1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In November, 700 Intercontinental Weapons Were Launched Against the USA?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Feb 3, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Other than identification of our spies, there is too much classification going on. It leads to intellectual inbreeding of the staff and decision makers. Too much stovepiping.

Bob Wilson

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first paragraph from the Conclusion:

Chargé Ross Wilson left Kabul on the last flight from HKIA on August 31, 2021. The Department and interagency effort to process Afghans who have left or were evacuated and to assist U.S. citizens and SIV applicants now trying to leave the country continues to this day. Still, the departure of the last U.S. military and civilian officials effectively marks the end of a 20-year effort at nation building in Afghanistan. A study of the reasons for the failure of that effort is well beyond the scope of this report, but the sudden departure of President Ghani and the collapse of Afghan Security Forces served as a stark reminder that the future of the country would ultimately be determined by the Afghans themselves, not the United States and its allies and partners. Two U.S. Presidents had decided to withdraw U.S. military forces from Afghanistan on the basis of an agreement negotiated with the Taliban, even as the United States worked to secure at the negotiating table an intra-Afghan peace deal that might bring peace after decades of war. That deal never materialized, but even up to the fall of Kabul, there were efforts underway in Doha to reach an accord that might have created an interim government and allowed the U.S. civilian mission in Afghanistan to remain. Many observers believe that the Taliban used the February 2020 Agreement as a way to simply run out the clock pending the departure of U.S. forces, while President Ghani seemed never fully to appreciate the gravity of the situation or believed that, somehow, the United States might reconsider the decision to withdraw its forces. He also resented having to cooperate with implementation of an agreement that he had never signed.

That pretty much covers what I remember. Is there some quote from the report that you wish to emphasize?

Bob Wilson

#284 bwilson4web, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "The US State Department on Friday released its long-awaited Afghanistan After Action Review report, which found that both the Trump and Biden administrations’ decisions to pull all US troops from Afghanistan had detrimental consequences, and details damning shortcomings by the current administration that led to the deadly and chaotic US withdrawal from that country after nearly two decades on the ground

A senior State Department official did not explain why it had taken so long for the report to be published, nor why it was released before a holiday weekend, saying they would not discuss questions related to “process.”

Asked about the report on Friday and whether he admitted there were “mistakes during the withdrawal,” Biden noted that he had vowed that al Qaeda “wouldn’t be there.”"

US State Dept report details failed crisis management during Afghanistan evacuations (france24.com)
    "US officials were inhibited during mass evacuations from Afghanistan in 2021 by a lack of clear decision-making, an absence of centralized crisis management and confusing public messaging, an internal report found."
    "But it said that the operation faced a "major challenge" as senior officials in President Joe Biden's administration "had not made clear decisions" ahead of time about which at-risk Afghans to assist.

"Constantly changing policy guidance and public messaging from Washington regarding which populations were eligible for relocation and how the embassy should manage outreach and flow added to the confusion and often failed to take into account key facts on the ground," it said."

"The United States recently was reported to be planning evacuation plans for a potential crisis in Taiwan."

#285 John321, Jul 1, 2023
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A well known al Qaeda operative living openly in Afghanistan met a specialized, non-explosive, bladed missile:

The R9X warhead-less missile, fitted with lasers, is then dropped to hit the target. Just before impact, six blades swing out of the side of the missile to kill only the intended target, thereby preventing the deaths of bystanders that explosive missiles often lead to.

Bob Wilson

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hit-to-kill missiles have out for a while, but it's good to see that they've been scaled down to deal with one bean at a time without having to wait patiently for them to come out in the open.

It will make weddings somewhat safer.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What a nightmare world we build.

bisco likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "When people get into trouble - they send for the sons-of-bitches."

A quote often miss-attributed to one Earnest J King, FADM USN.
    It fitted him so well that when asked about it by a very brave, very foolish, or very attractive female junior officer he quipped that he only wished he'd thought of it.

I tend to take the word of my nation's enemies about their intentions.
    Play stupid games?
    Win stupid prizes.
    Wedding Party Airstrike are three words that one SHOULD NOT normally string together, but we've managed to crash those parties quite often over the last 25 years, often killing more than a dozen people at a time.
    Before that it was carpet-bombing - two MORE words that should be disassociated.

Precision Bombing has been kicked around since the end of the War to End All Wars. The Bomber Mafia, is the title of a sorta-kinda accurate book written by Malcom Gladwell. Part of it describes a close-knit group of American military men who believed that long-range heavy bomber aircraft in large numbers were able to win a war - a concept that's been roundly rejected by any passing glance at history.
    Still - precision (surgical?) air strikes remain the military's favorite fantasy even in the 2020's.
    They are equivalent to a phaser set on stun....AND (thus far) about as technologically achievable.

The ONE TIME that daylight precision bombing wound up being the knock-out punch was conducted in a nearly 14-year old WORLD war.
    Only racist westerners think that Dubbaya Dubbaya Too started in 1939.....

One bomb was precisely delivered one time to one target - riiight?
    Nope!
    It took two atomic bombs delivered to Imperial Japan and the second one so badly miss-aimed that it DID unintentionally do more damage to a legitimate military target, and less to the city (Nagasaki) that was targeted. A third strike was planned and scheduled as soon as that third core could be delivered.
    Meanwhile, Japan's military conducted a (real, not fake!) insurrection that only failed because they could not find the Emperor's capitulation recording.
    It was hidden in, LITERALLY, a concubine's quarters.

People are selective in the things that disturb them.

History justifiably laments the tens of thousands of people that were killed in two atomic raids in the summer of 1945, but nobody seems to recall the quarter million people that were fire-roasted in Japan's paper cities the previous spring when we started using napalm instead of TNT or Amatol.

Falling blades of death from a drone?
    War only comes in two flavors, and so anything we can do to limit war fighting's human effects, I'm here for.

#289 ETC(SS), Jul 1, 2023
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is the restart of this thread an attempt to get trump re-elected?

Trollbait and Doug McC like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope.
    The DNC and the Fourth Estate have that covered......

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Man is a beast to his fellow man, and everything else as well.
    We call ourselves civilized, but no objective observer would

Doug McC likes this.
  12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yep, we’re the only species that tortures and kills members of our own species and members of others for pleasure or enjoyment, and then keeps body parts as trophies.

bisco likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a reason why people in the military study history.
    Actually, there are TWO very GOOD reasons.

War is a human constant. To understand history is perhaps to discover ways to amerlorate the people-cost - to say nothing of the cost in treasure and natural resources.

War is also the most efficient form of Darwinism, especially since it usually involves very young and very male humans.
    If you don't study history....you might not get have much of one.

William Tecumseh Sherman famously said "War is Hell."
    Bill Sherman isn't really very popular in the Deep South, even today.
    Before he burned Atlanta (he ordered it evacuated first) he addressed that city's council saying in part:
    "You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace."
    Sherman understood the concept of TOTAL WAR.
    If you're going to fight a nation, you have to take that fight to the people who elect (or are subjugated by) the leaders of that nation, and thus there are very few 'non-legitimate' military targets.

Bill also understood politics.
    His other oft-quoted if slightly misquoted quote is:
    I hereby state, and mean all that I say, that I never have been and never will be a candidate for President; that if nominated by either party, I should peremptorily decline; and even if unanimously elected I should decline to serve."
    After 150 years, a 'Sherman statement,' 'Sherman speech,' or the 'full Sherman,' is American political jargon for a clear and direct statement by a potential candidate indicating that they will not run for a particular elected position.

SO...
    Keep that money going to Ukraine whilst telling everybody how evil human beings are!!!! ;)

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder. Darwin will efficiently select those young male humans most fit for their immediate circumstances (infantry or tank battles or dogfighting or whatever) ... or the ones who are being most capably commanded (regardless of how much influence they had on what group they'd be assigned to or who would command them).

All the same, one can hope that eventually peace breaks out (for a time, anyway), and the humans who were thus selected under those conditions then find that things depend on their fitness under conditions of peacetime society.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sending any money to ukraine, but i did send some relief to the (mostly) innocents

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    darwinism (in regards to war) has not produced a better, higher, more intelligent species, just survival of the fortunate.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might makes right is getting old?

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately since I'm not wealthy enough to avoid paying federal income taxes, I am most assuredly helping pay for part of the war in Ukraine, as well as relief for some of the civvies that are left.
    Southern Baptists have deep missionary roots in that part of the world from before the series of unfortunate events that led us to start paying for offensive weapons instead of the 'non military aid' we used to send them a couple of Presidents ago.
    Timeline: The events leading up to Russia's invasion of Ukraine | Reuters