. Again, an impressive sighting for the missile.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went by wikipedia's page for American crow:

"From beak to tail, an American crow measures 40–50 cm (16–20 in), almost half of which is tail. Mass varies from about 300 to 600 g (11 to 21 oz), with males tending to be larger than females."

However, it shows nearly three dozen crow varieties:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow